• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shoulder problems...

The Faceless

So I've had this lingering issue with my left shoulder for a couple years now and it's more than likely going to come down to surgery at some point down the line. It pops out sometimes where the Rotator Cuff is, when I do things like dumbbell incline presses but doesn't affect me on flat bench or standing front military presses.

I know of things like resistance band workouts and shoulder raises, but is there anything else I should incorporate into my regimen? Also, are there any supplements I can take to encourage the healing process?

My shoulders have bothered me for about 14 years... I went to the Dr. about my left shoulder in 2000... he examined me, and pronounced he wanted to have an arthagram/MRI done on it... so I went in, they shaved my upper chest and laid me out on this table... the doc says, OK, you're gonna feel a little sting... I did... he said, OK, you're gonna feel a little pressure... I did... he then says... OK, this is probably really gonna hurt...

dude, it felt like he cut my arm off. He put dye in the shoulder joint to do the MRI... I was about 98/100ths of blacking out it hurt so bad. They will NEVER ever do that to me again. Then to top it off, the Dr. couldn't determine what the problem was... bastard.

Needless to say, my shoulders still bother me, bad sometimes... I think I *may* have a torn labrum in my right one, but I'm cool with it, I just deal with the pain. As long as I don't hyper-extend them up too high, I'm usually OK. Lifting doesn't normally bother them... I just can't do lateral raises at all, pressing is OK, pretty much at any angle. I can't do squats anymore because it hurts too bad to hold the bar on my shoulders, so I just do other leg exercises...

So, the moral to my story is, be very wary of what you let the docs do to you... unless you think something is broken or torn, try and let it heal for a while before you do anything... my chiropractor helps my shoulders more than anything. PM Jbland on here and ask him about it...

Man that must have been horrible nc_biscuit...I'm thinking this might be a torn labrum or something in mine as well. It sometimes feels like it's just not attached at all in this particular area of my shoulder. It's not a HUGE concern at the moment but I'm just worried about what it will be like as I get older.

My shoulders have bothered me for about 14 years... I went to the Dr. about my left shoulder in 2000... he examined me, and pronounced he wanted to have an arthagram/MRI done on it... so I went in, they shaved my upper chest and laid me out on this table... the doc says, OK, you're gonna feel a little sting... I did... he said, OK, you're gonna feel a little pressure... I did... he then says... OK, this is probably really gonna hurt...

dude, it felt like he cut my arm off. He put dye in the shoulder joint to do the MRI... I was about 98/100ths of blacking out it hurt so bad. They will NEVER ever do that to me again. Then to top it off, the Dr. couldn't determine what the problem was... bastard.

Needless to say, my shoulders still bother me, bad sometimes... I think I *may* have a torn labrum in my right one, but I'm cool with it, I just deal with the pain. As long as I don't hyper-extend them up too high, I'm usually OK. Lifting doesn't normally bother them... I just can't do lateral raises at all, pressing is OK, pretty much at any angle. I can't do squats anymore because it hurts too bad to hold the bar on my shoulders, so I just do other leg exercises...

So, the moral to my story is, be very wary of what you let the docs do to you... unless you think something is broken or torn, try and let it heal for a while before you do anything... my chiropractor helps my shoulders more than anything. PM Jbland on here and ask him about it...

sorry to hear that man. just curious. what type of diet do you have?

I was doing bench and bicep curls only and my left shoulder started killing me. I was working for the Panthers at the time so I went to the team trainer. He asked me if I was doing bench and biceps only. Yep. Biceps tendinitis. Your bicep muscle connects to the bone at the shoulder. Could that be it?

I was doing bench and bicep curls only and my left shoulder started killing me. I was working for the Panthers at the time so I went to the team trainer. He asked me if I was doing bench and biceps only. Yep. Biceps tendinitis. Your bicep muscle connects to the bone at the shoulder. Could that be it?

No, this first happened way back in HS football...hit the ground right on my shoulder and popped it out and stayed that way for a good 10 minutes before "rolling" back into place.(That's how it felt anyways lol). I've never had any problems while doing biceps.

No, this first happened way back in HS football...hit the ground right on my shoulder and popped it out and stayed that way for a good 10 minutes before "rolling" back into place.(That's how it felt anyways lol). I've never had any problems while doing biceps.

My shoulder ached 24/7, not just while I was lifting. It's just now back to normal.

Hidden

Man that sucks.....after 14 years of pain I doubt any supplement is going to help. Might want to ask your doctor about a monthly or bi monthly cortizone shot but all that is going to do is hide the pain which will probably make you damage whatever it is worse. Also, have you ever looked into accupuncture? Might not be a bad idea.

Man that must have been horrible nc_biscuit...I'm thinking this might be a torn labrum or something in mine as well. It sometimes feels like it's just not attached at all in this particular area of my shoulder. It's not a HUGE concern at the moment but I'm just worried about what it will be like as I get older.

It's not so bad... it catches me every once in a while... usually while doing innocuous things like eating a bowl of cereal... I'll reach up with a bite and it will catch and hurt... I am getting old so things just hurt sometimes, I'm pretty used to it by now.

sorry to hear that man. just curious. what type of diet do you have?

I don't eat as well as I should, but I don't eat terrible either... I've pretty much cut out fast food (except Taco Bell) and sodas, I don't eat as many veggies as I should, but I do eat some and I supplement as well. I've tried chondroitin and never really noticed it helping...

When I had my arthagram done, that was the only thing the doc said he thought it "might" be... he said it looked like I had a small "spur" coming off the upper bicep tendon... but most of my pain is directly in the joints so I don't think that's what it is. Lifting doesn't bother me in general... like I said in my first post, there are a few exercises I just don't do, but benching (flat, incline and decline) and any should presses don't hurt them at all... just lateral raises. I have to be careful sometimes on pull-downs not to "pop" my shoulder out as I go to the top, but those don't hurt me.

best answer: go to a doctor.

I've rehabbing my shoulders as well. Big thanks to toddzilla and Big Dave Randell for tearing them off my body awhile back... There is no pain like arm wrestling pain, its a painful joy.

I hate giving advice without knowing your past injury history and current physical(mental too) state. I can share what works for me and what I believe. You must stretch, I hate hate hate to do so. Never been a fan and hate hate it, but its a must for BOTH pre and post workouts. there are all sort of free ones on google, just watch-out if you had a separated shoulder BE VERY CAREFUL and do much more research. One of favs is using a door way and place you elbows on each side and mildly do a calf stretch threw the door.(do not do if had separated shoulder). many triceps ones as well.

Here is one of my helpers for all pain, shower hot/cold. I call it the psycho shower. Start by the hottest water you can stand(direct it on the shoulder if thats the problem), shampoo, get your rag/ball-thingy wet, turnoff shower. scub your body(focus on shoulder), ready for rise...cold as you can stand... in my opinion a cheap/great helper. If you want to focus on shoulder get two wash clothing and a bowl of HOT water and ice cold and 3 mins for each until 20+ mins is up(hot as you can stand same for cold).

One the best treatment is getting a real massage by a expert. Not form a Chinese one.... Goto business and ask who is the best for shoulders(strong hands is a must). then ask for a happy ending.... my wars in armwreslting, this was a big help.

Working out, you must strengthen the area of muscles so all can share the burden on the injury. You know your limits and the levels of pain, so if its impossible for me to say whats what. Choose a couple workouts and do them.

ill be back with some meds you can try out. Plus I will be testing a new research drug that should help, GREATLY. I'll only recommend it if it works and cheap for the common man. After feb.

Archived