• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young Cannot Make Basic NFL Throws

BIGH2001

6 hours ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Bryce Young's career stats excluding the Packers game:

16 starts, 305/521 (58.5%), 2,726 yards (5.2 YPA), 9 TDs, 12 INTs, 68.3 QB rating, 6 lost fumbles.

That Packers game, and really that 2nd half vs the Packers, was a total anomaly. The kid just doesn't have it.

Twice as many turnovers as TDs. 

On 12/14/2023 at 10:58 AM, frankw said:

It's funny that after all the hype and fluff and Steph Curry comparison revolving around him being a point guard suddenly now what we need is a mythical guru QB coach who can unlock Bryce Young.

Can anyone even name the QB coach for these undrafted rookie QB's that are winning despite their own inconvenient set of circumstances?

If only the "right" QB coach could have fixed Sam Darnold eh? 😏

It's interesting how QBs hold the blame when they fall off but their surrounding cast gets credit when things turn around. Like did anyone consider that Baker could be the reason Baker has improved?

6 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Jack Plummer will be pure unfiltered ass in a real game.  Bryce looked like he turned a corner against backups.  Plummer didn’t look decent until those backups left the game.

I understand the sentiment though.

Plummer was also playing with backups and guys no longer on the team. If some of our starters aren't quality players I'm not gonna hold too much against a guy playing with the guys who were worst than them while being a rookie. 

Edited by CPF4LIFE

23 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

It's interesting how QBs hold the blame when they fall off but their surrounding cast gets credit when things turn around. Like did anyone consider that Baker could be the reason Baker has improved?

Baker's biggest enemy from his past was himself. His ego was crushed here and he looks and plays more mature now. His supporting cast also meshes with his play style. Evens bails him out. It's a good setup for him. Both can be true.

47 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Baker was clearly humbled he was still a cocky idiot here (remember those t-shirts?) and the adversity he has faced in the NFL thus far has led him to this mature focused version of himself.

This seems to be the first time Bryce Young has faced adversity in his life. Certainly as an athlete. And he looks like he'd rather be doing anything else. Don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, Waldo said:

Baker's biggest enemy from his past was himself. His ego was crushed here and he looks and plays more mature now. His supporting cast also meshes with his play style. Evens bails him out. It's a good setup for him. Both can be true.

I was not a fan of bringing him in, but he has fought the good fight and pulled himself up. 

The reason for the reply is to note that Wilks was very complimentary of how Baker handled the 2022 season and I wasn't expecting to hear that so I retained memory of it. 

It has played out in a good way. For him. 

Edited by strato
  • Beer 2

41 minutes ago, strato said:

I was not a fan of bringing him in, but he has fought the good fight and pulled himself up. 

The reason for the reply is to note that Wilks was very complimentary of how Baker handled the 2022 season and I wasn't expecting to hear that so I retained memory of it. 

It has played out in a good way. For him. 

Yeah it was a marriage built to fail. Rhule year 3 and QB savior #3. I wanted the Baker that left here and not Cleveland, he still wasn't ready then. Add in the other 2 expensive moves they massively failed with there was just so much WTF about it all. 

I think Wilks was the first step in his rehabilitation. Sitting behind Darnold and OJ when he was the better QB on paper must have been the wakeup call and motivation to get his head out of his butt. 

• Pie 1

On 12/10/2023 at 4:14 PM, BIGH2001 said:

Most pro-ready prospect my ass.  

I think we all knew prior to today that he's not ready to be a starter in the league. However, today was the first game where I thought we opened up the playbook and tried to do something different with our pass plays. There were no screens and not many designed short, safe throws to Thielen. Instead, we saw posts and go routes. When he had time to throw, Young was awful. Inaccurate, no anticipation, terrible footwork, basically everything that you don't want to see in a guy that you just mortgaged your future to get. 

Don't get me wrong, the playcalling could have been better, especially in short yardage. This was a game we could have won with a competent OC, but if we had won it would only be because of our ability to run the ball. We have basically become the Weinke/Clausen offense where we should just hand it off every time because we don't have a quarterback capable of making an NFL throw to an NFL open receiver.

Young has so far to go that I'm now pretty much convinced we will waste another year on him and we will be drafting a QB in 2025. We should also consider bringing in some competition next year too in case things go south in the first 6 games. We absolutely made one of the biggest mistakes in NFL history with this pick.

I said all of this last Spring. He didn’t make timing throws. He didn’t play within the system often.