• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Most tortured fans

Matt Foley

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100129&sportCat=nfl

I say it's....

1. Vikings

2. Browns

3. Cubs

Cubs just aren't usually a threat to do anything. Vikes and Browns had so many chances....like having the third worst record in the NBA every year and NEVER getting the top pick. Baseball is more cruel than football, but man the Vikings have tortured their poor fans.

socialgroupicon_820_1234038991.gif

Over.

Actually, I'll explain.

1860 Munich is the oldest sports team (they play soccer, mainly, but do other things too) in Bayern, their big rivals are the much more successful Bayern Munich, a world famous superpower of a club -- even Bayern's chess team is good.

1860 has won the German league once, in 1966. Bayern has won it 21 times, and the German Cup 14 times, and the European Champions Cup/League 4 times. 1860 isn't even allowed to think about the Champions League, at all.

On more than one occasion, 1860 has nearly gone bankrupt and wound up playing in the second division. Recently in 2005, after they'd finished building the Allianz Arena -- which at the time they co-owned with Bayern -- they fell into the red again. Of course this meant they needed to balance the books desperately, so Bayern offered them some money in exchange for their 50% ownership of the stadium. The stadium is worth about half a billion dollars, Bayern got the other half of it for $18m. Now they rent the stadium from Bayern, and might actually have to move back to the concrete hell they moved from originally because of costs.

1860 is pretty much crap, but for some reason people from Munich tend to like them more than Bayern.

It's the Cubs or Vikings. There's no contest, maybe toss the Bills in there.

I put the Bills in there somewhere as well. 0-4 in the Super Bowl, despite being favorite all 4 times! (Anyone see the ESPN metal detector commercial with Adam Vinitari trying to go through with all his Super Bowl rings. Jim Kelly is standing behind him rolling his eyes!)

im not saying we are even in the top 10.....but ill make a case for younger dolphin fans like myself. i was born in the late 80s. i have not seen my team IN a superbowl let alone win one. and all i hear is "1972 we were undefeated......1973 we won the sb again"

marino taking the dolphins to the superbowl in 83 (my dads senior year of HS) and all that jazz.

but for us youngins......the best i have seen is us go to the afc dvisional playoff game....and we lost dan marinos last game to the jags like 62-10 or something.

i have gone through alot of bullshit. tons of coaches. ton of QBs since marino....and im not kidding. since 1999 here are the starting QBs of the miami dolphins....

ray lucas, damon huard, jay fielder, aj feely, gus frerrote, sage rosenfels, daunte culpepper, joey harrington, cleo lemon, trent green, john beck, chad pennington, chad henne........

thats fuging disgusting. i have lived through really good 11-5 years, only to have dreams smashed in the playoffs. 10-6 years and not even make the playoffs due to choking the last game of the season. i have seen head coaches like nick saban take over and give us a bright future....only to draft someone like jason allen #16 overall....and him become a total bust and a special teams ace making 8 million a year.

i have then seen a promising future with nick saban poo away when he randomly left everything behind and went to alabama....after lying repeatedly and saying he wasnt.

then i see cam cameron.....san diegos awesome offensive coordinator take over.....giving more hope. only to draft Ted ginn jr (a horrible soft WR and good KR).....9th overall passing on the likes of darell revis and patrick willis.....and then we go 1-15.....thats right. 1-15.

only to see cam cameron fired. and bill parcells take over.....hire tony sparano. we go 11-5, win the afc east (with tom brady out all year) and then get murdered by the ravens in the first round of the playoffs. then we come back. supposedly better. and go 7-9 and get the #12 overall pick.

its a cluster-fug of inconsistency and iam sick of it. i believe we are going the right direction. i trust tuna and sparano. i pray we get someone like rolando mcclain with the #12 pick or dez bryant, or earl thomas....but im not sure.

we shall see. the future looks bright. but it has before.....its fuging painful to be a dolphins fan.....especially when you didnt get to witness the glory years. all i saw was the bullshit.

you guys know we passed on randy moss to draft cecil collins (whos in prision) in the draft? do you guys know we passed on anquan boldin for eddie moore (whos not in the league) do you know we passed on drew brees for jamar fuging fletcher (whos not in the league) then we passed on drew brees AGAIN for daunte culpepper instead!!!!!!!!

i sometimes want to jump off a fuging cliff when i think about what i have lived through as a dolphins fan. maybe one day ill see us win one. until then. ill be happy with good individual players (jason taylor, zach thomas, ronnie brown) and hope for a great TEAM one day......

socialgroupicon_820_1234038991.gif

Over.

