• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

car buying assitance?

panther4life

So i just resigned from my sales manager position at a local dealership here in charlotte to pursue something different. Crazy time to quit a job without having one, I know!! The hours i worked were soo demanding that if i didnt I never would have been able to escape. Long story short I have had this dream idea of starting my own car buying assistance service since i certainly know enough people in the industry locally to really cut the negotiations out of the whole process and ensure people the best price, for a small fee of course. Granted this small fee would pale in comparison to the savings I can provide people. I'm pretty well set on the idea of doing this for better or worse..I just wanted to hear some feedback on what you fellow huddlers think of this idea.... Thanks in advance for your opinions!

So i just resigned from my sales manager position at a local dealership here in charlotte to pursue something different. Crazy time to quit a job without having one, I know!! The hours i worked were soo demanding that if i didnt I never would have been able to escape. Long story short I have had this dream idea of starting my own car buying assistance service since i certainly know enough people in the industry locally to really cut the negotiations out of the whole process and ensure people the best price, for a small fee of course. Granted this small fee would pale in comparison to the savings I can provide people. I'm pretty well set on the idea of doing this for better or worse..I just wanted to hear some feedback on what you fellow huddlers think of this idea.... Thanks in advance for your opinions!

So you're setting up as a broker? If I wanted a car, I could tell you the make, year, color, etc. and you would do all the work and bring the car to me? Never thought of buying a car this way. Sounds good. As I get up in years I like having things the easy way. I wish you the best.

So you would basically hold their hand through the car buying process at a dealership? A lot of people would do this because they only buy a car every few years and it can be tiresome and time consuming. I have done this in the past for people and charged $300 for what is usually about a day's work from start to finish.

You'd probably have to talk to a bunch of people before someone would jump in and sign up.

I'd charge a set fee, say $300 or something like that for the service that would last until they got the car they wanted. Get the money upfront. Give examples of how much you could save them from your experience.

Problem is that many people are so picky, and rightfully so about the car they'll be driving for years. But that's bad for someone trying to do this because they place so many demands on the car they want it becomes nearly impossible to find. I'd encourage them to have an open mind, and be willing to give on some things for a better price and more selection.

when friends of mine who want me to help them buy a car start putting all these conditions and requirements on what they want I usually realize I don't have that kind of time and tell them that I don't think I can help them, stopping short of telling them they're too picky.

I doubt it'll work. I work with a guy who has worked in the dealer industry for decades since he was a teen. Knows everything, virtually knows everyone(locally). He recently figured out exactly what he wanted and went to dealerships that he personally knew, had worked for and had personal relationships with the salesmen. They still tried to 'sell' him. You can get what you want if you know what you're doing but the auto industry is truly dog eat dog.

AAA and Sams Club and probably a few other big places like that will do that as well. You tell them what you want, they'll find it, and even deliver it to you.

I'd pay for someone to do what you're talking about doing. I'd just as soon make a phone call and be done with it.

I had a guy that would do this for me at auctions. He then would take a car to his shop and do whatever work that was needed and we both go home happy.

The guy NEVER got me a bad car. I would give him an idea of what I wanted, he would call from the auction and bingo.

This was before cell phone cameras and the net to see in real time so I had to trust him.

During the 90's so not ancient history.

I don't think I would make this my bread and butter, but I would find a way to balance out being a broker with using some other expertise you have gained.

my lil sister worked for a place like that in Calgary for years....was extremely successful actually. She was amazed at some of the vehicles people would order and then just scratch a check for when it arrived....people have tooooo much money sometimes!

Truly where you could save a person the most money is buying it from an auction...if you go to the dealer and negotiate the best price, most of the time they got it at an auction and added $1500 to the price you get. If you could get to the auction then you could save your customers that $1500 markup.

New cars have little margin...it's easy to find out what a dealer pays for a new car. But a used car, the customer has no idea what the dealer paid for it or gave for an allowance on a trade-in....this is why dealers make a higher profit on used cars than new cars.

New cars have little margin...it's easy to find out what a dealer pays for a new car. But a used car, the customer has no idea what the dealer paid for it or gave for an allowance on a trade-in....this is why dealers make a higher profit on used cars than new cars.

Good information. I never thought of it like that.

Archived