• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Those clever Dutch and their gold medals.

pstall

Calling an old lady stupid is hardly a world class move. It wasn't a local lady either. She works for the network and it's her job to ensure, out of respect to even the great Sven, that his name is prounounced correctly and spelled correctly. If your cranium can't absorb that I hope you never get lost at the Zoo.

Might be hard to find a vid with someone standing next to the pool while holding a microphone that is plugged into an outlet. Or even a wireless mic.

There is some vids of a press conf where a huge name placard is in front of his name on the table.

I will see what I can come up with.

Was that the first thing they asked Michael Phelps to say when he won gold? If so, I concede.

She only did it cause she didn't do her homework. If she was so concerned, she should have said it herself.

She didn't do her homework? Really?

So you are saying that on one day's notice she should have known (by sight, mind you), not only every athlete in ever heat of every event on that day (probably about 30-40 people), but how to correclty spell and pronounce their name? If you expect that any journalist from any other country (not just the ignorant, xenophobic, self-entitled, superior, self-agrandizing, capitalist, imperialist, evil Galactic Empire USA) is doing that, then I concede, because you're not worth arguing with.

And FYI, I would ask Michael Phelps to spell his name. If for no other reason than to get good audio. You always want to get a baseline volume for your cameraman so that he doesn't have to fudge with it when you start asking real questions, and asking to say and spell a name is the fastest, and most natural way to do that.

Well that still doesn't excuse the guys ridiculous attitude. I sense he has a little animosity for the US, and this was just his sounding board to try to paint Americans as ignorant when really this is pretty standard.

If it weren't for Doutzen Kroes, I'd say without hesitation, "Fug the Dutch and their wooden shoes!"

doutzen-kroes-2009-victorias-secret-swim-collection-2.jpg

Robin Roberts talked about this on GMA this morning and she too talked about Karma. She was speaking as someone who once was a sports reporter and said that it was very common to ask an athlete that has a name that might be mispronounced to say their name. Mentioned that most Americans were think of it as Kramer with a long A instead of the way it was pronounced. And being that he was being interviewed for an American audience, it wasn't out of line. Call it American arrogance all you want, next time the reporter should call him Kramer with a long A.

Calling an old lady stupid is hardly a world class move. It wasn't a local lady either. She works for the network and it's her job to ensure, out of respect to even the great Sven, that his name is prounounced correctly and spelled correctly. If your cranium can't absorb that I hope you never get lost at the Zoo.

I was watching this show on TrueTV called NFL Full Contact... There was a Young British Reporter who was supposed to interview Wes Welker when they played in the UK. Do you know what she did????

Before the interview she prepared for the interview and was asking about him, his name, number, so she wouldn't have to ask someone she's interviewing their information.

Doing her Job

I was watching this show on TrueTV called NFL Full Contact... There was a Young British Reporter who was supposed to interview Wes Welker when they played in the UK. Do you know what she did????

Before the interview she prepared for the interview and was asking about him, his name, number, so she wouldn't have to ask someone she's interviewing their information.

Doing her Job

Was she under a deadline to get that interview out to a network of affiliates back in the UK?

Apples and oranges.

The Olympic thing was a normal setup where after winning to get a response from the winner to send NATIONWIDE THAT SAME NIGHT, the woman was doing her job by getting the bare min facts to put with a mini presser or release to send back. She basically wasn't doing a standard interview where she edits and such herself.

Plus no telling how long the woman had been there and how many mini set ups she had done.

I have been interviewed on tv before and they got me to write my name down even after telling them my name and my name is pretty simple.

All numbnuts had to do was give the basic info and move on. But calling some woman stupid tells us all we need to know.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/25/olympics.bobsled.driver.quits/index.html?hpt=C1

Fear prompts bobsledders to quit Olympics

Tom de la Hunty took Dutch bobsledder Edwin van Calker to the Whistler Sliding Center track one last time Tuesday and asked his driver if he could do it.

He wasn't asking him to win; he was asking him whether he could compete. The coach and his pilot walked the course, and de la Hunty told van Calker to think about it, giving him an hour to make a decision.

Time offered no healing. Van Calker told his coach he just couldn't drive this track and so on Wednesday the four-man No. 1 sled from the Netherlands pulled out of the Olympics.

Because their driver was terrified.

more in the link

I wonder if this is more karma

Archived