• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Bryce Young throw deep?

Loyalty4Life

12 hours ago, thebdawg said:

Genuine, serious question how was Brees stat padding?  I just remember him torching us many a time. Those 2010’s saints teams ran into some dogs in the playoffs, and got screwed out of a Super Bowl appearance in 2018

I mean, there are several different versions of Brees (like any player).  The last version we saw was a noodle arm that couldn't go downfield.   But that was last leg Brees. 

Overall, Brees wasn't actually a conversative check down QB.  He would be risky with the ball downfield.  All good QBs are willing to be. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

That's fair.

It's crazy when you look at active QBs with a Super Bowl Ring.  Russ (sucks now), Stafford (getting old), Mahomes (only one with multiple), Foles (backup or worse), and Rodgers (one year left?).  It's a tough measuring stick for sure.  Brady and Mahomes are hogging them. 

• Beer 1

10 hours ago, bandu said:

it's not the size of the field it's the speed of the game & you beat speed with arm strength which produces more velocity on the ball & less time in the air.so with that said the issue becomes not how far you can throw the ball but more importantly how long does it take for the ball to reach it's target ? because of course the longer it takes the ball  to reach it's target then the easier it becomes  for the defender to get a read on the ball & berak up the pass  or even intercept the ball...just sayng..

I agree, but are we really going to act like Bryce doesn't have ample velocity on his throws? He has zipped the ball in a few times, including last game where he zipped one to Hurst. 

From my perspective Bryce's problems stem from learning the speed of the game, lack of adequate protection and inept play calling. I think that he's gradually learning the speed of the game, as is evidenced by baby steps in improvement from one game to the next. Hopefully the line will gel and Brown will call plays that play not only to Young's strengths, but his supporting cast's. 

Edited by top dawg

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

I agree, but are we really going to act like Bryce doesn't have ample velocity on his throws? He has zipped the ball in a few times, including last game where he zipped one to Hurst. 

From my perspective Bryce's problems stem from learning the speed of the game, lack of adequate protection and inept play calling. I think that he's gradually learning the speed of the game, as is evidenced by baby steps in improvement from one game to the next. Hopefully the line will gel and Brown will call plays that play not only to Young's strengths, but his supporting cast's. 

These are the biggest things I have skepticism over, definitely valid questions that some people are feeling like, have yet to be answered to their satisfaction. So they can look at this situation with less concern.

And maybe give them some positivity to keep them warm while watching yet another game where again he does not exhibit evidence that simply having a fast processor is all that is needed. That processor, may not have enough RAM or fast enough hard drive to take advantage of it, but it didn’t seem like the vast majority of fans wanted to focus on any possible negative. 

This playcaller thing.. I don’t know that simply changing who decides what the play will be makes any player execute better, including QB. Brown had a large hand, we are told, in designing and writing the playbook.  Which apparently people don’t like. Maybe Brown had a pocketful of great plays that were rejected by old fossil Reich and now he gets to put them in? What is it that he will do so differently? 

The only major thing I see that they could do differently is try and stretch the field. I don’t know the reason it is not being done but I have a real hard time turning Reich into some type of idiot the way people are doing. (And I am NOT happy with him much, don’t misinterpret). I think he has a pretty good reason for the way we have been proceeding. I just don’t know what it is and could guess but that does nothing. 

In a related possible scenario.. odds were always better that the team, with so much 1st time everything, was going to be a work in progress. Really almost like an expansion team, so much is new and untried. So it stands to reason that there will be improvement as the year progresses because that is about the only direction they Can go. 

Meaning that if Brown has a little better success, it isn’t necessarily going to be because of him, it was sort of an expectation that  regardless of who called the play it would be better executed to some degree later in the season. So, grain of salt with crediting the results.

If he has some kind of massive success where everything we see is all of a sudden better? I would think you have to look into why with a little different mindset but I don’t expect that and I haven’t seen reason to believe we should expect it. But so many seem to do just that. 

Edited by stratocatter

4 hours ago, stratocatter said:

These are the biggest things I have skepticism over, definitely valid questions that some people are feeling like, have yet to be answered to their satisfaction. So they can look at this situation with less concern.

And maybe give them some positivity to keep them warm while watching yet another game where again he does not exhibit evidence that simply having a fast processor is all that is needed. That processor, may not have enough RAM or fast enough hard drive to take advantage of it, but it didn’t seem like the vast majority of fans wanted to focus on any possible negative. 

This playcaller thing.. I don’t know that simply changing who decides what the play will be makes any player execute better, including QB. Brown had a large hand, we are told, in designing and writing the playbook.  Which apparently people don’t like. Maybe Brown had a pocketful of great plays that were rejected by old fossil Reich and now he gets to put them in? What is it that he will do so differently? 

The only major thing I see that they could do differently is try and stretch the field. I don’t know the reason it is not being done but I have a real hard time turning Reich into some type of idiot the way people are doing. (And I am NOT happy with him much, don’t misinterpret). I think he has a pretty good reason for the way we have been proceeding. I just don’t know what it is and could guess but that does nothing. 

In a related possible scenario.. odds were always better that the team, with so much 1st time everything, was going to be a work in progress. Really almost like an expansion team, so much is new and untried. So it stands to reason that there will be improvement as the year progresses because that is about the only direction they Can go. 

Meaning that if Brown has a little better success, it isn’t necessarily going to be because of him, it was sort of an expectation that  regardless of who called the play it would be better executed to some degree later in the season. So, grain of salt with crediting the results.

If he has some kind of massive success where everything we see is all of a sudden better? I would think you have to look into why with a little different mindset but I don’t expect that and I haven’t seen reason to believe we should expect it. But so many seem to do just that. 

Good points, and food for thought.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but when you run in the pile, run in the pile, then throw a screen, it's not too difficult for the other team to figure you out. If you don't take shots down the field, that just compresses the field because the defense doesn't have to worry about players getting behind them. 

Also, I realize that Brown helped develop the playbook, but it has not been fully opened for Bryce. @WUnderhill pointed out in another thread that Dalton asked Reich to make sure that he had more deep balls when they were installing the plan of attack against the Seahawks. Dalton would have never done that if the playbook had been wide open. Moreover, just because Brown helped to design the playbook doesn't mean that the plays that Reich chose to use were being used effectively. Play calling is such a chess game and plays should be strategic and deployed at the right time to have the greatest effect and bring about the desired results. One of my big problems with Reich is that I just don't think that he knows how to counter on the fly. Situationally, he just doesn't seem to know what he's doing with the plays or the personnel. Admittedly, he has probably jaundiced my opinion of his play calling this season, but there is something about "putting players into a position to succeed" that rings true in coaching, otherwise NFL types wouldn't say it.

Again, just so you know I'm not trying to be dismissive, I thought your points are good and something to consider.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, top dawg said:

His velocity has been better the past 2 weeks but man does he have to labor to get the speed on it. It's not encouraging.

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Hes gotta roll out and plant to throw. Dude don't plan he leaps

I have been looking for that leap. Point it out please.

What I saw in a very quick roll through a condensed Miami game is something related to getting his feet lined up, like if I remember without checking it is he turns to drop, but when he throws he does do some sort of quick thing and presto he is facing downfield. It does sort of look like he leaves his feet for a moment but I am not seeing that as part of his motion.

That is btw one thing I remember about Stroud, they were saying he had the most in-synch footwork setting/re-setting in direction of his target. I am not that technical but I can see things. But often don’t know how to articulate what I see.

Some of these things like hitches in a swing or motion, the athlete isn’t conscious of doing. So it is hard as hell to change. Footwork is probably the same deal. Good that he has his straight. Always a thing with Cam.