• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

upgrade or new pc?

Zod

Well forget that.

Broke down and got a new toshiba laptop with an I7 processor and windows 7 64 bit. Runs lightroom and photoshop like a dream. Probably twice as fast as my desktop. Less than half the price of a macbook. I R Happy.

I refused to run vista, would always crash during my batch photo editing. So far I am thoroughly impressed with windows 7. Been really pushing it to its limits and not one hang up so far. Also installed it on my desktop last night and it was the easiest windows install I have ever done. It did everything out of the box, did not need to go hunt down any driver at all. I am back on board with microsoft at the moment.

My toshiba satellite runs circles around the macbook pro of our's.

Thats what i decided on. I7 cpu, 4 gigs ram, 500 gig hd. All for less than a grand. Apple wanted two grand for a slower intel core duo and smaller hard drive.

Thats what i decided on. I7 cpu, 4 gigs ram, 500 gig hd. All for less than a grand. Apple wanted two grand for a slower intel core duo and smaller hard drive.

Don't get hung up on the numbers. :nono:

I know nobody ever believes me on this board about the mac vs pc numbers game, but I'll always stand behind it. I'm not going to say model x is better than model y - all I can say is the cpu speed is often misleading.

Good choice, I'm due for an upgrade here soon anyways and I might just take the route you went.

Like I always say with Macs. You pay more and get less.

Don't get hung up on the numbers. :nono:

I know nobody ever believes me on this board about the mac vs pc numbers game, but I'll always stand behind it. I'm not going to say model x is better than model y - all I can say is the cpu speed is often misleading.

I realize there is some improvement in the Macs because they are able to engineer around a preset hardware configuration as far as speed goes. But honestly I tinkered around with both macbook pros at the apple store and this toshiba. When it comes to raw processing power while rendering a thousand photos in lightroom, there is only so much improvement software is going to get you. The rest is cpu.

In my profession having a pc is a bit taboo. People are shocked to see me working on them. The trendy thing for me is to go with mac just so people can see that apple on the back of the screen and know I am hip. I will just have to settle with getting my workflows done faster instead. ;)

I realize there is some improvement in the Macs because they are able to engineer around a preset hardware configuration as far as speed goes. But honestly I tinkered around with both macbook pros at the apple store and this toshiba. When it comes to raw processing power while rendering a thousand photos in lightroom, there is only so much improvement software is going to get you. The rest is cpu.

In my profession having a pc is a bit taboo. People are shocked to see me working on them. The trendy thing for me is to go with mac just so people can see that apple on the back of the screen and know I am hip. I will just have to settle with getting my workflows done faster instead. ;)

from what I understand the adobe suites are superior on pc anyway. though if you're looking for raw power you should just get a desktop.

If it works better for you in that regard, by all means stick with PC. I love my Mac, but seriously the most demanding thing I do on it is run boot camp to play PC games that are 3-5 years old lol. I have pretty low hardware requirements other than day to day operations.

Archived