• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lions to show interest in DeAngelo Williams?

Fiz

The problem is Williams will be 28 then. And if he isn't already playing second fiddle to Stewart at this point, he will be by then.

But DeAngelo is still healthy. As long they both share taking turns, I think the will last longer in the NFL than most RB that is a full-time starter. And DeAngelo will never be second fiddle to Stewart. And Stewart won't be a second fiddle to him either. They both share playing on the field, so I see neither of 'em as backups. Sutton & Goodson are the backups on the other hands.

We'd be better off rolling with Stewart and Goodson.

Goodson? I think we're better off with Stewart & DeAngelo.

And anyone who thinks Williams is going to sign a relatively cheap contract because he just gosh golly goodness loves the Panthers so much is being naive.

How you know he won't sign for a cheap contract? Do you know him or did he told you that? But it doesn't have to be extremely cheap to keep him. It can be millions of dollar, but not a lot like most big names get.

This just in: KC is also interested in trading for DeAngelo as well as Washington, Oakland, Jacksonville, Seattle, Buffalo, San Diego, Cleveland and New England.

On a side note, the Panthers are interested in trading for either Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

(see, I can do it to - I should be a sports writer)

sad to say but fiz has a point. i think people need to start to realize that we probably wont lock him up when his contract expires...

I disagree.

DWill has low mileage on his wheels. He sat behin Foster and then shared sig carries with Stewart. He has alot left in the tank.

It sure look stupid on paper...

BUT

If you would like to be a contender year in and year out the key thing is to know when to get rid of your players.

D-Will is only locked up in 2010 and by then would be 28. Will you pay him like a top 3 RB when he only have a couple of good years left and we have a Stewart in the waiting? If you pay D-Will you most likely wont be signing Stewart when his contract is up. You simply cannot have two RB paid like top 5 RB on one team.

To think he will give you a discount is just plain stupid. This is his shot at a monster contract. It wont come again. Just as stupid is to think he would accept a 3 year deal or so. At that time he is 31 and could be done. He is looking for a contract better the one Jackson got a couple of years ago ( 6 year 45 mil $20.5 million guaranteed ).

Sad to say but I think the Stewart D-Will combo only has one year left. You simply do not pay that much money to the RB position which is the position with the lowest average length of career.

I love D-Will just as much as you guys but I really think he is gone after this year anyway and therefore I think this trade is something you have to look in. And then turn down:) Because even though I think a trade could be a good thing I think if we out him in the block someone would be willing to give of more. You dont take the first offer you get but the best :)

I would have to argue that Williams has skills that neither Stewart nor Goodson nor any other back on the team possess.

We need what he's got if we're going to seriously make a run into the playoffs. Anyone who thinks we don't is being naive.

That said, we need a talented #2 receiver just as badly.

It sure look stupid on paper...

BUT

If you would like to be a contender year in and year out the key thing is to know when to get rid of your players.

D-Will is only locked up in 2010 and by then would be 28. Will you pay him like a top 3 RB when he only have a couple of good years left and we have a Stewart in the waiting? If you pay D-Will you most likely wont be signing Stewart when his contract is up. You simply cannot have two RB paid like top 5 RB on one team.

To think he will give you a discount is just plain stupid. This is his shot at a monster contract. It wont come again. Just as stupid is to think he would accept a 3 year deal or so. At that time he is 31 and could be done. He is looking for a contract better the one Jackson got a couple of years ago ( 6 year 45 mil $20.5 million guaranteed ).

Sad to say but I think the Stewart D-Will combo only has one year left. You simply do not pay that much money to the RB position which is the position with the lowest average length of career.

I love D-Will just as much as you guys but I really think he is gone after this year anyway and therefore I think this trade is something you have to look in. And then turn down:) Because even though I think a trade could be a good thing I think if we out him in the block someone would be willing to give of more. You dont take the first offer you get but the best :)

What all of you talking about a long contract fail to realize is you can make the numbers be anything you want but all that counts is what is guaranteed which is the signing bonus. Jackson signed a 6 year 45 million dollar contract which averages less than 8 million a year. If a lot of that is backloaded, he won't see any of it. What he gets is the 20.5 guaranteed which is usually associated with very low salaries during those first few years. Part of that 45 million could be an option bonus of 10 million in year 4 which he will never see much like the 9.3 million that Kemo is scheduled to get this spring but won't see. That contract sounds great but the only good part of it is the 20 million guaranteed. The last 20 million is not likely to be earned before Jackson retires.

For that matter lets give Williams a 10 year contract for 80 million. If we guarantee 20 million and have salaries of 1 million a year for the first 3 years and roster bonuses so that the cap hit is biggest this year and tails off after 3 or 4 years, he will have gotten 23 million for 3 years and we will cut him after that. He gets less than the 24 million I proposed and the other 57 million is total window dressing. Unlike the NBA, NFL contracts are not guaranteed so for running backs they aren't worth more than the first 3 or 4 years and guaranteed money.

Plus you have Stewart locked up for 3 more years. You don't have to make that decision until way down the road. There is no reason we can't have both of them here for at least 3 years. The negative is that since Richardson seems to be a big player in the fiscal police and 2011 maybe a lockout, he is likely to do nothing with Williams contract and wait until he knows how the CBA is going before signing him or letting him go.

Archived