• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Got an interview on Thurs!

Miaoww

I interview a ton, so I'll tell you some things I watch out for and that I do.

- I hate canned answers, so I'll throw in curve balls to watch how the candidate thinks on his/her feet. I'm hiring you to be able to do a job, not run for Miss America.

- I hate short answers. Be prepared to elaborate on any part of your resume or education. I'll decide on if it's important or not.

- I don't care what anyone tells you, you can never overdress for an interview. Well, white tie might be a little over the top, but you get what I mean. Wear a tie and a sports coat at least. Wear a suit if you have one.

- I hate carrying the interview. Please bring questions. And as you can prepare questions to better present your intelligence, it's a great way to show off. Do your research and bring good questions. This will put you over the top generally.

- I honestly could give a damn about the content of your answer personally. I ask questions and read things like body language, tone of voice and other clues that tell me who you are. If you have a few of the traits I'm looking for, I can teach you the rest.

Granted, sales is much more about personality than many other jobs. Regardless, in any entry level position who you are is more important than what you did.

- Do show up early, but wait in the parking lot till about 5 - 10 minutes before hand. We have a smallish office packed with 50 people, I'm usually busy, and the last thing I want to do is figure out where to stash you for 20 minutes.

If you show up 5 minutes late, you will get about 2 minutes to absolutely blow me away. Anything more than 5 minutes and I'll tell you the best way to get back to the freeway.

- Avoid any negative conversation. I'm not dumb. I know you're not looking for another job because you're in love with your current boss and your work fulfills you.

A brief mention of an untenable situation is fine if needed, but unless I ask you specific questions, don't elaborate.

- On a date, let the girl bring up sex. In an interview, let the interviewer bring up compensation. I wish I didn't have to point this out.

- Do not drink for 24 hours before the interview. If you smoke, same rule applies. Shower (please!) but don't put on cologne. You'd be shocked how much smell (subconsciously) has an effect on people's first impression of you.

- Laugh politely at any joke, no matter how bad, use the manners your mama taught you and act as if you are being watched at any given time you are on company property.

- Relax and be confident. Act like you belong there, and people will tend to believe you.

Good luck.

That is gold and yes, a ton blow it right there. You mention it first and you put a # in their head(maybe more for internal interviews).

great stuff

Interviews, and first impressions in general, are really only like 15% what you say and 85% how you say it.

Body language and posture are everything. Practice answering the questions you might be asked. Make eye contact, be confident. The simple things.

A winning personality beats out a better resume 90% of the time.

And I can tell you from experience that the most qualified person for a job is rarely the one who gets it. When I was talking to a bunch of people from ESPN, when I was thinking of applying there, they all had the same story: "I knew a guy who knew a guy who got me an interview." None came from respected schools of journalism or had great experience. They had an in.

I know for a fact that I wasn't the best candidiate for my job based on my resume and professional experience. I have a good resume, but I have a better personality, and oodles of connections that I am not afraid to leverage. Business isn't fair, especially in times of recession and high unemployment like this. Play dirty if that's what you have to do to get a paycheck. And once you get in, be the best. Don't dissappoint your boss or make him/her regret hiring you. Constantly exceed his/her expectations.

All really great advice.

FWIW, make sure to do your homework on the company/teams history. I don't know how you can do this but having familiarity with what direction they are going or are plannig to go in really shows you have an interest in them.

That or just slam some heroin and tequilla beforehand to help calm down any nerves...

You simply MUST ask questions at the end. Majority of the times when interviewers ask candidates if they have anything to ask, the candidates say nothing. This is a biiiiig mistake.

The questions arent actually there for you to find out more about the company, it's to show you understand the scale of the company by asking intelligent questions. It also shows you arent some peon who has recited interview answers. Oh and this is not the time to discuss salary, benefits or travel expenses.

One tip I was given was to take your research in, but have it facing the interviews as they WILL look at it. Have around 10-12 set questions for them before hand in that so they can see the things you are wanting to ask.

Oh an finally. Say what they want to hear, not what you think they should know about you. If they ask about weaknesses, choose a weakness that has no baring on going for the job. If they ask an animal, choose one which relates, lion = manager/leader meerkcat = teamplayer. If they ask if you feel you need training, say that you personally feel you are trained enough, but will not turn down any additional training they might feel useful.

Archived