• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith on the firings

Jackie Lee

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Didn’t he flat out say he isn’t on their payroll in an earlier podcast? 

He said it in that podcast in the OP

89 is an asshole.  I think he just agrees with the firings and likely would behave similar to Tepper.  Only 89 wouldn’t have been all “out of respect to Rock Hill, I can’t comment on it”., like Tepper was today.  89 would have blasted Frank out the door.  89 just doesn’t come across as the sympathetic type to NFL coaches. 

2 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

He ran the ‘please fire me so I don’t have to quit and pay my sign on bonus back’ offense. 

Yeah like a true pastor lol. Seems like a weird way to go out for a super religious dude, taking back play calling from Brown so he could go out on his own terms to the detriment of the team. Sounds like it's been a weeks long background distraction that's been stunting any possible growth involving younger players and maybe Brown. At least Tabor sounds like he's going to let Brown do his thing with Caldwell there for him as an advisor. At least Brown is interested in attempting to do a good job for the future of his career vs Reich who was somehow mailing it in but stubborn about his philosophies at the same time

• Flames 1

Interesting that they all noted this was Frank Reich's offense and the worse things got the more Frank Reich the offense got. Shotgun, three wideouts, absolutely zero pre-snap motion. Absolutely zero RPO plays when that's what Bryce ran constantly in college. All acknowledged the lack of vertical threat in the offense. One thing they pointed out is that Bryce is really struggling to recognize "NFL open". WRs aren't getting 3-4 yards of separation every play like at Alabama. Another thing they mentioned was that Bryce was resistant to the arm band and that caused some friction and likely led to some of the issues we saw with struggling with the play clock. Smitty basically said they should've told him you're a rookie, deal with it, we're using the armband.

They all acknowledged that Ickey is probably best suited at OG but to let the next staff make that call. Smitty particularly pointed out that Ickey's feet are a mess. He harkened back to how Wharton played better at OG than OT but he had success and was position flexible because he had great feet. Smitty doesn't think it would look all that different for Ickey right now at OG due to the footwork issues. They also mentioned that moving him to OG would basically be admitting that you made a mistake picking him #6 but it's better to have a good OG than a struggling LT and with Bryce's height interior OL play is vital. Smitty went as far as to say that for a young QB IOL play is more important than OT play because that pressure is coming in your face. Either way, Ickey is a mauler. Pure and simple. Smitty said if he was a pitcher he wouldn't have any curveball or sinker or slider, it would be all fastballs all day. If he was a boxer it'd be all power punches, no jabs. It's just who he is and he has to fit your scheme.

They all praised Evero and the work he's done despite having a different lineup practically every week due to injuries.

That's the stuff that stuck out to me.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah like a true pastor lol. Seems like a weird way to go out for a super religious dude, taking back play calling from Brown so he could go out on his own terms to the detriment of the team. Sounds like it's been a weeks long background distraction that's been stunting any possible growth involving younger players and maybe Brown. At least Tabor sounds like he's going to let Brown do his thing with Caldwell there for him as an advisor. At least Brown is interested in attempting to do a good job for the future of his career vs Reich who was somehow mailing it in but stubborn about his philosophies at the same time

I still think Tepper told Frank he had to give up play calling and it didn’t change things. 

But, if Wolfe is correct, Frank was still dictating what O we ran.  and it sure seemed the same. 

Then Tepper put Frank’s job on the line and Frank got the playcalling back.  And rumors seem to suggest that timeline plays out.  Rumors/reporting is saying several weeks ago is when things started to come to an end for Frank. 

Which would make the tinfoil conspiracy crowd right all along and the reminder to pay little attention to the words in real time out of BOA when they don’t add up 

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Interesting that they all noted this was Frank Reich's offense and the worse things got the more Frank Reich the offense got.

Your boy Mr Scot needs to call into that podcast and tell them how wrong they are.  Thomas Brown built this offense from the ground up and from scratch.   I mean, why should they get off the hook from him

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Your boy Mr Scot needs to call into that podcast and tell them how wrong they are.  Thomas Brown built this offense from the ground up and from scratch.   I mean, why should they get off the hook from him

I definitely had a good chuckle recollecting y'all's arguments when they were talking about that.

• Beer 1

Good point by Cam Wolfe that Bryce just too California laid back in the huddle/getting the calls in for them to run effective pre snap motions. That combined with his lazy dropbacks/crazy footwork/hopping in the air to throw is gonna be tough to fix. Almost like you just want a completely different QB

• Pie 3

40 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yeah sorry, but that whole thing of yours about how he said all that before the season even started just to protect Frank in case things went bad is still some of the dumbest sh-t I've seen on here 😄

Yes, Brown wrote the playbook. He has influences from others but it was still his.

• The D 1

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yeah, it was Frank Reich offense boss.  Has been a Frank Reich O. The fact you are unwilling to concede that painful reality…..is just a you thing. 

and you are still tripling down on random Panther PR statements.  Despite it being essentially a weekly show about the bullshit they have spewed being just that.  Thomas Brown came in here and was a completely neutered “OC” that wasn’t allowed to actually be the OC.  And yes, when they had  to put their own spin on how he would be talked about given they weren’t actually going to let him be the actual OC.  It’s a bad look to say the truth.  For everyone.  It was always Frank. 

It’s amazing.  Everyone here is wrong.  NFL players are wrong.  Only you are right.  Because BOA once put out something  that never actually made sense as they pitched it. 

Feel free to respond or don’t.   Keeping it going with you is no longer entertaining.  So I’m going to let your post be going forward,   It’s like Scott Fitterer dealing with you on your arguments.  Pointless. 

It was Thomas Brown who said it, dude. He doesn't work for Panthers PR.

And for the record, I wasn't the only one pointing out how stupid the idea that Brown said that for PR reasons. I was, in fact, one of many.

Of course, you followed that up with the notion that we should have redone the entire offensive line rather than just ask Frank to adjust his scheme, so I guess you're consistent 😄

• Poo 2