• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

your favorite watering hole

Hawk

well....the proper side of Canada in which I reside, we speak an English which is so close to the English you speak at home that it shouldn't be a problem, save your money for cigarettes.

This isn't something I have just thought of from time to time, it's something I have pretty much wanted to do ever since I drank my highschool marks into the toilet and knew I wasn't going to go to college. My wife has worked many years in the service industry and would do a fantastic job running the place and I have another couple who would be interested as well...and he's a chef and she's a public hospitality major!

Well I quite smoking a couple of years ago so I will just save my money for something else then.

I have always wanted the bar thing also, my mom in fact recently showed me the business cards me and a friend made up for our dream bar when we were in junior high (yes, she saves everyything). It was call "Ken and Yaeg's Surf and Suds"......was going to be a bar on a cliff in California with a elevator of sorts to bring you down to the beach to surf. *sigh*

I say do it if you can bro.......you only live once.....no regerets.

a co worker of mine up in Indy went in with 2 other guys to realize their dream, a Colts themed sports bar.

I've been there and it's pretty great. But the other guys were doing some shoddy bookkeeping, so he asked for and was subsequently bought out, but they still used his name on loan requests, so now he's suing them - his long time football buddies. This taught me a lot about dreams vs. reality...

Another true story: my next door neighbor growing up opened a pizza pub up north with his brothers, and for a while it was the greatest thing ever, different hot waitresses turned girlfriends, the booze and drugs were plentiful, until they started struggling a bit and he could not cut back. Brothers cut him loose, he finally got cleaned up and sober, and now is happily married and driving a UPS truck and says he's a lot better off.

Where exactly in C land do you reside?

I currently live just outside of Edmonton, Alberta....go to Montana and then head straight north for about 6 hours to get to my house!!!

I say do it if you can bro.......you only live once.....no regerets.

It's been on my mind alot and if I could find the ideal place right now, I'd have a hard time saying no. My oldest is pretty much all set up and wanting to move out on her own this spring so it's just me and momma and the little one. Hard to walk away from our jobs and the security and all that though too...and ya, I know...there's more to life than money, but money sure makes life alot more fun!

lol...I live about 1000 miles from the nearest ocean....would make for one bitch of a commute! ya, it gets cold here, can't deny that, but we have no other severe weather...no hurricanes, no earthquakes, tornados, killer bees, snakes blah blah blah!

If I do this, west...west and south....closer to the border and closer to the pacific

Vancouver is fantastic...the whole world will get to see that here soon. My area is pretty dry, so not too many skeeters...now where I used to live, all in the muskeg and poo....they used to sell skeeter fir coats!

Was just looking at it on Google maps... lots of lakes up that way... well, west of Edmonton anyway. Pretty country I'm sure.

the people are first. I prefer middle class real down to earth hard working types. environment is next, i personally dont like new expensive bars with all sort of high priced fluff. alittle run down, wore down bar stools and a foot rest is a MUST. Low lights, good bathrooms near by.hot female staff is also a plus. No males, just real women.

How I am treated plays a role too. I have a high tolerance for booze and i know my limits. I dont like no one telling me, I had enough. Plus they let me drink form pitchers and serve me one if i drink alone. I use to joke around and say i had a invisible midget friend "Bob", just so they'd serve me a pitcher. F the A-L-E. plus I hate giving my credit card. I know douchers skip out on paying, thats not me. Just feels wrong, trust-issues.

Prices too, having a high tolerance is expensive. I'll drink near anything, tequilla is my devil, so i try to stay away. Dark beer and whiskey specials will keep me happy. Plus free drinks, I tip well, run a high bill, gimmie some free booze. sometimes times i have a wink-wink agreement, what free drinks cost = your tip or close to.

women ratio, got to have the ladies. that one of the secrets to bar success. Everybody wins where there are ladies. Happier people, high tabs, fuller house next day/weeks, word of mouth, "Brah, you need to goto Hogs on Thursday" etc.

cliff notes- needs to feel like home. good example: letting me have the remote with my own TV.

Archived