• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Freaky Lunch

LifeisaGarden

A friend invited me to lunch today and as we were eating a man a couple of tables over had a heart attack. He was eating with his wife and she called 911.

I called 911 as soon as I saw what was happening but was informed they were already on their way. His wife apparently knew the symptoms and went ahead and called as soon as she figured out what was happening.

The strange thing was no one did anything about it or tried to help, the servers continued to work while the man was having his heart attack. They didn't even seem to be concerned about it.

Ambulance came less than a minute after I hung up the phone. I hope the guy is going to be ok.

What should they have done? Stood and watched?

They aren't trained to do anything and thus they did what they normally do. Not that unusual really.

Of course I would've been freaking out (inside) were that to happen while i was somewhere eating lunch. I hate sudden reminders of mortality.

The freakiest lunch I ever had was at a sidewalk cafe. I was by myself reading the paper eating and a car slammed into a pedestrian. Everyone looked at first, but after we saw people were already doing what the could, we had to eat our lunch to the pedestrian crying and whimpering while the pregnant woman that hit him went into hysterics as everyone waited for the paramedics.

It'd be even odder with a man who might be dying.

They had one of those heart attack thingamabobs hanging on the wall. It's my understanding that if they have one of those things they should be trained to use it. Of course that doesn't mean they are. I guess you are right, they just did what they would normally do. :/

Actually they might not be trained to use them. Most places they have them there in case their is a medical person in the restaurant that is qualified to use them.

If its possible and you see someone having a heart attack and you have an asprin. GIVE IT TO THEM.

That could be enough to hold them over to the Meds get their.

Would you be protected under law if you inadvertently caused the persons death in this situation?

Couldn't that be said about you while you were sipping on your Bailey's and coffee and did nothing?

No, inaction isn't causing what would be killing them.

I was just curious if you knew about "Good Samaritan" laws and if they would keep you from being held liable if something terribly unfortunate were to happen.

That's what I thought. So giving them the aspirin and it causing them to die could make you liable. That's a shame.

Yep, Giving aspirin is good for a heart attack but it because it thins the blood. Problem is if it isnt a heart attack and they are internally bleeding it will make them bleed faster. Not a expert but we but we do have some doctors on here that can verify this.

Archived