• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bobcats ownership to be settled

pantherfan49

Former Houston Rockets president/CEO George Postolos -- whose first attempt to purchase the team, according to the Charlotte Observer, fell apart last summer -- has made a new offer that Bobcats president Michael Jordan has until the end of February to match, according to sources.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4882471

Who wants MJ to stay and who wants him to go?

You guys can say what you want about Jordan but losing him could doom this team. He goes so does Larry. Larry is a huge part of this teams success. Jordan has made some bad decisions but he wants to win more then anyone and he is showing it by always being open for trades and getting free agents. I could careless about Bob.

Bob wants to win too and is the man who brought in Jordan. Doesnt matter who you get to own this team, if people dont come out and support them when they win, they wont make a profit, and this wont be the best situation. This season & (last season to a lesser degree) showed me that Bob Johnson is commited to winning and that the Bobcats can give this area a winning team to be proud of.

Hasn't been much of an owner. Would prefer to get someone more interested in Charlotte and at least attending some of the games.

So, someone from Houston is going to spend more time at games than 2 owners from Washington and Chicago?

I would take an experienced business leader in the entertainment field for ownership over an ex basketball player any day.

Orlando used to have Dr J in the front office as a consultant and someone to help in many aspects of the business. Jordan would be perfect in that role.

So, someone from Houston is going to spend more time at games than 2 owners from Washington and Chicago?

Bob is at most games. I would expect anyone with a large ownership stake to at least attend a couple times a month. If not they really have no clue on all the intangibles on game nights at the arena.

I would take an experienced business leader in the entertainment field for ownership over an ex basketball player any day.

Well normally I would agree with you. But in this situation I dont. You lose Bob, youre more than likely gonna lose Mike, which in turn means you lose Larry Brown and all the prosperity you've built up the past few years. The proposed owner doesnt draw potential players or interest to this franchise, Mike does. So while he may not be your typical "office" guy, Mike adds a value to this franchise that cant be replaced. I also think Mike & Bob's "lack of interest" in a team they have millions upon millions invested into is overblown. I dont care if Mike & Bob live here just like the Panthers dont care if Jake Delhomme does. Doesnt mean they're not "nice guys". This is just not a very profitable market for pro basketball even when you are winning. Its not the only market in the NBA you could describe like that, but its one of them.

Orlando used to have Dr J in the front office as a consultant and someone to help in many aspects of the business. Jordan would be perfect in that role.

I would have agreed with that prior to the team coming to the league, but after all the debacles that Bob had, that would no longer be the case for me. I think that MJ has done a decent job, but with Larry Brown in his ear MJ has done a fantastic job. Now, when Larry Brown retires, will that still be the case. Not too sure.

Well normally I would agree with you. But in this situation I dont. You lose Bob, youre more than likely gonna lose Mike, which in turn means you lose Larry Brown and all the prosperity you've built up the past few years. The proposed owner doesnt draw potential players or interest to this franchise, Mike does. So while he may not be your typical "office" guy, Mike adds a value to this franchise that cant be replaced. I also think Mike & Bob's "lack of interest" in a team they have millions upon millions invested into is overblown. I dont care if Mike & Bob live here just like the Panthers dont care if Jake Delhomme does. Doesnt mean they're not "nice guys". This is just not a very profitable market for pro basketball even when you are winning. Its not the only market in the NBA you could describe like that, but its one of them.

Are you saying Charlottes not a profitable market or the NBA in a whole? If you're saying Charlotte isn't then that is completely wrong. The Hornets were destroying NBA attendance records. Charlotte is still bitter with the NBA right now from the Hornets and the product the Bobcats have put out there has been terrible. It's just now starting to get good.A buddy of mine had 4 club seats and was dishing out over 20 grand a year on them and the team sucked. You can't expect people to come out and pay big time NBA prices for a team that is no where near the playoffs. We're winning now and people are starting to talk. Soon the stadium will start to fill up. It's going to take time here.

Archived