• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ever been to the Caribbean?

Samuel L. Jackson

So, wifey and I are looking to head to the Caribbean one more time before she gets too preggo (she's due at the end of August)... Right now, we are looking at making it a long Easter weekend...

Our only experience there has been via cruise lines... We've been to Belize, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Norwegian's private island in the Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. John, Tortola, and the Dominican Republic...

We're looking to stay at a nice resort/villa/whatever where we can do some snorkeling and soaking up the rays, but it needn't be all inclusive because she can't drink, and I don't... plus, I'm a picky eater...

Anyone got any experiences with staying anywhere in the Caribbean for a few days?

Never been and I'm afraid and her is why. I'm afraid I would NEVER retrun. Simply because it looks amazing down there and I'm a surf nut so I would never wanna come back to the states.

Then don't!

It sounds like that is just what you should be doing man.

Oh. I'm not scared of the countries. Its a take off of the old joke about missing work and to call in scared. "hey, this is pstall, I'm afraid I won't be making it in today".

Thats all I'm saying. My wife and I have the 15th aniv coming up and I'm eyeballing either New Mexico or a cruise.

So, wifey and I are looking to head to the Caribbean one more time before she gets too preggo (she's due at the end of August)... Right now, we are looking at making it a long Easter weekend...

Our only experience there has been via cruise lines... We've been to Belize, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Norwegian's private island in the Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. John, Tortola, and the Dominican Republic...

We're looking to stay at a nice resort/villa/whatever where we can do some snorkeling and soaking up the rays, but it needn't be all inclusive because she can't drink, and I don't... plus, I'm a picky eater...

Anyone got any experiences with staying anywhere in the Caribbean for a few days?

I've been bareboating in the BVIs twice. Jamaica a few times. Cayman once. Barbados once. Bermuda (not really Caribbean)

I would do none of those except maybe Barbados.

From what I have heard I would do St Martin, or Antigua or maybe Aruba but depends on what you like

Im more of a Mexico, non-mega-resort fan, than the Islands. That being said, ive been to Peter Island, B.V.I.. Ive been to The Bahamas too, which im guessing you dont consider the Carib.

Peter Island was very nice. That being said, if i went back id probably go to a different resort. Maybe Little Dix Bay, or that nice place on St.John...cant think of the name.

I think both of those are laid back and not surrounded by tons of huge resorts, like i think St.Thomas is..at least in my mind.

Peter Island is cool because the resort has the whole private island. Lots of stars/rich people will dock there for the day. Nothing crazy, just fun laying on the beach trying to guess who's yacht was anchored that day. Not super rich/famous, but Dee Snider and his whole family was staying the resort when we stayed there, which i thought was very funny. "I honeymooned with Dee Snider"

Not crowded, decent service for the Carib. (I find Mexican service 10x better in my admitted limited Carib experience)

Makes you see how people like Skew can get so addicted to the sailing thing. We chartered a sailboat for the day, sailed to the Baths and it was awesome.

Guantanamo bay is nice this time of year. Well except for the minefield, the armed marines, the Al Qaeda prisoners, and the cubans a couple of miles away. :)

I traveled all over the Carribean, and it has some nice spots and some not so nice spots. Saint Johns in the US Virgin Islands is the best, and not to heavily populated with tourist. But its the most expensive place to visit as well. St Thomas is ok, but when I was there, there were some areas to stay out of after dark. Overall, I had a lot of fun there. I remember sitting on a balcony at Arbee's of all places, drinking a Long Island Iced Tea at 10 in the morning. Saint Maarten was more of a party spot. If you go to Saint Thomas, there is a pretty nice hotel we stayed at called Frenchman's Reef. Somewhat secluded, and topless beaches.

My cruiseline sucked though. They kept making me paint things. :)

Btw, Hawaii is better than the any place I visited in the Carribean.

.. island vacation with a pregnant woman sucks....

for the woman.

We had already booked our Mexico trip this past summer when we found out my wife was pregnant...it was hot as hell and my poor wife couldnt drink beers.

Funny thing is we had actually considered an Oktoberfest trip to Munich.

Im more of a Mexico, non-mega-resort fan, than the Islands. That being said, ive been to Peter Island, B.V.I.. Ive been to The Bahamas too, which im guessing you dont consider the Carib.

Peter Island was very nice. That being said, if i went back id probably go to a different resort. Maybe Little Dix Bay, or that nice place on St.John...cant think of the name.

I think both of those are laid back and not surrounded by tons of huge resorts, like i think St.Thomas is..at least in my mind.

Peter Island is cool because the resort has the whole private island. Lots of stars/rich people will dock there for the day. Not crowded, decent service for the Carib. (I find Mexican service 10x better in my limited experience)

Makes you see how people like Skew can get so addicted to the sailing thing. We chartered a sailboat for the day, sailed to the Baths and it was awesome.

Yep Yep

The bitter end resort seemed cool too. Service is definitely mediocre or above average at best

I would recommend to anyone sailing around the BVis. Apparently one of the best casual sailing spots on earth...

My absolute favorite place is St. Maarten/Martin. Fabulous. I've been twice - once alone and once with a friend. I was just there for my birthday and New Years. Stay on the Dutch side but visit the LoLos in Grand Case (French Side). I stay in Maho Bay because it is literally walking distance to the airport. Direct flight from Charlotte. Friendliest people in all of the islands - you can literally get in the car and go cross-island with a stranger and be totally safe. Crime is non-existent because of a low unemployment rate.

Amazing place. I can't wait to return.

Also, I have a great connection for a 2 bedroom/2.5 bath condo that is brand new and beautiful.

Archived