• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Netflix

Jeff L

I second this! I have had it for almost 4 years. 2 movies were lost in the mail and they sent me out replacements ASAP. Both lost movies showed up the same day as the replacements did. You can also watch some movies over the computer, free!

I also have CinemaNow, but you have to pay to watch a movie. About equal to a movie ticket for a just released DVD movie.

Netflix is the way to go.

I just read this on MSN:

DVDs

The days of going to a video store to rent a movie are near an end. Blockbuster has said it plans to close more than a fifth of its stores by the end of 2010. (The company didn't return calls for comment.)

Looking ahead, DVD purchases could turn cold as well. An average DVD sells for around $20. That's pricier than signing up for Netflix or renting movies from cable providers' on-demand channels. Netflix charges as little as $8.99 a month to rent one DVD at a time -- with no limit to the number of monthly rentals.

Time Warner Cable offers thousands of movies on demand for around $4.99 each. Verizon cable service charges $5.99 a month to download unlimited movies.

It is all going to be steaming pretty soon. That's why Blockbuster is close to bankruptcy.

If you have kids you might have an xbox? You can rent regular DVD through the mail and you can stream movies from your xbox. But the xbox slelection isn't all that great. But I've found some hidden gems in there. But if you want to really stream movies through Netflix look into getting a Roku player. It is only $99.

you can stream netflix through a 360 or a ps3 as well.

i tried it for a few months, and that was it. there's some good stuff, but my complaint is that new releases take a while. i did watch a lot of HBO/showtime series with it, but once I finished off Weeds I canceled the service.

its also just me and the wife. no kids.

works well on my XBOX, although my dopey DSL connection is kind of slow which affects the quality - but we've learned to use it for the kids quiet time since they get to pick from a lot of kids movies.

I don't have a lot of down time, but if I am alone in the house and in the mood, there are lots of older geek movies that I can pick from - A Boy and His Dog was one I wanted to see the whole way through and was right there one day.

Archived