• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bad news for an old friend

Mr. Scot

16 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

2 time coach of the year.  

He had 2 MVP's and Hall of Famers on each side of the ball and couldn't get it done...I liked him, especially after that locker room swear out, but he under achieved with the talent we had....The players gave him the distinction of COY....He never seemed proactive creative...but a solid coach... 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

We could always pull a JR & Jordan-- get both Rivera and Hurney back. Snuggle in with that mediocrity we all know and love.  

We'll need a time machine to bring back prime Cam and Luke if we want to achieve mediocrity again with those two. Without them it'd look like Tepper era Panthers per usual.

1 minute ago, Johnstonny said:

He had 2 MVP's and Hall of Famers on each side of the ball and couldn't get it done...I liked him, especially after that locker room swear out, but he under achieved with the talent we had....The players gave him the distinction of COY....He never seemed proactive creative...but a solid coach... 

This. Rivera seems like a legitimately good guy but I don't think he gave this team any lift beyond what a generic middle of the road NFL coach would provide.

• Pie 3

Just now, TN05 said:

I wouldn’t call four playoff seasons in five years mediocre, personally

I'd call zero back to back winning seasons pretty mediocre. It always embarrasses me that this fanbase thumps their chest about going to the playoffs with a losing record. We were a bad team, the rest of the division was just worse.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. Rivera seems like a legitimately good guy but I don't think he gave this team any lift beyond what a generic middle of the road NFL coach would provide.

I don't know wizardry it was, but Rivera and Gettleman worked really well together. Neither of them found success apart.

Richardson fired Gettleman after what was probably his best draft. I'll always wonder what could have been if he hadn't been so dead set on bringing Marty back.

Hate to hear it for him but he inherited a bad team with a bad owner. Just did the best he could with it. Maybe the next coach can make something of it, maybe not... there's a lot of bad karma in that franchise that is still yet to be paid.

I'm betting Rivera will take a year off and then be back with the HC job in Chicago.

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Hate to hear it for him but he inherited a bad team with a bad owner. Just did the best he could with it. Maybe the next coach can make something of it, maybe not... there's a lot of bad karma in that franchise that is still yet to be paid.

I'm betting Rivera will take a year off and then be back with the HC job in Chicago.

I gotta feeling the Bears job belongs to Harbaugh.

If not him though, someone else likely takes it this year.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't know wizardry it was, but Rivera and Gettleman worked really well together. Neither of them found success apart.

Richardson fired Gettleman after what was probably his best draft. I'll always wonder what could have been if he hadn't been so dead set on bringing Marty back.

Gettleman went into a season with Byron Bell and Nate Chandler as his starting OTs. Not because of injury or some other extenuating circumstances but because he thought that was a great plan. He yanked the tag on our best DB and then spammed picks at CB in order to field a secondary because he got butt hurt and just had to win a dick measuring contest. I was shocked by the firing at the time and bringing back Hurney on any capacity was Tepper level idiocy and mismanagement, but in hindsight Dave Gettleman 100% deserved to be fired.