• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question for the Burns pocket watchers...

CamWhoaaCam

1 minute ago, UnluckyforSome said:

It's a difficult balance to be certain. I think a pass rusher is a premium position. QB, LT and DE. If you have those set, you have a chance. Otherwise, it's a pretender. I think it gets down to a method of building the lines first, and then look at the other pieces. I'm not a gm, nor claim to be. Just my observations of what works usually in the NFL.

That's fair and I agree it's a premium position.

And if we had a legitimate way to get a true #1 WR while also signing Burns to a reasonable long term contract, then I'm fully on board.

But I just don't see that path, as per the thread I just started this evening, I think Burns is the only realistic asset to get us a true #1 WR for next season.

And if it's one or the other, I'm taking that WR for Bryce 100 times out 100, without hesitation or a second thought.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Wundrbread33 said:

It’s probably just the age we live in, and not winning…but I don’t recall a player as good as Burns being this poo on before by the fanbase. 

The pass rushing ability between him and the next edge on our roster is drastic, he’s a good dude, he gets better every year, causes no problems. He has elite edge size and length, and is still young and about to enter his prime. 

I’d love if he was also had DT like run stuffing ability, but it’s a hell of a lot easier finding run stuffers than pass rushers. Sure he misses some tackles, but that tackle he missed is often behind the line of scrimmage, and his penetration allows others tike to clean it up. 

He isn’t perfect. But damn he’s talented as fug and on an upward trajectory. 

I still always think this place is interesting to watch. If the Rams hadn’t offered up two firsts (which I am almost certain will be top 10) and pick 36, no one would be saying trade him. I loved the Burns pick and like him a lot but I’ve been wanting a good rookie QB since my tank for Trevor motion. I was 100% on trade Burns for weapons even though in a vacuum I’d want Burns on the team. There’s been so many decent edge rushers available in FA lately and drafted recently. I was sort of OK with the CMC trade but I would have rather kept him especially knowing how crappy the picks became with SF getting CMC and knowing that pick 61 (best pick for CMC) and Moore were basically throw ins for Young. Look at the Rams trade up from 15 to 1. I think we gave up more to go from 9 to 1 and it made it worse because we didn’t get near full value for CMC or More when they would have been great for Young. If Moore wasn’t un-tradeable, pick 15 from GB was way better value than making our 2025 1st become a 2025 2nd.

All I can really say is that Fitterer’s trades have been plain awful. The Jets got more value from us for Darnold than we got for CMC or Moore. Just sad. If we had done zero trades (besides Young) the past few years we’d be good as long as we didn’t throw in DJ. 

For those who don't now I will be 34 years old next month.

If you want to know more about me hit my DM I will gladly add you on my social media accounts. Maybe I can get one of you to work for me. I own a box truck company and im looking for a driver preferably in the Raleigh area. If interested hit my DM and maybe I can change your life.

No CDL's needed.

Back to football...

1 hour ago, Wundrbread33 said:

It’s probably just the age we live in, and not winning…but I don’t recall a player as good as Burns being this poo on before by the fanbase. 

The pass rushing ability between him and the next edge on our roster is drastic, he’s a good dude, he gets better every year, causes no problems. He has elite edge size and length, and is still young and about to enter his prime. 

I’d love if he was also had DT like run stuffing ability, but it’s a hell of a lot easier finding run stuffers than pass rushers. Sure he misses some tackles, but that tackle he missed is often behind the line of scrimmage, and his penetration allows others tike to clean it up. 

He isn’t perfect. But damn he’s talented as fug and on an upward trajectory. 

The year Peppers had something like 4 sacks, i think his last year here the 1st go around, there was plenty of it. He had no heart, no motor, didn't care, was overpaid, checked out, was never going to be the leader this team needed, wasn't any good, was a product of having good players around him, was a product of Fox's scheme, we can find someone else better, we could find someone else cheaper, speculation about how JR felt about writing out a game check of 1 million dollars for Peppers each week since he was playing on the tag. We let him walk for nothing, a true HOFer, and there were many of the fanbase not sad to see him go. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

We got the worst record in football. Make it make sense!

