• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Studying Abroad

neverlosethefeeling

I go to UNCC. I think a lot of the expectations depend on where you go. Obviously if you go to an english-speaking country then there shouldn't be too much of a learning curve, and even in non-english-speaking countries, they have classes offered in english. If you're not going to take classes in english, then, I believe, most schools require you to submit a TOEFL score so that they know you're proficient enough to succeed in classes taught in whatever language the country speaks.

Where have you thought about going?

Haha I go to UNCC as well. I was thinking about France and studying french. There is also a cool theatre opportunity to London. And a few others that aren't coming to my head right now.

how can you even think of NOT going? You will be more well rounded, have a greater perspective and Croatia alone may make you stay.

Do it and we want weekly updates with videos.

It can be quite expensive. I'm fortunate enough that my parents pay for everything, but with my sister and I both being in college and them footing the bill for all of it, I don't want them to pay for more than what they would be paying if I was staying at my university here. And I'm not quite sure how it works--like if I would pay that school's tuition, or my university's. I know that my school offers tuition, room, and board exchange programs, but not necessarily to any of the places I would want to go. Plus, I'm convinced now that one of the month-long summer programs or even spring break trips won't be enough and that I'll definitely want to stay for a full semester or a year.

Now I've just got to find scholarships or consider taking out a loan to pay for all of it. And with me staring med school or law school tuition in the face as well, what's an extra 10G's, haha.

I've wanted to study abroad, but instead I think I'm going to finish up my BA and go teach English abroad. Even though TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) doesn't require a degree, I want one.

That job really only pays well enough for you to live and travel in the country, but it's a great, cheap, and rewarding way to see the world and earn some cash. I know one girl who recently got back from Hong Kong after a year with an extra $12k in her bank account.

I'll probably do this for 2-3+ years depending on how I like it. For my first year though i need to be put somewhere in Europe. I'd like Prague, as they are a market that actually wants American accented teachers, the pay is good, the living is cheap, and the women are beautiful. Most European countries prefer British accented speakers.

And yes if I end up in Prague (I would be about 23 at the time) you can bet that I will be as sexually deviant as possible. Eastern European girls can just be too cute, I won't be able to resist. Which is bad. Elementary English school teacher by day, crazy American love machine by night. Ha!

I taught in both Japan and Spain. Asia, especially Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and the rest of the wealthy East Asian countries, are much more lucrative. Of course living in Barcelona rather than a small town outside of Hiroshima was tons more fun.

It's not that they don't want American accents in Western Europe, it's just infinitely easier paperwork wise to get a teacher from within the EU (i.e. the UK and Ireland). It can still be done as a "Yank," you just have to be willing to either pony up some cash and time to get the paperwork done or work in the shadows.

As far as studying abroad, it was amazing. I, by happy accident and against my original wishes, ended up on a direct exchange with the University of Gronigen in the north of the Netherlands. Since it was a college exchange, I didn't have to pay a cent more than I would have for C of C (and being on scholarship, I didn't really have to pay much at all). We were housed in student apartments and they even gave us about $400 walking around money every month. At the time, the Netherlands was one of the cheapest places to live in Western Europe plus just about everyone spoke English (to the detriment of my Dutch).

Classes were in English and, ho boy did I love this, almost never happened. Somehow I got 14 hours of credit for 2 one and a half hour courses on Thursday and one 2 hour course on Friday. They even gave us a 10 minute break every hour for coffee. European university is also a dream because you never had any work at all during the semester and attendance was suggested more than anything. Everything rode on the final exam. Obviously you had to know what was happening, but if were feeling your 5 day weekend a little too much, you could just get some notes off a good friend and stay home.

But you wanted to go. Classes were small,and professors would take you on field trips to 15th century churches and art museums filled with Dutch masters, usually followed by beers or wine at a local cafe. Our Art History professor was one of the coolest old guys I ever met: He was part of the 60's Avante Garde movement in Amsterdam (his children rebelled against him by becoming conservative Christians), and was droll and hilarious.

There were also frequent subsidized events by the University (drinking in various forms) and we even got to go on a week long, all inclusive ski trip to the French Alps for $200 (equipment, lift passes, food, chalet, everything).

The only downside is many of the credits don't transfer over specifically (all of mine counted as electives), so you need to be mindful that you end up costing yourself a fortune by extending your college career by a year or two inadvertently. Otherwise, do it and don't look back.

Yea I went to one back in November I believe. It's a just general bullpoo thing but they will answer any questions you have. I'm a sophomore.

I am too. And I figured it was going to be something like that...but that's the first thing you have to do apparently before you can do anything else. Even apply for the scholarships (which the deadline is Monday and my meeting is on Tuesday and I'd definitely qualify. Ghey.)

Have you done anything past going to the information session?

What's your major? That'd be strange if we knew each other.

I am too. And I figured it was going to be something like that...but that's the first thing you have to do apparently before you can do anything else. Even apply for the scholarships (which the deadline is Monday and my meeting is on Tuesday and I'd definitely qualify. Ghey.)

Have you done anything past going to the information session?

What's your major? That'd be strange if we knew each other.

Uhm I haven't really looked much more into it. Though I think if I go it will be some time over the summer. I'm not really interested in being gone for a whole semester.

Right now I'm an undeclared Polysci major, and Film minor though I'm still kind feeling my major out.

I did a 3 month exchange in Germany my Senior year (UNCC as well). It was more of an internship than anything. The classes we took were voluntary (GIS and planning classes). We worked for a surveying and mapping company in Bonn and got to see a lot of the countryside. We also had a lot of time to travel. Did a week in London during my time as well. It was a great experience and I would recommend it.

Studied in Spain and loved every single moment of it. Been to Italy, Germany, France, Switzerland, Belgium and Amsterdam. Go and see and do as much as you can. I hope to go back to Spain (will be my third trip) next year. Do the traveling now where you can get the student discounts on everything.

I've both studied, and lived/worked abroad. I highly recommend it. For studying abroad, to get the best cultural experience, I highly recommend home stay (especially if you're doing it for a foreign language.) If you live with other people who are studying abroad in a dorm or something, you'll spend more time with them and less time with the locals.

Spain is a great place to go. I've both lived there, and studied there. The people are great, food is awesome, and you can beat the day to day culture (naps, four meals a day).

If you have any more specific questions, PM or hit up my profile's wall.

• 1 month later...

Archived