• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Got an interview on Thurs!

Miaoww

Don't know what type of position, but I bet you can google some interview questions and practice. Be prepared to talk about your strengths (hopefully easy) and areas where you can improve (and sound sincere but not incompetent). Be prepared to answer scenario questions...how you would handle......

They cannot ask personal questions but if given the chance to talk about yourself free flow have planned what you will say. Tell them enough to let them know you are responsible, stable, healthy, and can be focused on work. Do not reveal anything that does not show you as the well balanced perfect potential employee. (I have had so many people blow it when I asked them to tell me a little about themselves.) Do background on the company. Know something about them so that they know that you want a job with them, not just a job. Ask them some good questions.

Good luck!!! Let us know how it goes.

Confidence goes a long way but don't over do it. Be professional, courteous, and bring your A game. Be prepared to answer questions about yourself and how you handle different situations and be able to come up with situations where you've shown how you shine. One of the hardest parts is actually getting the interview, but what clinches the job is your ability to communicate your strengths, your assets, and how you are the better candidate for the job. You need to communicate your desire to get the job in a positive way but don't be desparate. Be aware of your interviewers are, take good notes, and listen. You will get a lot of useful information by simple listening. Ask questions and if you're not sure of what they are asking for, ask them to clarify. Stumbling through answers when you are not sure of the question or don't have the background or education isn't a positive in an interview. Don't over-exaggerate your experience or knowledge because a knowledgeable interviewer will be able to assess what you really know. Express your willingness to learn especially areas that are not your strengths, you're a team player, and will go the extra mile to learn the things you don't know or are not well experienced in.

There are some great books out there like, "What color is your parachute?" or something like that. Take advantage of career counseling at your college. Dress appropriately for the job and get plenty of sleep. Don't overdo it on caffeine. Stay composed and be positive.

Good luck!

Some basics. Sit only after they tell you to sit. Eye contact when talking to them. Don't ramble and keep your respones brief and too the point.

Talk alot about what you are willing to do and learn. Key words are collaborate, work across various business channels.

But as some have said, be confident but not cocky. But also show you are willing to start wherever and work your way up and just get your foot in the door.

Finally. Get a great nights rest and be EARLY. Not on time but early. That way you are settled, relaxed and ready to rock and roll when the interview starts.

Do some research about the place you are going to interview at. Know a little about what they do; maybe you can inject some of that knowledge during your interview.

One thing I learned after interviewing for the social security commission was to tell them what they want to hear, not your opinion.

Good luck! Make sure you tell us how it went!

Some basics. Sit only after they tell you to sit. Eye contact when talking to them. Don't ramble and keep your respones brief and too the point.

Talk alot about what you are willing to do and learn. Key words are collaborate, work across various business channels.

But as some have said, be confident but not cocky. But also show you are willing to start wherever and work your way up and just get your foot in the door.

Finally. Get a great nights rest and be EARLY. Not on time but early. That way you are settled, relaxed and ready to rock and roll when the interview starts.

I'd stress not to be too early though. Interviewers don't like it when an interviewee shows up 20 minutes early. 10 minutes early is plenty.

I interview a ton, so I'll tell you some things I watch out for and that I do.

- I hate canned answers, so I'll throw in curve balls to watch how the candidate thinks on his/her feet. I'm hiring you to be able to do a job, not run for Miss America.

- I hate short answers. Be prepared to elaborate on any part of your resume or education. I'll decide on if it's important or not.

- I don't care what anyone tells you, you can never overdress for an interview. Well, white tie might be a little over the top, but you get what I mean. Wear a tie and a sports coat at least. Wear a suit if you have one.

- I hate carrying the interview. Please bring questions. And as you can prepare questions to better present your intelligence, it's a great way to show off. Do your research and bring good questions. This will put you over the top generally.

- I honestly could give a damn about the content of your answer personally. I ask questions and read things like body language, tone of voice and other clues that tell me who you are. If you have a few of the traits I'm looking for, I can teach you the rest.

Granted, sales is much more about personality than many other jobs. Regardless, in any entry level position who you are is more important than what you did.

- Do show up early, but wait in the parking lot till about 5 - 10 minutes before hand. We have a smallish office packed with 50 people, I'm usually busy, and the last thing I want to do is figure out where to stash you for 20 minutes.

If you show up 5 minutes late, you will get about 2 minutes to absolutely blow me away. Anything more than 5 minutes and I'll tell you the best way to get back to the freeway.

- Avoid any negative conversation. I'm not dumb. I know you're not looking for another job because you're in love with your current boss and your work fulfills you.

A brief mention of an untenable situation is fine if needed, but unless I ask you specific questions, don't elaborate.

- On a date, let the girl bring up sex. In an interview, let the interviewer bring up compensation. I wish I didn't have to point this out.

- Do not drink for 24 hours before the interview. If you smoke, same rule applies. Shower (please!) but don't put on cologne. You'd be shocked how much smell (subconsciously) has an effect on people's first impression of you.

- Laugh politely at any joke, no matter how bad, use the manners your mama taught you and act as if you are being watched at any given time you are on company property.

- Relax and be confident. Act like you belong there, and people will tend to believe you.

Good luck.

Archived