• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Football Week 9 or also known as 'As the Harbrough Turns'

jayboogieman

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

NIL is fine with me. The kids should be able to profit. I've always thought the schools should have to commit to a four year scholarship as long as the kids stay academically eligible. I'd put the one year sit out rule back in place and make the schools commit to four year scholarships. I'd have some stipulations for waiving the sit out year like head coach or coordinator leaving, family circumstances, etc.

I actually have no problem with basically the idea of constant free agency. IMO, it makes the offseason more fun. Plus it values veteran players over HS guys.

I would never claim it is perfect but college football will always and forever be the most fuged up and unequal system in all of athletics. 

It has also single handedly ruined 100% of all other college sports, so I have no sympathy if it goes down the drain.

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The transfer portal has completely changed the landscape though. Now that guys don't have to sit out a year you have other programs actively recruiting your players. It's a mess. It'd be like if the NFL only had one year contracts and no salary cap. That's basically college football right now.

Honestly, I would be fine with that in the NFL too. 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The players wouldn't. No more huge guaranteed money to protect them from injury risk. That's why they hate getting tagged even though the tag pays them elite money for the one year.

Oh, I agree. I am just saying from a fan's perspective that would be pretty wild and fun. 

I would never want that for the players themselves. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Oh, I agree. I am just saying from a fan's perspective that would be pretty wild and fun. 

I would never want that for the players themselves. 

It's also completely ruin the sport. The competitiveness would be gone. A big part of what makes the NFL intriguing is that hard salary cap and no max contracts. Teams can't just wantonly load up like what happens in MLB, NBA, etc. Sure, there's salary cap trickery but every team can use the same tricks and it's still by far the most even playing field that exists in pro sports. It gives every fanbase hope that they can get their poo together and turn it around vs. the fans of teams in those other leagues that just have to accept that they're basically a feeder team for teams that actually compete and barring an absolute miracle they'll never be able to contend and even if they can that one time their team will get gutted by the other teams picking their players off.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's also completely ruin the sport. The competitiveness would be gone. A big part of what makes the NFL intriguing is that hard salary cap and no max contracts. Teams can't just wantonly load up like what happens in MLB, NBA, etc. Sure, there's salary cap trickery but every team can use the same tricks and it's still by far the most even playing field that exists in pro sports. It gives every fanbase hope that they can get their poo together and turn it around vs. the fans of teams in those other leagues that just have to accept that they're basically a feeder team for teams that actually compete and barring an absolute miracle they'll never be able to contend and even if they can that one time their team will get gutted by the other teams picking their players off.

Technically the NBA has a cap but they have a luxury tax too.

I hate the MLB but I will say that over time small market teams have found ways to be competitive in an inherent uncompetitive situation. 

I don't think it would ruin the NFL at all, it would just morph to something different.

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think it would ruin the NFL at all, it would just morph to something different.

I don't think you want to risk tampering with the golden goose. Right now the system gives every fanbase hope. Take away that hope and a lot of teams just become irrelevant. Hell, just look at the Panthers currently. The NFL hasn't taken away our hope but David Tepper sure has.

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think you want to risk tampering with the golden goose. Right now the system gives every fanbase hope. Take away that hope and a lot of teams just become irrelevant. Hell, just look at the Panthers currently. The NFL hasn't taken away our hope but David Tepper sure has.

In fairness, as a franchise with one of the richest owners, we could suddenly morph into a much different thing. There is no telling.

It won't happen in the near future. The NFL and owners are as staunchly anti-labor as exists in any professional sport.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

In fairness, as a franchise with one of the richest owners, we could suddenly morph into a much different thing. There is no telling.

It won't happen in the near future. The NFL and owners are as staunchly anti-labor as exists in any professional sport.

Being one of the richest owners isn't near as much of an advantage in the NFL.

Hell, pro athletes have it amazing in labor relations compared to the rest of the world. Sad as that might be it's reality.

The NFL has a 50/50 revenue split. For most companies it's in the 15-30% range.

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Being one of the richest owners isn't near as much of an advantage in the NFL.

Hell, pro athletes have it amazing in labor relations compared to the rest of the world. Sad as that might be it's reality.

The NFL has a 50/50 revenue split. For most companies it's in the 15-30% range.

NFL labor is weaker than the auto unions or many other organized labor unions. 

People easily get blinded by the money the athletes make but don't confuse that for what is a fair deal.