• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

January 28, 1986

Jangler

Today, in 1986, the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded just seconds after lift-off. All seven crew members were killed.

spaceshuttlechallengercrew.jpg

“ We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and 'slipped the surly bonds of Earth' to 'touch the face of God.' ”

“ Sometimes, when we reach for the stars, we fall short. But we must pick ourselves up again and press on despite the pain. ”

I was on my sub in the middle of nowhere. The radioman on duty got the wire in and told me first because he knew I was such a space fan (we were at Port Canaveral the summer before). I thought he was just trying to start a stupid patrol rumor till the Captain came on the 1MC as I was lying in bed and told us. Sitting in a giant piece of technology surrounded by a hostile environment while surrounded by all kinds of nuclear stuff also built by the lowest bidder makes you think.

At least those guys died doing a dangerous thing that they accepted the risk of doing. The poor guys of Apollo 1 died on the pad doing a dumb test.

they actually asphyxiated - their suits protected them from a lot of the heat but the fire sucked up the O2 very quickly. Pressurized, pure O2 environment and a small spark against something that would never burn in normal atmosphere. No one had thought of this, as in space the pressure is quite low but for the test they had to have internal pressure to ensure nothing was entering the craft.

they actually asphyxiated - their suits protected them from a lot of the heat but the fire sucked up the O2 very quickly. Pressurized, pure O2 environment and a small spark against something that would never burn in normal atmosphere. No one had thought of this, as in space the pressure is quite low but for the test they had to have internal pressure to ensure nothing was entering the craft.

I think asphyxiated is > "you and your ilk"

I was on my sub in the middle of nowhere. The radioman on duty got the wire in and told me first because he knew I was such a space fan (we were at Port Canaveral the summer before). I thought he was just trying to start a stupid patrol rumor till the Captain came on the 1MC as I was lying in bed and told us. Sitting in a giant piece of technology surrounded by a hostile environment while surrounded by all kinds of nuclear stuff also built by the lowest bidder makes you think.

At least those guys died doing a dangerous thing that they accepted the risk of doing. The poor guys of Apollo 1 died on the pad doing a dumb test.

Damn, I just realized something. You are old. :D

At home from school that day. VIVIDLY remember the news flash about this.Stunned.

The artist for the Charlotte Observer did one of the best newspapers cartoons I have ever seen about this. Had the Eagle looking into space with tears.

Doug Marlette I think. He also did Kudzu. Very talented guy.

didn't know that.

Archived