• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Basketball 2023

beo

The 4th #1 seed was pretty much down to UNC, Tennessee, and Arizona. Tennessee is down 22 with 10 minutes to go.

It really doesn't matter how this plays out, Carolina and Arizona are gonna be in the same bracket. One the #1 and the other the #2. The selection committee LOVES storylines. They tried to setup matchups with KU for Roy's entire tenure.

22 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

img_1_1710461559806.thumb.jpg.6c0d36765fd2c2ed8b28bee1cc124737.jpg

It's true. College basketball popularity has fallen off so hard from when I was growing up in the '80s and '90s. College basketball RAN poo in NC back then. We would literally watch the ACC tournament IN CLASS. Carolina vs. duke days might as well have been a national holiday. 

There used to be a burger place near where I live that would bring a TV in, place it bear the grill so the cooks could watch, and play the tournament every year. Once the tournament was over, the TV would disappear for another year. Too bad that place closed down before the pandemic, they had good burgers.

• Pie 1

Another thing that has hurt interest in the ACC tournament was the ACC taking it out of NC. NYC and Washington DC don't have a thing to do with the conference, yet both have hosted the tournament because the conference wanted whatever checks they were offered.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

The refs have been stingy with the whistles in the tourney. Tends to lead to perceived sloppiness.

I have no problem with the refs letting teams play. I'm talking about shot selections and passing. There's been some head scratchers.

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

Another thing that has hurt interest in the ACC tournament was the ACC taking it out of NC. NYC and Washington DC don't have a thing to do with the conference, yet both have hosted the tournament because the conference wanted whatever checks they were offered.

1000%

The ACC tourney in Greensboro was an institution and made all the sense in the world with 4 ACC teams in NC as well as Clemson, UVA, and VT in easy driving distance. With Maryland no longer in the ACC having the tourney in DC makes no sense at all. Syracuse in an upstate NY team and NYC is a pro sports city. I get the appeal of having it in the Big Apple but in terms of people showing up it's not a great spot. Greensboro was the perfect spot.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

1000%

The ACC tourney in Greensboro was an institution and made all the sense in the world with 4 ACC teams in NC as well as Clemson, UVA, and VT in easy driving distance. With Maryland no longer in the ACC having the tourney in DC makes no sense at all. Syracuse in an upstate NY team and NYC is a pro sports city. I get the appeal of having it in the Big Apple but in terms of people showing up it's not a great spot. Greensboro was the perfect spot.

If the ACC had wanted the tournament in a bigger city, Charlotte was right down the road so to speak. The downside to Charlotte is that the current arena holds a couple thousand less people than Greensboro.