• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young is very similar to Drew Brees but Panthers nation should be patient

Lame Duck

Man Bryce cant hold Brees jockstrap right now. Or any great QB for that matter.

I have been going back and watching a lot of cams rookie year games lately and cot damn let me tell you this poo is night and day from a QB talent perspective. Forget who had the better team. 

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, emhoward said:

Man, our fanbase really hates our QB. You can say that's not what it is, but that's exactly what's going on. If he sucks, he'll always suck and we can move on, but the quickness with which a lot of us gave up on OUR QB is astonishing to me. 

When you trade what we did to select a QB at 1 and our passing game looks as bad or worse than we did with Bridgewater Darnold or Mayfield this is what you get. What's astonishing to me is folks like yourself think people are required to watch this and clap like idiots.

• Flames 1

10 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Great post. I'm ashamed of how a large portion of this fan base has treated Bryce. Yet I guarantee you if/when he turns it around and develops into a franchise QB these same fans will be wearing his jersey.

I'm not even saying that it's a sure bet that he's going to work out, but you don't give up on the #1 pick in the draft after half his rookie season, especially when the team around him is so awful.

I don’t think I’d boo him at all, but we are 1-7 after being told in the offseason (before preseason games) that we’d be competitive, we traded away CMC and Moore for peanuts and we don’t even have our 1st round pick, which looks like our best pick since Cam. Being 1-7 after Rhule is really bad. It’s not surprising that there’s a ton of frustration because it doesn’t feel like when Cam started with us. I don’t care if Young might be good down the road, he lost the game for us yesterday against a mediocre team and the interceptions were bad. They felt like he was jumping and throwing to his check downs without being able to see them.

5 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I don’t think I’d boo him at all, but we are 1-7 after being told in the offseason (before preseason games) that we’d be competitive, we traded away CMC and Moore for peanuts and we don’t even have our 1st round pick, which looks like our best pick since Cam. Being 1-7 after Rhule is really bad. It’s not surprising that there’s a ton of frustration because it doesn’t feel like when Cam started with us. I don’t care if Young might be good down the road, he lost the game for us yesterday against a mediocre team and the interceptions were bad. They felt like he was jumping and throwing to his check downs without being able to see them.

No question it was a bad game from Bryce - his worst of the season by far - but he's a rookie QB on a bad team and these type of games are going to happen. Yesterday was the classic example of a rookie QB on a bad team struggling; chicken or the egg? Yesterday was both.

Like I said, I'm not going to sit here and say that I think Bryce is 100% going to be a franchise QB, but I will say that the way a portion of the fan base is acting regarding him is embarrassing to me as a long-time fan. NO rookie QB should be written off halfway through his first season, especially when the team around him is this bad. And that's not even getting into the coaching situation.

Bryce has shown flashes despite all this, and that's what keeps me encouraged enough to think he could be our guy long-term. Maybe he won't be, but all I'm saying is we don't know yet and likely won't for a while.

17 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

No question it was a bad game from Bryce - his worst of the season by far - but he's a rookie QB on a bad team and these type of games are going to happen. Yesterday was the classic example of a rookie QB on a bad team struggling; chicken or the egg? Yesterday was both.

Like I said, I'm not going to sit here and say that I think Bryce is 100% going to be a franchise QB, but I will say that the way a portion of the fan base is acting regarding him is embarrassing to me as a long-time fan. NO rookie QB should be written off halfway through his first season, especially when the team around him is this bad. And that's not even getting into the coaching situation.

Bryce has shown flashes despite all this, and that's what keeps me encouraged enough to think he could be our guy long-term. Maybe he won't be, but all I'm saying is we don't know yet and likely won't for a while.

Agreed. I’d love for him to blossom but we’ve got such large issues it’s disheartening as a fan. Not having what is now the #1 pick* in 2024 or our 2nd in 2025, we are well behind the 8-ball. The OL appears to have seriously regressed so it feels like we have no strengths. We’ve had so few draft picks because of our other trades as well, so very little young talent who could become impact starters. Maybe Mingo and that’s it.

*Arizona is 1-8 (no bye yet) but we win tiebreaker if we finish with same number of wins.

I’m really hoping yesterday’s game was just one of those games that all QBs have. But yesterday was a decisive victory for everyone who doubts Bryce as a long term starter. There is NO defending how he played yesterday. It’s one of the few games where I have to admit that Andy Dalton would have won that game. 

Ok, now I’m going back into hiding. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

The Chargers gave up on Brees because he had a very significant shoulder injury, throwing arm no less.  He was also a free agent and they happened to draft Phillip Rivers the year prior.

This comparison couldn't be more off other than they both lack ideal height.  If the implication is Brees didn't light it up early on, that could be said of most rookies, but the tools were there for Drew.  Bryce is lacking the physical tools, being short is only one of his limitations.

13 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Refresher of Brees' in SD -- just know that these are highlights, not lowlights.  

LOL I'm 3 minutes in and Young has already proven he can't do half of that stuff. 

Brees scrambles away from DLinemen and hits WRs 30+ yards downfield in stride. 

• Pie 2

13 hours ago, The Lobo said:

I thought a big reason SD traded him was bc his shoulder got wrecked? 

They didn't trade him - they offered him an incentives based contract because they weren't sure about his shoulder. 

The Saints offered him guaranteed money (and the Miami doctors wouldn't sign off on his shoulder).

Just now, OldhamA said:

They didn't trade him - they offered him an incentives based contract because they weren't sure about his shoulder. 

The Saints offered him guaranteed money (and the Miami doctors wouldn't sign off on his shoulder).

Got ya thanks for that, couldn’t remember. I’d give you pie but I have so much out yesterday it won’t let me.

• Beer 1