• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A year to early, Tepp, Fitt, Reich

CBird

5 minutes ago, Ghostofdelhomme said:

Tepper is a “hedge fund manager”, I.e professional gambler who got rich by either cheating or being extremely lucky. Bryce Young is his WeWork.

The part about hedge funds that doesn't translate to the NFL is that there's a much larger pool of potential investment opportunities and other investors jumping in doesn't necessarily exclude you. Common stock can be held by lots of different investors. There's no exclusivity unless you buy the whole outfit and take it private.

The NFL is all about a small talent pool and exclusive rights. You can't go buy stock in Patrick Mahomes. You have to identify Patrick Mahomes, go get him, then develop him. Same with coaches and front office personnel. It's an entirely different environment requiring an entirely different approach and I see no signs of Tepper understanding that. He keeps thinking he's going to figure out a secret cheat code to dominate the league when all he's really accomplishing is digging himself into a gigantic hole.

• Pie 1

Tepper has been desperate for his statement guy. Salivating. His guy. His team fingerprint. His way of finally showing the league (and fans)  it’s not Jerry’s team any longer. 

Jerry had SS89, Kuechly and Cam. Blue chip names that get media press daily. 

Bryce, for only God knows what reason, was his chosen guy, and he now looks like an even bigger fool than he did before. God only knows what he saw in him. 

• Pie 3

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The part about hedge funds that doesn't translate to the NFL is that there's a much larger pool of potential investment opportunities and other investors jumping in doesn't necessarily exclude you. Common stock can be held by lots of different investors. There's no exclusivity unless you buy the whole outfit and take it private.

The NFL is all about a small talent pool and exclusive rights. You can't go buy stock in Patrick Mahomes. You have to identify Patrick Mahomes, go get him, then develop him. Same with coaches and front office personnel. It's an entirely different environment requiring an entirely different approach and I see no signs of Tepper understanding that. He keeps thinking he's going to figure out a secret cheat code to dominate the league when all he's really accomplishing is digging himself into a gigantic hole.

Draft picks are a lot like Apple Stock in 1987. Has potential, but no one predicted a 6th Round draft pick would become the largest company in the world.

5 minutes ago, Ghostofdelhomme said:

Draft picks are a lot like Apple Stock in 1987. Has potential, but no one predicted a 6th Round draft pick would become the largest company in the world.

Unlike with Apple where you can watch it grow, see it's potential, and hop on at anytime at the market price, once the Patriots draft Tom Brady in the 6th round that's a wrap. No more opportunity to invest.

21 hours ago, CBird said:

I truly hope that karma and the football gods make me eat my words, but I said it before and it’s starting to look like the Panthers brain trust couldn’t hold their water and went all in for a QB a year to early.

Think about it, we could have had Jalen Carter or Christian Gonzalez in last years draft, and had our pick of this years crop of QB’s in the draft.

Would you rather have Bryce Young or…..?

Caleb Williams

Drake Maye

Bo Nix

Michael Penix

Cameron Ward

Shedur Sanders

Jordan Travis

Dillon Gabriel

Jayden Daniels

………..

Gonna be a long cold winter until the panthers are competitive and in playoffs with a chance to get to big show.

Live in the now

Edited by Shocker
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It just seems like everyone Tepper hires is basically just a fall guy. If Bryce was out there killing it there's a 100% chance that Tepper would be all smiles, showing up at tailgates, and giving plenty of media interviews where he would be proudly talking credit for being personally involved in the selection of Bryce. 

I think this is the thing...

He absolutely wants to succeed, but more than anything else, he wants to be seen as the reason behind the success. It might not necessarily be about the money so much as it is the prestige.

That's why I think if Fitterer is indeed willing to let Tepper dictate major choices, that could be a reason he keeps the job. It's not a good reason, but it's a reason.

It still might not be enough though.

Tepper could decide to move on to someone else he thinks is better, but someone who will still allow him to either dictate or influence at least the top picks and free agents.

In which case, nothing changes.

It's impossible to know without being able to see what goes on behind the scenes, but we've seen hints of this from multiple sources. Also, reading the way Dianna Russini, for example, talks about team leadership as a monolithic entity makes me wonder.

And again, if this is true, we're screwed for years to come.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Tepper has been desperate for his statement guy. Salivating. His guy. His team fingerprint. His way of finally showing the league (and fans)  it’s not Jerry’s team any longer. 

Bryce, for only God knows what reason, was his chosen guy, and he now looks like an even bigger fool than he did before. God only knows what he saw in him. 

In other words: David Tepper took a team with an established culture and a recent winning track record and flushed it down the toilet in an egoistic attempt to prove his football wisdom.

the result is literally the worst winning percentage in professional sports

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Gapanthersfan said:

...Prollly saw some BS stats and never watched him play at Alabama...

Just now, TN05 said:

In other words: David Tepper took a team with an established culture and a recent winning track record and flushed it down the toilet in an egoistic attempt to prove his football wisdom.

the result is literally the worst winning percentage in professional sports

1000%

Here’s my wacko conspiracy theorist take: 

1. We know the NFL desperately wants to ‘expand’ to other markets, but it would leave one conference and division with an extra team if they just add one. Right now at 32 teams, it’s perfect. Any more screws the numbers up.

No owner pre-Tepper wanted to move his team… but the league IS going to get it’s way. 

2. we know the old boy network of NFL owners dubbed Tepper as the next owner.

3. The Panthers won’t be in Charlotte in 5 years.

4. Tepper, being well know among owners would be purposely on board 100% behind the ruining the franchise and dgaf, therefore making the move easy. None of the other candidates would be ok with tanking. Sounds like some hedge fund stuff… hmmmm…

5. OR, the owners knew the team would be such a disaster with him as the owner and the demise would come together organically. 

either way is a win for him. He now owns a stinking stadium venue that stays even after the team leaves. 

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I didn't like the trade.  We gave up too much, that was even before we drafted Bryce, so this isn't a hindsight 20/20 thing.  This team had/has too many holes to give up that much PREMIUM draft capital.  Fast forward, now we have a bust (in the making) AND lack all those premium picks.  NEVER, EVER put all your eggs in one basket.  There's a reason why these old sayings still ring true.  This front office went all in on Bryce at the expense of the future health of the team/organization and it's looking like a major backfire probably taking at least two years to dig out from this hole no matter who the GM and HC are, current or other.

I wasn't too keen on the trade either, so I certainly think that you have a point. Too much can go wrong if you put all your eggs in one basket. We had a lot of holes, and created more. People only want to analyze post-trade, but honestly we should've stayed put.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I didn't like the trade.  We gave up too much, that was even before we drafted Bryce, so this isn't a hindsight 20/20 thing.  This team had/has too many holes to give up that much PREMIUM draft capital.  Fast forward, now we have a bust (in the making) AND lack all those premium picks.  NEVER, EVER put all your eggs in one basket.  There's a reason why these old sayings still ring true.  This front office went all in on Bryce at the expense of the future health of the team/organization and it's looking like a major backfire probably taking at least two years to dig out from this hole no matter who the GM and HC are, current or other.

We were all clamoring for a QB after the carousel we had been on... but you don't give up that much unless its a Manning, Luck type player. What is crazy to me is all the gurus and sages that have a combined 250 years in the biz thought a 5'`10" 180lb QB was the dude that would lead us to the promise land...WTF! There in lies the problem....tepper has dug a big deep wide azz hole that is going to be tough to recover from...this team is gutted....and we will be the laughing stock of the NFL...we have a 5 year head start....

• Pie 1