Actually, I'll explain.

1860 Munich is the oldest sports team (they play soccer, mainly, but do other things too) in Bayern, their big rivals are the much more successful Bayern Munich, a world famous superpower of a club -- even Bayern's chess team is good.

1860 has won the German league once, in 1966. Bayern has won it 21 times, and the German Cup 14 times, and the European Champions Cup/League 4 times. 1860 isn't even allowed to think about the Champions League, at all.

On more than one occasion, 1860 has nearly gone bankrupt and wound up playing in the second division. Recently in 2005, after they'd finished building the Allianz Arena -- which at the time they co-owned with Bayern -- they fell into the red again. Of course this meant they needed to balance the books desperately, so Bayern offered them some money in exchange for their 50% ownership of the stadium. The stadium is worth about half a billion dollars, Bayern got the other half of it for $18m. Now they rent the stadium from Bayern, and might actually have to move back to the concrete hell they moved from originally because of costs.

1860 is pretty much crap, but for some reason people from Munich tend to like them more than Bayern.

First find out about that back when I lived in europe.. crazy poo.

im not saying we are even in the top 10.....but ill make a case for younger dolphin fans like myself. i was born in the late 80s. i have not seen my team IN a superbowl let alone win one. and all i hear is "1972 we were undefeated......1973 we won the sb again"

marino taking the dolphins to the superbowl in 83 (my dads senior year of HS) and all that jazz.

but for us youngins......the best i have seen is us go to the afc dvisional playoff game....and we lost dan marinos last game to the jags like 62-10 or something.

i have gone through alot of bullpoo. tons of coaches. ton of QBs since marino....and im not kidding. since 1999 here are the starting QBs of the miami dolphins....

ray lucas, damon huard, jay fielder, aj feely, gus frerrote, sage rosenfels, daunte culpepper, joey harrington, cleo lemon, trent green, john beck, chad pennington, chad henne........

thats fuging disgusting. i have lived through really good 11-5 years, only to have dreams smashed in the playoffs. 10-6 years and not even make the playoffs due to choking the last game of the season. i have seen head coaches like nick saban take over and give us a bright future....only to draft someone like jason allen #16 overall....and him become a total bust and a special teams ace making 8 million a year.

i have then seen a promising future with nick saban poo away when he randomly left everything behind and went to alabama....after lying repeatedly and saying he wasnt.

then i see cam cameron.....san diegos awesome offensive coordinator take over.....giving more hope. only to draft Ted ginn jr (a horrible soft WR and good KR).....9th overall passing on the likes of darell revis and patrick willis.....and then we go 1-15.....thats right. 1-15.

only to see cam cameron fired. and bill parcells take over.....hire tony sparano. we go 11-5, win the afc east (with tom brady out all year) and then get murdered by the ravens in the first round of the playoffs. then we come back. supposedly better. and go 7-9 and get the #12 overall pick.

its a cluster-fug of inconsistency and iam sick of it. i believe we are going the right direction. i trust tuna and sparano. i pray we get someone like rolando mcclain with the #12 pick or dez bryant, or earl thomas....but im not sure.

we shall see. the future looks bright. but it has before.....its fuging painful to be a dolphins fan.....especially when you didnt get to witness the glory years. all i saw was the bullpoo.

you guys know we passed on randy moss to draft cecil collins (whos in prision) in the draft? do you guys know we passed on anquan boldin for eddie moore (whos not in the league) do you know we passed on drew brees for jamar fuging fletcher (whos not in the league) then we passed on drew brees AGAIN for daunte culpepper instead!!!!!!!!

i sometimes want to jump off a fuging cliff when i think about what i have lived through as a dolphins fan. maybe one day ill see us win one. until then. ill be happy with good individual players (jason taylor, zach thomas, ronnie brown) and hope for a great TEAM one day......

oh and i forgot brian griese........

My Rams were pretty bad until Martz came along. Vermeil was the head coach, but Martz was the difference maker. Here were the Rams multitude of sins....

