• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Retooling the offensive approach...

Mr. Scot

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

This though...

Well, Frank let someone else do it for a few games and it hasn't looked better.  Why not retake the play calling duties?  This will be the make or break week for Brown.  If he can get something going versus that Dallas defense then he'll retain the duties for a bit longer, but if it looks as bad...or worse than it has, Frank will take the duties back over.

People are screaming scheme, but the skill positions is a about as bad as it gets.

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

He's not lying, we can win "a" football game and have done so.   Consistently winning?  Nope, we are sorely lacking talent on the offensive side of the ball.

At the skill positions perhaps, but not on the line.

Those guys didn't go from being good blockers to complete turnstiles in a year.

They're being used in a way that doesn't suit them, especially Ekwonu.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

At the skill positions perhaps, but not on the line.

Those guys didn't go from being good blockers to complete turnstiles in a year.

They're being used in a way that doesn't suit them, especially Ekwonu.

The OLs problem is two-fold. First are injuries and secondly is scheme.  If...BIG IF, we can stay healthy and solidify the LG position, I think we will see strides made with the OL.  Ickey has had a rotating door next to him all season.  Couple that with less help than he had last season while protecting a rookie QB with WRs that can't get open, yeah, he's had a rough year.

The skill positions are lacking tremendously.  That's the main problem.

Edited by 45catfan

Just now, 45catfan said:

The OLs prolem is two-fold. First are injuries and secondly is scheme.  If...BIG IF, we can stay healthy and solidify the LG position, I think we will see strides made with the OL.  Ickey has had a rotating door next to him all season.  Couple that with less help than he had last season while protecting a rookie QB with WRs that can't gt open, yeah, he's had a rough year.

The skill positions are lacking tremendously.  That's the main problem.

Staying within a West Coast style offense, the left guard position gets solidified by Ickey moving into it. That probably wouldn't happen until next season though.

If Christensen were available, he could be moved to left tackle. Sadly, he isn't and I don't know that we have anyone else up to the task.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

Not that he’s been showing any effectiveness—but it wouldn’t surprise me if Thomas Brown was back in touch with McVay about returning to LA in 2024 (via text at the least)

”Yo man, yeah it’s a mess here”

He's part of the mess, though. He wrote the plays.

I suspect next season he'll go back to being a runningback coach.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's part of the mess, though. He wrote the plays.

I suspect next season he'll go back to being a runningback coach.

It's all a matter of internal workings and league circles.  He was also McVay's AHC, is well-liked around the league, coaching and players alike.  And don't forget he already interviewed for the Dolphins job when they went with McDaniel.  Some guys have gone on to great success after being on bad staffs...truly a league of inner circles.

Also--Reich's mentioned the playbook was a collaborative process, not any one person.  And given the architecture, it is 100% a Reich one in its framework.  Problem is he may have brought in a guy from Snohetta to help design a Wendy's. 

So that being said, I don't see why TB can't still have success, he's young.  And he's with a lot of different minds/coaching types than he started his career with.  It's honestly a good experience for a guy his age to go through this type of growing pains as a coach. 

Panthers wise--Sure wish we weren't this coaching farm for a bunch of guys who aren't ready yet.  It's like we're a mix of that and over the hill oldies.    

27 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

It's all a matter of internal workings and league circles.  He was also McVay's AHC, is well-liked around the league, coaching and players alike.  And don't forget he already interviewed for the Dolphins job when they went with McDaniel.  Some guys have gone on to great success after being on bad staffs...truly a league of inner circles.

Also--Reich's mentioned the playbook was a collaborative process, not any one person.  And given the architecture, it is 100% a Reich one in its framework.  Problem is he may have brought in a guy from Snohetta to help design a Wendy's. 

So that being said, I don't see why TB can't still have success, he's young.  And he's with a lot of different minds/coaching types than he started his career with.  It's honestly a good experience for a guy his age to go through this type of growing pains as a coach. 

Panthers wise--Sure wish we weren't this coaching farm for a bunch of guys who aren't ready yet.  It's like we're a mix of that and over the hill oldies.    

I wouldn't say he can't have success. Lots of guys take a step back. Sean Payton did.

As far as the playbook though, per Browns own words, he wrote it himself. It includes influences and philosophies from both McVay and Reich, but the play designs are his own.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't say he can't have success. Lots of guys take a step back. Sean Payton did.

As far as the playbook though, per Browns own words, he wrote it himself. It includes influences and philosophies from both McVay and Reich, but the play designs are his own.

Where was that?