• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF: What's wrong with the Carolina Panthers offense?

TheSpecialJuan

16 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Remember those Mingo/TMJ hype threads in the off-season?

But, what's your point? TMJ looks to be traded and Mingo is a rookie. They're both really the same type of receiver, and there's nothing indicating to me that Mingo's not going to meet his potential with more experience. I believe that he can be a very adept possession receiver one day.

36 minutes ago, top dawg said:

But, what's your point? TMJ looks to be traded and Mingo is a rookie. They're both really the same type of receiver, and there's nothing indicating to me that Mingo's not going to meet his potential with more experience. I believe that he can be a very adept possession receiver one day.

He was a bad pick. Four WRs drafted in front of him and Quentin Johnston is the only underperformer. 

Jayden Reed on GB has been better. Rashee Rice has been better. Tank Dell has been better. Jalin Hyatt has been better. Josh Downs has been better. Michael Wilson has been better. 

And thats just through round 3. Right now it looks like we could have thrown a dart and at random drafted a WR who is performing better than him. There are only like 2 or 3 playing worse. And my point during the draft around him was that he was never very good to the point he should have gone in round 2. You couldn't get 1k yards as the top dog in Ole Miss's offense? Cmon. 

And TMJ is a bust so we have a recent history of swinging and missing on WRs we draft. The one good one we drafted and developed we traded away and hes on pace to have a career year in catches, yards, touchdowns despite not coming close to his career high in targets. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I think TMJ is basically done here. I doubt we will be able to trade him because he doesn't have any real trade value.

Mingo is a rookie. I am not sure I see much ceiling but at least he has room for growth. I just haven't really seen any evidence of that for TMJ.

13 hours ago, Varking said:

Lots of words to say our offense has been one of the worst in the NFL and outside of AT, nothing has been great. And y'all can sleep on him but AT has been great. Better than expected for a WR of his age. 

We average 5.5 yards per pass attempt as a team so far in 2023. The last time Carolina was that low was 2010 when we averaged 5.4 for the season. Clausen averaged 5.2 and Bryce is currently averaging 5.3. 

We have a new playcaller tomorrow and Bryce gets more and more experience under his belt each week. I am expecting a pretty good game from him in a game that should be close the entire way.

His average numbers are skewed so low because of his first 2 games which were historically conservative. Since then he’s much closer to league average with average yard per attempt, and he’s averaging over 200 yards a game. As the season goes on and he gets more comfortable I think his production will at least move towards the mean 

1 hour ago, Varking said:

He was a bad pick. Four WRs drafted in front of him and Quentin Johnston is the only underperformer. 

Jayden Reed on GB has been better. Rashee Rice has been better. Tank Dell has been better. Jalin Hyatt has been better. Josh Downs has been better. Michael Wilson has been better. 

And thats just through round 3. Right now it looks like we could have thrown a dart and at random drafted a WR who is performing better than him. There are only like 2 or 3 playing worse. And my point during the draft around him was that he was never very good to the point he should have gone in round 2. You couldn't get 1k yards as the top dog in Ole Miss's offense? Cmon. 

And TMJ is a bust so we have a recent history of swinging and missing on WRs we draft. The one good one we drafted and developed we traded away and hes on pace to have a career year in catches, yards, touchdowns despite not coming close to his career high in targets. 

Don't forget Puka Nacua (ROTY candidate)

Also Demario Douglas and Marvin Mims (fanboy here, really wanted this dude)

I recall hearing something about how we wouldn't need top end receivers We were going to have this dynamic, innovative, maestro magician playing qb like a hall of fame all-time NBA star point guard. We could maybe even invest a little less cash in wrs, since our super computer qb would be distributing that ball around so skillfully and quickly that defenses wouldn't know where it was coming from, and where it was going.

1 hour ago, Varking said:

I mean, you can say that this one or that one has been better, but there are just so many angles that have to be included within the context that I just have a hard time saying that this one "has been" better, and even if they have been we're only talking a few games at the beginning of their rookie years. The online ones that I would say have personally been markedly better are Josh Downs (who I'd have to get), Tank Dell, and Rashee Rice who has flashed. That being said, they've had more opportunity to flash as well, whether it be by situation (including play calling) or playing with QBs that are better prepared to play the game. Downs has markedly better numbers playing with Gardner Minshew, Rice is playing with Pat Mahomes, and Dell is playing with Stroud who is a great pure passer and is being coached very well--as well as the whole team. Our play calling has been somewhat uninspired and disjointed in pertains to the passing attack. Now, of course Mingo has played a part in that, but at the end of the day receivers don't develop at the same speed. And, ultimately, It's just too early to draw conclusions.

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, you can say that this one or that one has been better, but there are just so many angles that have to be included within the context that I just have a hard time saying that this one "has been" better, and even if they have been we're only talking a few games at the beginning of their rookie years. The online ones that I would say have personally been markedly better are Josh Downs (who I'd have to get), Tank Dell, and Rashee Rice who has flashed. That being said, they've had more opportunity to flash as well, whether it be by situation (including play calling) or playing with QBs that are better prepared to play the game. Downs has markedly better numbers playing with Gardner Minshew, Rice is playing with Pat Mahomes, and Dell is playing with Stroud who is a great pure passer and is being coached very well--as well as the whole team. Our play calling has been somewhat uninspired and disjointed in pertains to the passing attack. Now, of course Mingo has played a part in that, but at the end of the day receivers don't develop at the same speed. And, ultimately, It's just too early to draw conclusions.

He wasn’t even a 1k yard receiver in college though. He wasn’t a blazer or burner or anything like that. I’ve just always felt round 2 was too high for him. Other guys had higher ceilings if that’s what you were drafting. And other dudes had way better production and did better at the combine. I just didn’t view him where the Panthers did I guess and he’s not panned out and helped Bryce like we had hoped so far.