• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Avatar just hit the $2 Billion mark!

jasonluckydog

That's just crazy! I need to see it.

http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/42-avatar-earnings-sink-titanic

Avatar" is now officially -- as Jack Dawson, the hero of the old box-office heavyweight, "Titanic," would say -- king of the world, internationally and domestically. James Cameron's "Avatar" has grossed over $601 million, officially making it the highest grossing domestic film of all time, and has surpassed the $2 billion (yes, billion!) mark in worldwide sales.

Two billion dollars! Think about that. A movie starring blue aliens and Sam Worthington -- an actor who, a year ago, no one had ever heard of -- just made $2 billion. To put this in perspective, a Ford Taurus costs roughly $25,000. The worldwide gross of "Avatar" could buy a new Ford Taurus for all 80,000 seated fans at the new Cowboys Stadium -- with some gas money to spare. Or, if the gross was spread to every man, woman, and child in the United States, this would purchase every single one of them a basic-tier Netflix subscription. (Adding "Avatar" to all of their queues would be completely optional, put probably polite.)

I have heard that other than the special effects it's not very good. But money buys things....like Oscar nominations.

You heard right... just saw this the other day. It's a modern day cowboys and indians movie with enough liberalist agenda to make you gag. If it weren't for the CGI, I'd say wait for DVD. The plot was pretty thin and predictable, and well.. boring.

Well. If tixs in 1930 weren't a nickel we wouldn't bring up inflation.

We don't say Jim Thorpe is faster than Usain Bolt because Jim had more wind speed to deal with because there were less taller buildings than now.

But. Avatar has hit a major milestone in a little over a month. That's strong.

You heard right... just saw this the other day. It's a modern day cowboys and indians movie with enough liberalist agenda to make you gag. If it weren't for the CGI, I'd say wait for DVD. The plot was pretty thin and predictable, and well.. boring.

I put this in the thread for Avatar in Nerdvana, and I'll put it here too...basically sums up every thought I have about the movie; it's not terrible, it's just trite. And hackneyed. And cliched. And that's fine for some people--and it's fine that it's fine--but once again my English major bites me in the ass and I can't just enjoy the pretty special effects.

I put this in the thread for Avatar in Nerdvana, and I'll put it here too...basically sums up every thought I have about the movie; it's not terrible, it's just trite. And hackneyed. And cliched. And that's fine for some people--and it's fine that it's fine--but once again my English major bites me in the ass and I can't just enjoy the pretty special effects.

The more I think about it, Avatar is the Nickelback of the movie industry. Proof that people will consistently buy the same exact poo for eternity--as long as you sell it (Groundbreaking 3D groundbreaking 3D!!!!)

That review was hilarious.. thanks for the laugh!

To comment... nothing in today's art/cinema/music has an ounce of originality. It's all been done before -- sad, but true. It's the few items that come along that disguise this fact best is what makes for a decent time. Avatar is so not included in this group, it's not even remotely funny.

The conversation that created Avatar:

Random Guy: Wow! James Cameron! You just had the greatest selling movie of all time! That's a once in a lifetime kinda thing!

James Cameron: Bullsh*t, watch me.

Random Guy: Huh?

James Cameron: I bet a can make a movie about....f*ck, I don't know, smurfs and it would do better. Hell, cat smurfs. Smurf blue cat people. Damn right, I could make that sell like nothing else. I bet I could even take the plot from another movie and it would still sell better.

Random Guy: You're crazy.

James Cameron: Like a fox.

Archived