• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Need your brutally honest opinions.

pstall

Although obvious, the first thing to ask yourself is "why should I consider starting a blog?" If it's just to have an outlet on a variety of subjects, then I don't think a blog is necessary or what you need. There are other, more appropriate outlets (like the tinderbox, the lounge, etc). Blogging should be focused and serve a purpose.

If the blog complements your career then go for it ONLY if you can remain committed to it and updating it frequently. A rarely updated blog is worse than no blog.

If it's focused on a specific interest that is unrelated to your primary career then go for it. I'd look for a web-based community that's related to this interest and start the blog there if possible. Just find the appropriate place where you'll get others with similar interests reading your blog...where you can get some discussion going.

I contribute to a blog at work and write every once every two weeks. This is perfect for me. It gives me an outlet to write about things related to my career and my primary interest, but there's also not a heavy time requirement in terms of frequency. If I was operating one on my own it would never work. When I write, I usually have more than a paragraph of thoughts. A blog entry for me takes time and is something that I might spend a few hours working on. Again, this is tied to my employer, so these are different circumstances.

If you're looking for discussion, a blog isn't the way to go in my opinion. Find a discussion board related to your interests and go for it there. If you expect your blog to create discussion, you're likely to be disappointed. That's my experience. Maybe I just suck at it though. :)

I think you suck...but that has nothing to do with starting a blog

if you think it will help you sharpen your writing skills...then why not...but do it for you, not for anyone else...and if you write in it once a week or every hour...you decide!

Archived