• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Retooling the offensive approach...

Mr. Scot

14 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I like Downs and wanted him at 39, but he is a slot which is where AT is playing.  Slot WR might be the only thing on offense that looks decent for us.  

He's got the kind of speed that would make him a great option to catch short passes and take them for long runs.

That's a staple of WCO attacks, but I don't know that we have anyone who suits that role.

At the very least, I'd expect him to be an Az Zahir-Hakim type player here.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

Theilen isn’t going to be around forever. Doubt he’s here next year. If you watched Downs at Chapel Hill which I did, you’ll know he’s more than just a slot guy. 

Hey I was wanting him at 39 the whole time.  Stroud at 1 Downs at 39 was the dream.  Another slot is still better than what we have on the outside.  

• Beer 1

As much flack as Reich deserves, we also have to acknowledge there is only so much he can do schematically.  When Thielen is your No. 1 WR, you are screwed.  I've been saying it all season. He puts up good fantasy numbers but he's a terrible #1.

The solution would be to run more of a power run game, take pressure off the WRs.  But the RBs and OL are horrible.  I don't even think Hubbard is good either, just better than Miles.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, thennek said:

I still wonder how much of the offensive stinkage is due to them trying to figure out how to use an undersized, below average arm strength QB. For all of the pre-draft expert takes on Young, I am not seeing it at all. I watched some of the Jets game Monday and their offense led by Wilson looks very similar to the Panthers. 
I still think if Dalton plays we would see a significant improvement in how the offense runs. Of course Dalton is not the answer but he clearly is better than Young. If the Panthers wanna win, they should be playing Dalton.

Young is somebody who ought to be ideal for a WCO, honestly.

But that only works if you can block for him, and if you have West Coast type receivers.

We're lacking in both those areas.

41 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

... would be a massive project, but with ten days available it could at least be worth a shot.

What would I suggest? Shifting to a run heavy scheme to utilize the personnel we have on the OL in a manner that suits their skill set and hopefully minimizes the damage done to Bryce Young.

There should already be at least some plays in the playbook geared to this (short yardage plays if nothing else) that could be emphasized more or even tweaked to fit different down and distance situations. Hell, there's certainly time to write new plays even.

At the very least though, the game plans we've been using are not working and those have got to change.

Would it accomplish anything?

Don't know, but it's better than playing out the proverbial  definition of insanity.

Was thinking the same thing. Do what you can to protect Bryce the rest of the season, while still letting him play and get reps. Literally, the only thing that matters is Bryce's development at this point. He will likely outlast the GM and HC that drafted him.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

As much flack as Reich deserves, we also have to acknowledge there is only so much he can do schematically.  When Thielen is your No. 1 WR, you are screwed.  I've been saying it all season. He puts up good fantasy numbers but he's a terrible #1.

The solution would be to run more of a power run game, take pressure off the WRs.  But the RBs and OL are horrible.  I don't even think Hubbard is good either, just better than Miles.

Hubbard thrived last year as a straight ahead type runner though. Hell, he's arguably the best looking back we've got this year.

Sure could use a healthy Shenault too, though.

1 minute ago, Evil Hurney said:

Was thinking the same thing. Do what you can to protect Bryce the rest of the season, while still letting him play and get reps. Literally, the only thing that matters is Bryce's development at this point. He will likely outlast the GM and HC that drafted him.

It's a real possibility...

22 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Logically this is what the personnel fits, why would anything else be fine until the personnel is retooled ?

why  would any NFL  professional think otherwise 

the first qtr of the season should’ve proved such to a GM and coach who should have known FROM THE START

this is not new news 

what’s the saying from Einstein 

‘’Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid"

there are a lot of people in the Panthers organization that lack basic, common sense  and I’m done with it 

There's enough offensive knowledge on this staff between guys like Reich, Caldwell, Staley and others that such a basic misunderstanding would seem unthinkable.

Yet here we are...

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Hey I was wanting him at 39 the whole time.  Stroud at 1 Downs at 39 was the dream.  Another slot is still better than what we have on the outside.  

That was my board as well. I shouldn’t be better at drafting than an NFL GM but as it turns out I am. 

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, the point is correct….but this was discussed and evident weeks ago.  Frank has never made any obvious adjustments.  No reason to think this week is different than all the others.   It’s why Frank needs to be fired.  

He gave up playcalling, something a lot of people believed would make a difference.

It did. We got worse.

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

There's enough offensive knowledge on this staff between guys like Reich, Caldwell, Staley and others that such a basic misunderstanding would seem unthinkable.

Yet here we

as I alluded to, for months, therein lies the exact problem  

I’ve seen enough to know I do not want to see anymore 

dearth of common sense 

there is zero, and I mean zero, tactical to strategic planning goi g in frim too to bottom 

any GM who thought as Fitterer does, needs to be gone   You can  never, ever stop in one player and go unless it’s already a perfect roster with an unchanged system and the player being dropped, in, fits it 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Young is somebody who ought to be ideal for a WCO, honestly.

But that only works if you can block for him, and if you have West Coast type receivers.

We're lacking in both those areas.

Which is why you wonder if they figured out after they drafted him that they could do what they originally had planned to run….and then it was too late. Young clearly is  it comfortable but I am having doubts that he looks good in any NFL offense. He is a unicorn…some compare his size to Wilson and Brees but that is  not accurate as both were bigger.  I was not on board with drafting him but figured the experts knew more than me. They clearly were not ready to build an offense around him.

Edited by thennek