• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nerds help!

davos

Today showed why I hate Best Buy and am horrible when it comes to computer luck:

Go in, buy an Acer 20" LCD (Mistake #1), come back home and the resolution is terrible, the screen was shaking, bad stand, poor quality design overall.

Luckily, I had some time on my hands so I exchanged it for a nice LG 20" LCD (mistake #2). Take it back and it looks great. The second time I go to use it, the screen becomes yellow and apparently it was a faulty monitor with a blown chi[p or some bologne. Now, its back in the box and will be exchanged for a new one tomorrow. Now, I'm to the point where I want something damn nice, but Best Buy clearly sucks donkey d*ck.

None of the purchases had an HDMI output, which I think I want now. I was curious to see what people here had and what brands seem to be the best. I'm now thinking a 21.5" HP HD LCD (HDMI). Thoughts for a stressed arch student?

Don't ever go to best buy for computer stuff. Way over priced.

Check out newegg.com, they will have everything you are looking for in a monitor for much less. I have been buying stuff from there for the past 4 years. Shipping is good and easy return service if something goes bad. You can look up the specs for the monitor you want then read all the feedback that people who already bought it posted under the reviews.

Here is the monitor I got last year from them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009145

I have a Samsung T260HD and I love it. It's 26". Full 1080p HD.

It has a tv tuner, vga, dvi, 2 hdmi ports, component, and built in speakers. It has a headphone jack and a handy stero-out that makes connecting other speakers a snap. It uses the same menu as their tv's.

I got it for $300 during black friday but i think it still runs $320. The craziest thing is a comparable samsung 26" tv runs around $420 and it's actually only 720p with everything else being the same. It's the best kept secret of the monitor world.

In short, you get a full 1080p HD tv, a very nice large computer monitor, and a great display to watch movies or play games on. All of this is $100 cheaper than a 26" samsung 720p tv.

does your computer have an HDMI output or are you looking to use this as a TV?

My HP had an HDMI output and yep...I'm looking to use this for multiple architectural softwares and also for hulu/tvshack type stuff. I'm thinking I want really clear resolution.

I have a Samsung T260HD and I love it. It's 26". Full 1080p HD.

It has a tv tuner, vga, dvi, 2 hdmi ports, component, and built in speakers. It has a headphone jack and a handy stero-out that makes connecting other speakers a snap. It uses the same menu as their tv's.

I got it for $300 during black friday but i think it still runs $320. The craziest thing is a comparable samsung 26" tv runs around $420 and it's actually only 720p with everything else being the same. It's the best kept secret of the monitor world.

In short, you get a full 1080p HD tv, a very nice large computer monitor, and a great display to watch movies or play games on. All of this is $100 cheaper than a 26" samsung 720p tv.

So is that classified more as a computer monitor or HDTV? Most of the stuff I was looking seemed to run from 140 to 250$$.

No monitor will have an HDMI output, what you would want is an HDMI input (haha, sorry). DVI will look just as good as HDMI, the only advantage of HDMI is that you can get digital audio as well as video, whereas using a DVI cable will require an additional cable for audio. If you are using speakers other than those built-in to your monitor then you'll have to have a separate audio cable anyways.

Acer actually does make good monitors for a low price. Typically when you buy a budget brand monitor Acer/Hanns/etc. the display will look just as good as your Samsung/LG/Dell monitors the aspect that won't be as good is the stand (won't have the mobility or ease of motion as the more expensive ones), the style, and additional features (speakers, usb ports, webcams, etc.).

As others have mentioned, don't go to Best Buy. Newegg.com is almost always going to be your best bet. I would suggest filtering through monitors on their site for the price range and/or size you are looking for and the sort the results by best reviewed and then look for ones that have 4-5 stars and a lot of reviews. I find their user base to be very good at reviewing products accurately as long as their is a large enough sample size.

Well after some more research and the responses, I'm thinking HP or Samsung. Hopefully I can keep it under 250. Do you think its possible for under a 21.5"?

610 reviews and 5 stars, customer choice award, i would buy this without blinking an eye (if i was in need of a 21.5" monitor).

If you're really skeptical of Acer, here is an HP, that is still well under $250.

So is that classified more as a computer monitor or HDTV? Most of the stuff I was looking seemed to run from 140 to 250$$.

i think the 26" HDTV might have better speakers, but yes it's a monitor as most of it's connections are pc related. It has an HDTV tuner so it's also a full blown tv, theres not difference between them.

The HDTV's connections are mostly home theater related, but it does have one connection for your pc, I can't remember what kind. You could also buy the HDTV and use it as a pc monitor, but you wouldn't have the high resolution.

Other than that they are the same, with the monitor oddly being cheaper.

If you do pony up a little more dough for this monitor you will not be dissapointed. I pretty much buy everything at the sweetspot of value. I also bought it on black friday which helped.

Alot of the reviews for monitors are very technical, so if your not a big videophile, just concentrate on it's reliability, build quality, and warranty. The most noticeable issue among the average person is backlight bleed, so you might want to pay attention to that.

Archived