• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Bryce Young throw deep?

Loyalty4Life

There are 100s of college players every year that did it in college effectively that watch their career end there. Just because you did it then, doesn't mean you can do it now. 

The premium, not elite, guys he competed against in college are now JAG on NFL teams if they made them at all. Most of the defenders can't make an NFL practice squad. He also played behind one of the best olines in college. The margin for difference and the NFL is much smaller. 

That's not saying BY can or cannot throw the deep ball effectively. JaMarcus Russell could throw 70 yards. He couldn't do it accurately in the NFL. 

Time will tell if BY can throw an accurate deep ball. To this point in time, he has not done that effectively. Whether that's play calling, clean pocket, open receivers, not being able to see over linemen, whatever, it's not being done yet. 

I don't give a poo about whether he has the physical ability to throw 50 yards. High school QBs can do that. I only care about can he do it at the NFL level against NFL defenses with consistency and we don't have that answer yet. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

There are 100s of college players every year that did it in college effectively that watch their career end there. Just because you did it then, doesn't mean you can do it now. 

The premium, not elite, guys he competed against in college are now JAG on NFL teams if they made them at all. Most of the defenders can't make an NFL practice squad. He also played behind one of the best olines in college. The margin for difference and the NFL is much smaller. 

That's not saying BY can or cannot throw the deep ball effectively. JaMarcus Russell could throw 70 yards. He couldn't do it accurately in the NFL. 

Time will tell if BY can throw an accurate deep ball. To this point in time, he has not done that effectively. Whether that's play calling, clean pocket, open receivers, not being able to see over linemen, whatever, it's not being done yet. 

I don't give a poo about whether he has the physical ability to throw 50 yards. High school QBs can do that. I only care about can he do it at the NFL level against NFL defenses with consistency and we don't have that answer yet. 

Take your pie.

I don’t see anyone considering that he needs a runway to launch a deep ball. Running start with a last second little skip that loads him up to throw. Pro day. Once I identified that, I had seen enough. No reason to keep looking. His size may factor but wasn’t the primary consideration. It is his arm and athleticism that I was skeptical about and with the stakes that high, you just don’t play with fire. 

I do not understand why pointing this out = hate towards Bryce Young the person. It doesn’t. It could be called hate for the decision makers, yep, but really it is total disdain for their reasoning. A refusal to see negatives because they are too desperate and don’t want to think they should probably wait on selecting their franchise QB. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Beer 1

15 hours ago, Loyalty4Life said:

Then at least give me a link.  Can you do that.  I've asked Google.  I've asked Bing.  I even asked Santa Claus.

Tell me why he doesn't have the ability to throw deep.  Tell me why he has only attempted 1 pass over 30 yards.  That's why I can't show you him doing in the NFL.  He's has barely attempted it. 

WHY!!!!!!!

He has pass one over 54 yards in college from the pocket.

17 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Some of you Bryce supporters are posting some of the worst examples of him throwing deep 

You're not lying.  The first video, pro day Bryce doesn't even connect on the one deep pass at 1:31.  The ball is overthrown, receiver tries to stretch out for it but can only get fingertips on it.  Analyst calls it a dime, lmao, that dude is on the payroll.  I mean c'mon, you miss your only pro day deep shot long without a defense on the field?  How many times was that practiced in an empty gym?

Second video, our dude says 45 yards with ease.  LMAO.  The ball is snapped from the 6 yard line and caught at the 40 yard line which is a 34 yard completion.  Our OP wants to rewrite the rules of passing charts to include the yardage of Bryce's drop back instead where it's snapped from.  I'm sure our white knight OP will be like, but dude it was over 45 in the physical air, like you morons can't tell the difference between physical distance and charted distance???  NVM that logic would move the sliding scale for all quarterbacks and the relative distance between Bryce and normal would be the same. It's all quite hilarious.

Edited by Newtcase
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

The ball he throws to Isiah Bond for 30 against Tennessee in the 1st quarter is a gorgeous throw. Not sure what everyone’s definition of “deep” is but it’s a really nice throw

Personally I'd consider anything beyond 20 yards from the line of scrimmage as a deep shot.

7 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

https://x.com/cover3dynasty/status/1581374740404768768?s=46&t=W75E23VenL1ei42iX22E5g

Then this is a good example. 3 step drop and ball is out. 

Cool, read the thread.  He isn't at Alabama anymore, he's in the NFL.  One defensive player from Tennessee in that clip is in the NFL.  College tape gets you drafted, NFL tape keeps you in the league.  Where's the NFL tape?  I'll wait.....and all I'll see is apologies, excuses and more Alabama bullshit because he isn't performing in the NFL to this point.

20 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

Cool, read the thread.  He isn't at Alabama anymore, he's in the NFL.  One defensive player from Tennessee in that clip is in the NFL.  College tape gets you drafted, NFL tape keeps you in the league.  Where's the NFL tape?  I'll wait.....and all I'll see is apologies, excuses and more Alabama bullshit because he isn't performing in the NFL to this point.

lol good lord. This reads likes a child wrote it 

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

And by this definition the ball he threw to Mingo in week 2 went over 20 yards from the LOS. So…

Yeah I can't make you have reasonable evaluations.  Bryce has completed 2 passes beyond 20 yards in five games.  That information is well established.