• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Raiders fire their leadership

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, methodtoll said:

Any bets that Belichick gets fired in NE and McDaniels ends up as HC? 

ship has probably sailed, seems like jerod mayo is the next in line if they continue from his tree. But I bet mr rub and tug moves on entirely from the belichick tree and hires a young up and coming offensive mind

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

More info from the other firing today...

Haven't read all the details yet, but yhe story's being compared to the firing of Alan Williams earlier in the year, so apparently it's related to some kind of off-field situation.

Yeesh 😳

Sheeeeesh, WTF is going on behind the scenes in Chicago?

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Dave Ziegler, hired January 30th 2022...

Josh McDaniels, hired January 31st 2022

I've seen a couple of people talk about simultaneous hiring as if it were some kind of guarantee for success. 

It really isn't. McDaniels and Ziegler were hired together. Hell, they even had an extensive background of working together.

Hiring circumstances don't guarantee anything.

I didn't say it guarantees anything, only that it's a better practice overall and allows for fresh starts rather than having to deal with baggage and someone being the fall guy for collective choices. 

1 minute ago, t96 said:

ship has probably sailed, seems like jerod mayo is the next in line if they continue from his tree. But I bet mr rub and tug moves on entirely from the belichick tree and hires a young up and coming offensive mind

The Belichick coaching tree has Dutch Elm disease.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Just now, NAS said:

I didn't say it guarantees anything, only that it's a better practice overall and allows for fresh starts rather than having to deal with baggage and someone being the fall guy for collective choices. 

What's most important to me is the symbiosis.

If you have two guys who are independently good at their jobs but also work well together, that's the best path to success. Who hired who or when they got hired is really just incidental.

My preference has always been to hire a GM first and let that GM hire the head coach. That's the way it's generally done. But that's no guarantee either.

3 minutes ago, joemac said:

Sheeeeesh, WTF is going on behind the scenes in Chicago?

That's what I'm wondering too 😳

People are saying it doesn't look good for Ryan Poles, but assistant hiring is up to the head coach so it's really on Matt Eberflus If he's brought in a bunch of low character guys.

36 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

He can't even take advice on a haircut, I'm not holding out hope on his picking a HC or GM.

It has been a long, long, long time since the Raiders were the Raiders. There's no feel of the dangerous group of misfits and bad dudes anymore. Their fan base is scarier than the team.

(obligatory Marc Davis haircut gif)

Mark Davis Sport GIF by UFC

Speaking of which...

I hadn't seen this till now 😄

• Flames 2

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I feel like I'm living in a parallel universe. 

We won 7 games with f'in Steve Wilks, the much maligned Sam Darnold and PJ Walker last season.

How are expectations now "well it's a first year coach and a rookie QB (that we sold the f'in farm for), so be happy with getting your ass kicked every week"??!?!?!?

No kidding. The excuses for Reich and Fitt are ridiculous. Wilks did go 6-6 with the same folks and we were told by the coach that playoffs are expected. Fitt supposedly rebuilt the OL and offensive weapons and it seems like we have Thielen and nada, especially after giving Moore and CMC for barely nothing. Oh, but Rhule/Tepper made every decision for the poor guy even though the bad trades and drafting seem to look very similar before and after Rhule.

Heck, in 2020, Rhule as a rookie coach went 5-11 when we had Teddy and we were in a division with the SB winning Brady, 11-5 Brees led NO and Ryan was still in Atlanta. We also almost beat KC who lost to Brady in the SB and almost beat a 13-3 GB.

Now it’s Ok that Reich is 1-6 with a last second win over a rookie QB/rookie coach, an easy schedule and a division with Carr, Ridder and Mayfield?

• Beer 3

5 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

No kidding. The excuses for Reich and Fitt are ridiculous. Wilks did go 6-6 with the same folks and we were told by the coach that playoffs are expected. Fitt supposedly rebuilt the OL and offensive weapons and it seems like we have Thielen and nada, especially after giving Moore and CMC for barely nothing. Oh, but Rhule/Tepper made every decision for the poor guy even though the bad trades and drafting seem to look very similar before and after Rhule.

Heck, in 2020, Rhule as a rookie coach went 5-11 when we had Teddy and we were in a division with the SB winning Brady, 11-5 Brees led NO and Ryan was still in Atlanta. We also almost beat KC who lost to Brady in the SB and almost beat a 13-3 GB.

Now it’s Ok that Reich is 1-6 with a last second win over a rookie QB/rookie coach, an easy schedule and a division with Carr, Ridder and Mayfield?

Maybe........Rhule isn't that bad of a coach after all?

Nah, just kidding.  That guy fuging sucks. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, joemac said:

Maybe........Rhule isn't that bad of a coach after all?

Nah, just kidding.  That guy fuging sucks. 

I'd forgotten about the Colts thing.

Technically this was McDaniels' third head coaching opportunity. He just bailed on his second one 😄

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd forgotten about the Colts thing.

Technically this was McDaniels' third head coaching opportunity. He just bailed on his second one 😄

Isn't the story with the Colts/JM thing that Jim Irsay acted so weird around McDaniel and his wife, at their home, that they were like "nope".  Like Irsay went to the bathroom and stayed in there for like an hour or some poo lmao?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, joemac said:

Isn't the story with the Colts/JM thing that Jim Irsay acted so weird around McDaniel and his wife, at their home, that they were like "nope".  Like Irsay went to the bathroom and stayed in there for like an hour or some poo lmao?

That's the story told by McDaniels' wife.

Is it true? Don't know.

Is it believable? Well, we're talking about Jim Irsay, so... 😕

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2