Dude, we have a rookie QB, a raw-ish rookie WR who may be the second best on the team, no WR1, RBs that seem to be best suited as backups (certainly no bell cows) or in a RBBC---no skill positions players that strike fear in the hearts of the opposition, no A-list or even B-list TE, a highly suspect O-line, a coach that thinks it's 1995, a newly constituted staff, a very young team, a GM that has made some highly suspect decisions, an impatient owner who really doesn't know what it takes to build a successful franchise or how long it takes, a DC that is managing players that may be ill-suited to his scheme or just inexperienced (or both), injuries galore, and not enough capital (real or draft) to fix some big holes by the 2024 season. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

This roster is bad, he's not holding up money for other players. The reason we traded for a rookie QB is so we can spend money! Guess who happens to be a top 2 arguably "the best" player on the team Brian Burns...

Most good players are overpaid. Burns plays arguably the 2nd most important position in football. Those guys get paid. He's not asking to be the highest paid defensive player. He's not even asking to be paid Bosa money. So I don't get why this fanbase is so concerned with our best player "arguably" getting paid. Of all the things wrong with this team it seems Brian Burns is the biggest concern at least for fans on The Huddle. I just don't understand why. Im just looking for answers from those people.

Why are you against Brian Burns getting paid?

Not reading 8 pages of responses, but I think most of us want him to get paid, but not Bosa or Watt money like he seems to want. 

He is clearly not at their level, yet he seems to want top DE pay. Stop with the ego poo and work out a deal (this goes for both sides). Burns deserves what his production is worth and no more. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, 33inNC said:

Not reading 8 pages of responses, but I think most of us want him to get paid, but not Bosa or Watt money like he seems to want. 

He is clearly not at their level, yet he seems to want top DE pay. Stop with the ego poo and work out a deal (this goes for both sides). Burns deserves what his production is worth and no more. 

And im saying pay him if that's the case. Not sure why people think he wants Bosa money.

• Beer 2

20 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

And im saying pay him if that's the case. Not sure why people think he wants Bosa money.

Because all reports were that he was looking for top pass rusher money

And if he wasn't looking for that, we'd have been able to get a deal done with him already

Combine the two and it's pretty easy to tell he's asking for that and more than we are willing to pay him.

2 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Burns being our best player actually probably hurts us right now more than it helps us.

Teams are able to formulate their entire offensive gameplan around Burns and taking him out of the game because they aren't afraid of the rest of our defense in the slightest.

No matter how elite a pass rusher is, unless you have other quality pass rushers to make the blocking scheme account for them and/or quality DB's to make the QB hold onto the ball longer, they are going to be minimized when they send double and triple teams at that pass rusher on every pass play.

In a vacuum I'd love to keep Burns long term, but when you factor in the contract situation and the state of the rest of the team, keeping him isn't the smart play for the long term success of the franchise, no other way around it at this point unfortunately. 

They don't have to game plan against Burns, that's the problem.

His sack on Sunday came when they assigned a RB to block him. A RB. That's beyond disrespectful and tells you what opposing OCs think of him.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

They don't have to game plan against Burns, that's the problem.

His sack on Sunday came when they assigned a RB to block him. A RB. That's beyond disrespectful and tells you what opposing OCs think of him.

Other coaches and players have talked about how they have to game plan specifically for him.

Sometimes they just screw up a play call or protection package, there is no way they went into the week saying, "we only need to put an RB on Burns most plays, that will do"

It feels like Burns get handled by a single tackle or just a TE most of the time. Majority of the time when he has a splash play it is either a missed assignment where he comes free or just a RB blocking him. I rarely see double teams assigned to him. Would love to see some stats as I might be completely wrong. Great guy, great leader, high motor etc. But I keep wanting more from him. I thought the 3-4 would unlock his potential, but he’s been just ok so far. Again, just my opinion.

Burns may be our best player but he doesn’t make impactful plays. Yes he gets sacks but when we need sacks he consistently is quiet. He has the stats but maybe he’ll develop to become a consistent disruption like what happened to Charles Johnson (dude became great after becoming “big money” before the patriots leg whipped him). Pay burns unless it interferes with our ability to pay Brown and Luvu down the road.