• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sad News about a Fellow Huddler

kittycat

I knew Clifton for 7 years, since our Super Bowl. Met him on another Panther board, recognized his blue wig from his avatar, introduced myself at the next game, and was in tailgating heaven since. Man, was he technologically challenged. Constantly calling me with, “How do I do this?”, “Did you see what that guy said to me?” etc, etc. He started out on the internet taking everything very personal …. You can imagine how that worked out if you ever met him ….

He quit that site (but kept in touch with a lot of the people especially with fantasy football) and just didn’t know what to do with himself. I talked him into joining the Huddle knowing he wouldn’t feel so “attacked” here. He fit right in. I also talked him into trying out the Huddle tailgate. We had tried a small lot up the hill from the Huddle tailgate and it didn’t quite work out.

So, yes, you can blame me for bringing Electro/9Lives to the Huddle. It’s all my fault. Believe me, it took a lot of convincing at first. But as Clifton always did, he fully immersed himself. That man never did anything halfway. It was all or nothing.

Having said that, and knowing how much he loved his girls (you too, Susan) and enjoyed life, I can understand how difficult his final decision must have been. I don’t condone ending your own life but I can fully appreciate where he was, how he felt about himself, about his animals. Like I said, it was all or nothing. He was a very independent man. For how much we talked, he never told me how badly he was doing. Damn, I would’ve talked him into seeing a doctor early. My 6 uncles on my mom’s side all passed from cancer because they went to the doctor too late.

Which should be Clifton’s legacy to every Huddle man: See your doctor regularly, get a full exam periodically. If you feel things have changed in any way, see your doctor! You won’t be a wimp, you’ll be smart.

I’m so going to miss you, Clifton, my friend. As people have said here, you’d do anything to help anybody ….. even a Cowboy fan, I’m sure. Anything, no questions asked. Oh, the stories I could tell from knowing you for only 7 years. You brightened my life. He helped me after my heart surgery, calling often to see how I was doing. I’m so sorry I hadn’t made it to the tailgate in 2 years to see him, I’ve felt lucky just making it to the game. But we still talked.

I can’t believe it. I can’t believe it. It’s taken me forever to write this, I keep crying.

You made me chuckle a bit. Thanks. I can see that blue hair now. He could be clear across the breeze way going down the ramp and yell at me 'wasn't that great!'. He loved Panther football.

RIP Clifton. As bizarre as his behavior was I have to agree with many others here in that he would do anything for anyone. He would get so pissed over things said on here that he would blow my phone up to vent. He brought and prepared food for many tailgates and never asked for a penny. He hooked countless people up with tickets and would bring them to the recipients rather than make them come and get them. Hell, he threw a Jon Boat and a trailer (that he paid for and let me get him back later for) in the back of his truck and brought them a couple of hundred miles to me just as a favor. Very strange sounding story being reported about all of this so I will pass no judgment. God Speed

I agree. It is very strange. It would behoove us all to not pass any judgment.

Good morning everyone

I had reported earlier that the funeral service was scheduled for Friday, but it actually is going to be tomorrow, Wednesday in Clinton, NC. The family is at the funeral home now making arrangements and are trying to plan for 1:00 or 2:00. I am not sure if it will be at a church or the funeral home at this point. As soon as this is all confirmed, I will update you all. If anyone is able to attend, I know the family would really appreciate it. As you can imagine, his parents are struggling with this and any support from people that loved their son would be welcome.

Thanks again for all the support - you are a special group of people.

Leslie

Leslie, you are wonderful to keep us posted as you have. I know you are sadden by this and you must be a trooper to keep giving us updates. Most of us will not be able to attend in person, but our thoughts are there for the family and friends. Please make sure that his parents know how we, on the Huddle, feel. Clifton was a great person.

Al

I certainly will let Clifton's parents know. If anyone wonders where Clifton's sense of giving and helping others came from, I can only say he grew up learning that way of life. His parents are truly special people that have dedicated their lives to helping others. They are both retired, but have said they stay more busy now than they ever did while working. I have seen them throw BBQ's to raise money for people in need, they work consistently at a food pantry, etc. So, doing those types of things were just natural to him. I can't tell you how many times we went out to dinner and he would see a cute elderly couple and say, "let's pick up the tab for them" and call the server over and whisper, "bring us the check for them".

I do know that it is a long haul for most of you and that you won't be able to attend. I am not necessarily a good public speaker - in fact, I start sweating just thinking about it, but, I will do whatever is necessary to make sure that everyone knows who he really was.

Thank you all.

Hidden

Huh?? Had you actually been on the property and seen this?? You can honestly say these animals were being cared for??????

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/6988762/

Was Clifton really only diagnosed Friday? This neglect has been going on for months, and i think the authorities shoulder some of the blame here. The neighbors had reported this long ago.

Watch the video people.

pretty low budget post there.

Everyone put your differences aside for this thread. I've seen a few loved ones that have passed that are not 'themselves' before they pass. But, I have never seen anyone go through what he did, with pancreatic cancer. You have no idea what was going on and neither do I.

I never had the opportunity to meet Clif, but feel he deserves some peace through remembering him on here. Stop going back and forth with each other and take time to think about your loved ones.

Here's to a dedicated fan and friend to us all...I say we dedicate next season's first 'Huddle Tailgate' to him.

Archived