• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Tabor- Meet the Candidate- Part 9 of 12

ProcessBlue2

Other than reminding me of Jon and Jay Gruden’s potentially lost cousin, Tabor reminds me of my uncle. So happy-go-lucky and positive, I really miss seeing him around holidays like these. While I think his chances are slim, I think there is a fraction of a chance. So let’s look at it.

Chris Tabor, Interim HC/STC- Carolina Panthers

Chris Tabor was born in 1971 in St. Joseph, MO. He was the son of a high school football coach and would play QB for Benedictine College just a few miles from his hometown. His brothers: Donnie, Matt, and Michael would also play football for Benedictine College. He would coach a season at his alma mater, Benton High School and then Hutchinson Community College for a year each. He would then go to Central Methodist for two years as OC before a 4-year stint at Missouri. In his time at Missouri he would spend 3 years as a Graduate Assistant before moving to Running Backs and Special Teams Coach in his final season.

In 2001, he would be named Head Coach for Culver-Stockton College in Canton, MO where he would lead them to a 6-5 record. From 02-05 Tabor called Utah State home, where he coached various positions along with Special Teams and would serve as Assistant Head Coach for a stint. In 06 and 07 he would coach Running Backs and Special Teams at Western Michigan before getting his NFL break.

He was hired in 2008 by Lovie Smith to be the Assistant Special Teams Coach under Dave Toub for the Chicago Bears. For those unaware, Dave Toub is arguably one of the best ones to coach STs and has spent the last 10 or so years in Kansas City with Andy Reid. He would spend 3 seasons with Toub in Chicago before getting hired by Pat Shurmur in Cleveland as Special Teams Coordinator.

During his time in Cleveland he would be retained by 3 new Head Coaches following his initial hiring by Shurmur in 2011- Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, and Hugh Jackson. In 2018, he left Cleveland to return to Chicago as Nagy’s Special Teams Coordinator until the staff was fired following the 2021 season. During the 2021 season he served as interim HC for Nagy during a loss against the 49ers. Matt Rhule hired Tabor going into 2022, and he was retained under new HC Frank Reich going into 2023. With 6 games left in this season, he was named Interim HC after Reich’s firing.

The thing about Tabor is there has been a noticeable change. Almost immediately the offense was opened up some and there is somewhat of a run game. After this past week, Bryce looks like he is getting the guidance he needs and there are some signs of growth. I would dare say the team itself appears to be more motivated at 2-13 than it was at 0-0.  So, what are his odds at HC? Well... there’s a small shot.

In a few other write-ups I have talked about the scenario where the good candidates get missing early in a cycle with more teams than usual needing a HC. During this scenario where you have to pick between Kellen Moore, Bobby Slowik, or a guy on your staff already. Do you just go with your guy? Well, I think so. Most of these coaches are still under contract, there may be another season of Scott Fitterer, and there isn’t a 1st round pick to look forward to. If you finish the season with some momentum, why not give your guy a shot going into a year with depleted resources?

I know, I know- you’re thinking well why wouldn’t you give it to Evero? Well, who’s to say he wants it, especially in some Tepper gamble year where he has Fitterer walking hot coals inside the halls of BOA stadium each day. Besides, Tepper may just choose Tabor anyways to let the coordinators focus on their jobs and redeem their sins from this past year.

I never said it was likely, but it is an option and I’m not shocked if he gets an interview out of respect at the least. I am also not going to be surprised if he stays in his same role for a new coach. I debated on whether or not to include him in the 12, and after thinking on it I decided to add him. Simply because I think he has about the same odds as Evero.

• Pie 2