• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Hurt Locker

Matt Foley

So this movie is at the cheap theater here in town and I thought I'd go see it. I read some reviews on imdb.com, and it seems the reviews break sharply into two camps....those who haven't been to Iraq who think the movie is awesome, and those who have who think the movie is absolute crap. Now I think I'll just skip it.

Well if you don't know military protocol, ignorance is bliss. It's supposedly very intense. But all of the vets said it's a piece of crap with no basis in truth whatsoever.

I had heard that people who served on submarines said The Hunt for Red October was crap, which sucks because I loved it.

Well if you don't know military protocol, ignorance is bliss. It's supposedly very intense. But all of the vets said it's a piece of crap with no basis in truth whatsoever.

I had heard that people who served on submarines said The Hunt for Red October was crap, which sucks because I loved it.

As most war movies are. Saving Private Ryan was fairly close. I've heard from other vets that Band of Brothers was close. I never saw it. Unless you've been there you never realize the difference. You will never feel the intensity or smell the smells of combat on tv or movie. Cinematographers and special effects people do the best they can.

I made the mistake of going to see Star Trek IV with a Navy nuke engineer. He laughed during the scenes on the USS Enterprise. Kind of ruined the rest of the movie.

I would not have any problem with a movie like "Hurt Locker" proclaiming itself an action movie that involved the military. Action movies are not really supposed to be based in reality, that is what makes them fun to watch.

I do have an issue with movies like "Hurt Locker" that proclaim they are based on "the realities of war and military life in war" and then completely ignore any military protocol or any sense of reality.

Most movies are inaccurate. Look at Braveheart. After reading up on William Wallace, I think maybe 2% of that movie is historically accurate.

But most scripts that are written about war are written by people who have never served. So you have to take that into consideration

I would not have any problem with a movie like "Hurt Locker" proclaiming itself an action movie that involved the military. Action movies are not really supposed to be based in reality, that is what makes them fun to watch.

I do have an issue with movies like "Hurt Locker" that proclaim they are based on "the realities of war and military life in war" and then completely ignore any military protocol or any sense of reality.

Just wondering, what scenes went against military protocol?

Archived