• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mass Effect/Dragon Age novels.

SmootsDaddy89

yeah i've read both of the ME novels. the first one is about Anderson. it basically tells the story that he told in ME1, about how he was in line to be a spectre but Saren fuged him over. i found it kind of boring, just because i don't care about Anderson. if you like the character you should read it.

second one i found much better. it has the Illusive Man and an autistic biotic girl.

you can read the second without reading the first if you want; it's not a sequel.

This series:

This is the first fantasy world that BioWare's created from scratch, and at times, the cited influence of George R.R. Martin's fantastic "A Song of Ice and Fire" series is a bit too obvious. The Grey Wardens and their sworn enemy, the Darkspawn, feel a bit too similar to Martin's Night's Watch guarding the realm of Westeros from the supernatural Others. Political machinations plunge Ferelden into a civil war -- just like in "A Song of Ice and Fire."

I thought the Turians started that poo.

yeah, pretty much. the humans illegally activated a mass relay that was shut down because of the rachni. they didn't know anything about it because they hadn't seen aliens yet.

instead of saying "who r u & wtf are u doing?" the turians just attacked.

I started "The Stolen Throne"

Kinda interesting to read about how Maric and Loghain first meet up and the building of the rebel army.

Seems to be some interesting foreshadowing for the expansion. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it. But it definitely seems like one of the villains in the original trailer makes an appearance in this book as well.

yeah, pretty much. the humans illegally activated a mass relay that was shut down because of the rachni. they didn't know anything about it because they hadn't seen aliens yet.

instead of saying "who r u & wtf are u doing?" the turians just attacked.

lies and slander spread by the human controlled council.

Finished reading.

It's not bad. Definitely would be something you'd want to read in conjunction with playing the game though. I think that's why it has a high rating on Amazon.

Gaider's definitely better when he's working with a team and writing lines of plain dialogue and letting the trained voice actors put their emotions into the lines rather than trying to describe acute expressions of emotion and feeling. He goes adverb crazy. Like so:

“Maric dug into his stew ravenously. Katriel picked at hers gingerly, sipping on some of the broth. The dwarf all but gulped his down greedily, finishing it long before the others were even half done, and then belching loudly. He wiped his beard with the back of his hand."

He's also really, really, really cliche. Maric gets run through about half a dozen times and has to be miraculously saved with magic and potions. And then there's another half a dozen gratuitous nick-of-time rescues as their journey progresses by various parties.

3/5 overall. Starting on "The Calling" now.

Archived