• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

upgrade or new pc?

Zod

So I still have not bought a new pc.

Not sure if its worth it.

I am thinking about just adding more ram, from 3 to 6 gigs and upgrading to windows 7 64 bit (currently xp 32 bit). I have a quad core phenom processor thats a couple years old

I am thinking for less than a couple hundred bucks this upgrade will get me through until the next gen processors drop in price a great deal or the bigger and better comes out.

Thoughts?>

from what i understand leaving the case open is counter-productive. If you want more cool get a water cooler.

It allows more air flow keeping the case open but it also increases the amount of dust that's collected. It's only bad if you don't clean out the dust (most people don't even if they leave the case closed). Water cooling is only necessary if you overclock, which is becoming a thing of the past.

It allows more air flow keeping the case open but it also increases the amount of dust that's collected. It's only bad if you don't clean out the dust (most people don't even if they leave the case closed). Water cooling is only necessary if you overclock, which is becoming a thing of the past.

right on. that makes sense. i'd heard varying things about airflow with cases opened and closed. i stopped building machines five years ago when i switched to Mac. Though I imagine water cooling is going to become more prevalent given we are beginning to stretch the limits of silicon as a chip. I know the power macs are watercooled, though i'm the first to admit they're a little overbuilt.

Provided you have a 64bit FSB upgrading your OS to actually take advantage of that is going to be the cheapest most effective thing you can do. You will be nearly doubling your throughput. I doubt you need more RAM, but if you still aren't happy after upgrading your OS then it won't hurt.

You can also overclock and buy a cooler.

Make sure your PSU is capable of dealing with anything else you add (like a smoking new video card).

What I did....

Bought a new SATA 2TB HDD

Added more RAM

Installed Win 7 on the new HDD, now it dual boots

Ran the Windows easy transfer on the Vista boot, had to change a couple of permissions so both OSes could read and write to the transfer file

Booted Win 7, ran the easy transfer and all my old settings and docs went right into my Win7 account in the same places they were before. Now I have my docs backed up on 2 local drives in addition to my quarterly offline storage backup.

I was going to run 64 bit Win7 but there is no 64 bit driver for my wireless card. 32 bit is working really great though, Win7 is much faster and more responsive than my Vista was.

Archived