• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calling all Huddle Doctors

neverlosethefeeling

I know there are a few of you on here.

Basically, it's been my dream to go to med school for years and years. I've not gotten any shadowing or other clinical experience, which anyone whose gone through the process knows how important that experience is.

Are any of you within 30 minutes or so of Charlotte that would be willing to let me shadow you?

I know volunteer experience is critical, too. Somewhere along the order of 200-400 hours. I've had friends who have volunteered at CMC and said all they did was work in the hospital's gift shop.

Well, free clinics don't have gift shops. Might get a little closer to the action....might get to know a couple of docs. Just a thought.

I can't imagine that a local overworked internist wouldn't have room for free labor at his/her clinic.

Tell him/her you'll file, make coffee, make phone calls, work the computer, etc. for nothing in order to learn the inside stuff, and I can't imagine you'd be turned down.

I doubt you'll find volunteer stuff worth a crap in a high speed ER/hospital situation, so take what you can get, since honestly, you'll be spending 99.9% of the time on the mundane anyway. Lurkers are mostly in the way when it comes to the "glamour" stuff anyway.

Glamour. Ha. it is to laugh.

Edit: scrummers beat me to it.

I have to agree with what's been said so far. Med schools not only look at medical volunteer work, but at non-medical volunteer work. I'd look into the Soup kitchen, free clinics for the unemployed, in addition to the local hospitals. I'm in St Louis currently and we have lots of pre-med students and high school students who volunteer in the ER and on the floors. There are lots of opportunities, just throw your name out there a lot and someone is sure to give you a chance.

Archived