• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article from ESPN's Clayton

blackcat

I still don't understand how anyone can seriously stand by this statement...

The draft is a crapshoot... We have like 7 picks in rounds 2-7... We will not find a Julilus Peppers, even at age 30, in there anywhere...

Not looking for a JP..Just a guy we can develop..a LE type..Austen lane..could be there in the 3rd

I would not mind getting a vet.

It boils down to, would you keep Peppers for maybe 1 more year for 20 mill or long term him for what he is asking for (15 mill a year), for 10-15 sacks a year and questionable leadership? Or improve the over all team by locking up the young players like Thomas Davis, Deangelo/Stew, Beason, etc. Plus contracts for OLine will be coming up soon, players like Wharton and Kalil will need to be locked up long term too.

I love Pep and it pains me to even think of him being on another team. However uncapped or not it sets a bad precedent to pay him that much money. I rather give Beason that money tbh. What if Beason says if Pep is making 15 mill a year I should at least make that much too. Who could argue? What if Matt Moore becomes the second coming of Tom Brady (before Giselle). The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to let him walk. If someone pays him 100 mill and he has a season like last year, so what?

First of all Pep doesn't say very much anyway and when he does it is kindof contradictory. But you are right where there is no where in print that says he want's to be the highest paid Defensive player. However when you read the quote like:

"That deal was to make me the highest-paid defensive player, but slightly, very slightly," Peppers said. "I didn't really feel the sincerity behind that deal."

That would have equated to around 15 mill or so per year. But it is alot of assumptions in place and we know about assumptions :)

He has also said he doesn't want to play here. He has 3 or 4 teams that he wants to play for. He wants to play in a 34 defense. He didn't think he deserved a max contract at the time they offered it, He just wants a contract. He doesn't care where he plays. I mean who the hell knows? I think if his contract demands were "reasonable", the front office would have contacted him by now. But if his agent starts off at 15 mill, they probably figured no need to even waste their time. Thats my opinion of course.

I have an authentic Peppers Jersey that I won't be able to where anymore. I hope they work out where he can stay. But not if it handicaps the team or causes us to lose other players like the ones I mentioned earlier. At least they seem to want to be here.

The best option IMO would be to franchise tag him and try to trade him. Although I thought that was the best option last season too. I'm know him not signing the tender really hurt us in being able to move him. That shouldn't be a problem this year.

However, how many teams are really out there that are going to be willing to give up what the Panthers front office would consider fair value and still sign him to the massive contract I'm sure he's looking for?

It's a bad situation, but just letting him walk for nothing would prove to be a huge blunder. Especially if he goes to a division rival like the Falcons that we keep hearing brought up.

With the way Charles Johnson has been playing and add in Brown on passing downs. I could see Richard Seymour as a rotational guy and a DT on passing downs. That is if he comes at the right price. We prob want do that though cause that just makes too much since.

Just saw this, suggesting we let 90 walk and go after Vaden Bosch.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?w=198iw&storyId=4907880&i=TOP

I say let 90 "walk" than go after 90.

I'm not sure why everyone is so convienced that if Peppers hits the free market that he won't be back in Charlotte. IMO, and I have no proof of this, is that there is a offer on the table for Peppers but he wants more. But once he hits FA he will find out pretty quickly that the offer in Carolina is better than anything out there he is going to get.

I say let 90 "walk" than go after 90.

I'm not sure why everyone is so convienced that if Peppers hits the free market that he won't be back in Charlotte. IMO, and I have no proof of this, is that there is a offer on the table for Peppers but he wants more. But once he hits FA he will find out pretty quickly that the offer in Carolina is better than anything out there he is going to get.

I was thinking along those lines myself personally. That's why I wouldn't offer him anything. If you start of negotiating with him early, the starting point is going to be the last contract you offered. Let him go out and see the realities that no one is going to play a DE who numbers universally(with some exceptions of course) drop significantly after age 32. Considering there might be a work stoppage next year, then it makes sense to let him walk. Let reality smack him in the face then make a fair market offer with a small bump because he won't have much of a turn around.

Archived