• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lions to show interest in DeAngelo Williams?

Fiz

We've got arguably the single best one-two punch at RB in the league, and a very effective weapon in that. And yet a significant portion of the fanbase (if you consider this board representative) really seems to want to cut the power of that weapon in half.

And please don't give me that we have enough depth to keep it going even with the loss of one of the top guys. There is no way anyone can reasonably suggest that any of the other combos (Williams-Goodson, Williams-Sutton, Stewart-Goodson, Stewart-Sutton) is anywhere even close to the quality of Williams-Stewart as a rushing tandem.

There are other teams that have put all their eggs in a single basket with "workhorse" backs, and it's been rough. These days, even when healthy, neither Adrian Peterson nor LaDainian Tomlinson is what they once were, and the decline has been quick (almost sudden). One of the prime reasons for that is their being used as the "workhorse" for their team rather than as part of a 'two-headed monster' like the Panthers and some other teams prefer.

Knowing that it tends to shorten the shelf-life of good runners, I can't understand why on earth people want us to switch to that model.

As far as using a high pick on a RB, no matter how high you go you're still trading a proven commodity for an unproven one.

Hear Hear!!!! A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

Again if we pay him what the going rate is for a top 5 back it will be around 8 million per year. Alexander got an 8 year deal for 62 million which averaged less than 8 million a year. He also didn't get half of that. His guaranteed money was only 12 million.

That contract is no better than what we would give Williams. Honestly we could easily make a contract for much longer and a much higher salary like an 8 year deal for 65 million so it appears on paper he is the highest paid running back. But with most of it being back loaded and not guaranteed, he would never see half of it and it would average around 8 million a year. Just like Haynesworth, Alexander got a highly inflated contract with little of it guaranteed. It will be the same with Williams. Looks great but in the end it is designed to pay him for 3 or 4 years and isn't expected to still apply when he is 35 years old and long gone from the league. Alexander signed the deal in 2005 and last played for Seattle in 2007. He played one year for Washington and was out of the league in 2009. Most of his contract was funny money.

Alexander's contract was frontloaded to hell and back because he agreed to a relatively small signing bonus since the Seahawks basically didn't plan on him being around for more than a couple of years and didn't want to be fuged cap-wise with a huge penalty for Alexander's remaining signing bonus. Williams' contract most likely would be as well unless we give him a huge signing bonus which makes the whole cutting him in a few years thing not really work out so well.

Want to pay him 15 million in 2011? Because that's what Alexander made in 2006.

But DeAngelo is still healthy. As long they both share taking turns, I think the will last longer in the NFL than most RB that is a full-time starter. And DeAngelo will never be second fiddle to Stewart. And Stewart won't be a second fiddle to him either. They both share playing on the field, so I see neither of 'em as backups. Sutton & Goodson are the backups on the other hands.

Goodson? I think we're better off with Stewart & DeAngelo.

How you know he won't sign for a cheap contract? Do you know him or did he told you that? But it doesn't have to be extremely cheap to keep him. It can be millions of dollar, but not a lot like most big names get.

You're right, I don't know him. But I'm pretty sure he wants to get his payday like any elite player coming off of their rookie contract. There is literally no way in hell that Williams signs here well below his market value. And if there's any chance of the fantasy world where we can afford to keep both Williams and Stewart happening, he'd have to. We're going to have to lose one of them. That's what happens when you invest two first-round picks in all-star running backs. The Giants couldn't even keep Ward and he's not nearly as good as Stewart or Williams are. Why do you think we're somehow different?

I disagree.

DWill has low mileage on his wheels. He sat behin Foster and then shared sig carries with Stewart. He has alot left in the tank.

This line of reasoning is fallacious simply because Williams was worked like a rented mule at Memphis. At best his sitting behind Foster only cancels out the ridiculous number of touches he got in college. Want an example of a back who REALLY doesn't have much mileage? Stewart. He only started one year in college, was only in college for three years, and his first two seasons in the NFL his carries have largely been limited.

This line of reasoning is fallacious simply because Williams was worked like a rented mule at Memphis. At best his sitting behind Foster only cancels out the ridiculous number of touches he got in college. Want an example of a back who REALLY doesn't have much mileage? Stewart. He only started one year in college, was only in college for three years, and his first two seasons in the NFL his carries have largely been limited.

Good point. DeAngelo came into the league w/ much more mileage than your average RB.

Also, I think people might be a tad confused....just b/c Williams/Stewart enjoy playing w/ each other and being Double Trouble.....it is naive to think at some point they don't want to legitmately be "the guy" somewhere both for financial reasons and to achieve there own goals.

No dude, our players LOVE playing for the Panthers. They would never go somewhere else for a shitload of money, because the NFL isn't a business, it's a FAMILY. A mafia family, to be exact. And no one betrays Don Fox and lives to tell about it. Hell, if it weren't for that asshole Hurney making them all sign big, expensive contracts, our players would all play for free!

Oh man oh man. I don't even know what I would need to be offered to want to trade D-Will away.

My brain says I would be tempted with the Lions 1st and 2nd round picks.

My heart says I would never trade him!

He's been too good for us, and seems to me like he wants to stay in Carolina for awhile. You don't trade away a top 10 player if he wants to play for you.

I actually think it will be Jstew who is eventually traded away. Right now he also seems like he really wants to stay here though. Keeping both of them should be the Panthers' #1 priority anyways.

#2 pick that nets either suh or mccoy, 2 monster dts that require a double team. hmmm, team either 1 with peppers and brown, this line would be able to get pressure all game long.

i love having 2 good backs, but when you have the oportunity to greatly improve the the team as a whole you got to look at it. yes it would hurt depth and even the starting rb position, but would be a massive upgrade at DT if we pick #2. stewie is not that big a drop off from williams but suh/mccoy/megatron >>>>>>>> any guy they would replace on the current roster.

as others said what about megatron for dwill straight up. thats great too, we would instantly have a top 5 wr, and then the best slot/#2 in smitty ala welker. with a compotent qb in moore, the passing game would be much much better than we have seen with fox and co. we would have 2 real game breakers at WR and still have one in the backfield.

as for the #34 pick, well, the lions are still insane if they think we would part with dwill for that. that would be a money/cap move only.

Archived