• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Toofs

Delhommey

So, looks like I'll need two crowns (molars). Cost with insurance? At least $1600, and with all the little blurbs I'm getting from my insurance company and the dentist about "that doesn't cover incidentals and precious metals" I'm sure it will end up $2000.

So, Mexico or just pull em out with a pair of pliers? What say you?

I'm honestly thinking about just getting them pulled. Both these teeth have given me nothing but trouble.

I did that with one of my molars instead of a crown.....they warned me that it would cause my teeth to seperate a bit over time and they did but it actually helped me. I am sure Epi would be the expert on pros vs. cons on this though.

I had two pulled by the dentist last year... a lot cheaper route, especially if you just leave the holes there and don't get a partial or anything...

I can't really chew anything on that side now though, because the teeth are opposite of each other (one on top, one on the bottom, same tooth position)...

I just had 3 old fillings drilled out and replaced on the other side back in January, plus another new filling on the 4th tooth in that line... It cost me $200 something out of my pocket that day, and now I have used up my insurance allowance for the entire year...

I'm scheduled for a similar procedure in March, 3 teeth underneath those need the fillings drilled out and replaced... I am gonna have to put it off until next year now...

The biggest downside is that he obviously did something this past time, because I wasn't having any trouble with those teeth... Now I have a spot on one that he "repaired" that I suspect has a flex-crack, because it's super sensitive to hot/cold, and if anything hits it just right, it hurts...

This is the reason I quit going to the dentist so many years ago, and it appears I am on the verge of stopping again... In my personal experience, they have done more harm than good...

Epi, I know you'll blame me for the most part, and that's understandable, but for the cost/trouble, it just isn't worth it to me...

I had a bad molar, 2nd from the back and I opted to get a dental implant. If you're not familiar with them, they pull the tooth, graft some bone into the hole and mount a screw permanently into your jaw(not as painful as it sounds). The screw has a post sticking out of it that they mount a false tooth to. It's false, but they color match it to the rest of your teeth and it's made of material with similar properties to real teeth. The reason it's better than a crown is that you don't have to whittle two other good teeth down to nothing to mount it. I've had mine for about a year and I can chew gum with it, and nothing gets underneath it because it's flush tightly with my gum line. I think they run about $2K or $3K, but since you're so young, why not splurge on something you have to use every day for the rest of your life?

wow that's expensive!

My teeth on the right side are really sensitive to cold. I don't know what that means but its starting to become painful. I don't want to spend the $$$$. maybe i should wait and pick up dental insurance on our next renewal.

Archived