1969: Started 11-0, finished 11-3, loses to Minnesota in playoffs

1973: Team finishes 12-2, yet has to play AT 10-4 Dallas in first round and loses (Division that produced wild card hosted in those days)

1974: Team loses NFCG 14-10 at Minnesota, getting seven holding penalties to just two...all calls made by same referee

1975: Team hosts NFCG, loses 37-7 to wildcard Dallas

1976: Team loses NFCG to Minnesota

1977: Team finally hosts Minnesota, rare downpour in LA takes away their passing game, team loses 14-7

1978: Team fires Chuck Knox and under Ray Malavasi host NFCG again, lose 28-0 to Dallas with a still-record seven turnovers

1979: Team finally makes Super Bowl....leads 19-17 going into fourth Q, loses 31-19 as Steelers hit two deep passes and Ferragamo throws first pick

1980: Rams beat Dallas 38-14 on Monday Night Football, lose AT Dallas 34-13 two weeks later in first round

1985: Team starts off 7-0, runs into Chicago buzzsaw in NFCG

1989: Team makes NFCG, Jim Everett phantom sack leads to 30-3 loss at SF

1990-1998: Unprecedented suckitude

1999: Team dominates all year long, blows out Minnesota in first round (though Jeff George still holds record for passing yards in that game), then needs Ricky Proehl and questionable call to escape Bucs in NFCG and hold on by skin of teeth to win SB.

2000: Team starts 6-0, Warner gets hurt, team loses twice to lowly Panthers in finishing 10-6. In wild card game at New Orleans, Rams make a remarkable comeback in fourth quarter, pulling to within one score and forcing a punt. If they get the ball back they are going to put New Orleans in NFL history as the greatest fourth quarter collapse ever. Az Hakim fumbles the punt, though, and Rams never get ball back.

2001: Patriots steal Super Bowl from Rams. They secretly tape Rams practices, and hold the Rams receivers all game long (they admitted both of these). Still need a bad call on final drive to win, 20-17. Brady had a blatant intentional grounding...not called.

2003: X-Clown.

2005-present: See 1990-1998

And until 2002, the Angels were my cross to bear. Check this out...

1978: Competing for AL West title, outfielder Lyman Bostock is shot in a cab while team plays in Chicago. Team fades after that.

1979: Angels win first division title, but blow ninth inning leads in first two games versus Baltimore and lose series, 3-1.

1982: Win AL West title, become first team to blow a 2-0 lead in ALCS to Milwaukee

1986: Team is one strike away from first World Series, leading 3-1 over Red Sox and 5-2 in Game Five. Donnie Moore....I can't go on. We lose Games Five, Six and Seven

1991: Angels have best record in baseball by 2.5 games at All-Star break, lose out to Oakland.

1995: Team is setting the all-time record for runs scored. Leadoff hitter gets picked up for buying drugs, everything falls apart. Team blows 10.5 game lead in late August. Manages to force playoff by winning last four games, and get to face Randy Johnson. Loss. One of greatest MLB collapses ever.

1997 and 98: Team blows two more division leads in September to Texas.

2002: Everything comes together, Angels have remarkable regular and postseason and win only Series.

2005: Because of scheduling quirk, team has to play at New York, at Anaheim and at Chicago on consecutive days in playoffs. Team somehow wins Game Five versus Yanks and Game One versus ChiSox, but they are tied in the bottom of the ninth in Game Two when Doug Edinger makes the worst call by a home plate umpire in playoff history. Gives the out signal as Angels catcher catches third strike, then clams up as batter runs to first as Angels are coming off field. Claims that was his "strike three mechanic" and that catcher dropped third strike, which he didn't. That runner scores and Angels don't win another game.

1986, 2004, 2007, 2008: Team loses 12 consecutive postseason games to the Red Sox, a major league record. Team finally breaks through in 08 and has go-ahead runner on third in ninth of Game Four, but Scioscia tries a suicide squeeze with the Angels version of Chris Gamble...Erick Aybar batting...he whiffs. Red Sox plate game winner in bottom of inning.

2009: Nick Adenhart, team's top prospect, dies after pitching six shutout innings against Oakland. Team ends up losing to Yankees in ALCS. Yankees had pirated away first baseman Mark Teixeira before season, and beat out Angels for CC Sabathia's services.

Someones trying to tell you something.

That's what I used to think, but Kentucky won it all in 96 and 98, the Rams won the Super Bowl in January 2000 and the Angels won in 2002. Four rings in seven years. According to Simmons, I'm out of the tortured fan business forever.

Archived