• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Haiti

Matt Foley

Probably because they live in Miami and never thought, 'hey, I might need a coat?'.

Yes, just as sad as a fuging earthquake that killed 100,000+ people.

Unbelievable.

Or maybe they couldnt afford to buy a coat for their child...do you think the parents of these kids had money to buy coats, and didnt just to mess with their children??

and no,it wasnt just Maimi, this happened all accross Florida, and I would amagine other Southern states...but screw them huh, lets send Millions to Haiti..Unbelievable.

A couple points. Most people do not realize that the damage increases exponetionally in relation to magnitude of an earth quake as recorded on the Richter. See the chart. ( Found at http://www.seismo.unr.edu/ftp/pub/louie/class/100/magnitude.html )

mag.gif

Next, we are overdue for a 200 year event quake on the New Madrid fault. We had one at about a 9 there in 1811,12 that caused the Mississippi River to run backwards for several days.

See story here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

I know it's WiKKi but there are other reliable sources for this story.

This article needs additional citations for verification.

Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (November 2008)

The Great Earthquake at New Madrid. A nineteenth-century woodcut from Devens' Our First Century (1877)

New Madrid fault and Earthquake prone region considered at high risk today.

The 1811 and 1812 New Madrid Earthquakes are the most intense intraplate earthquake series to have occurred in the contiguous United States, beginning with an initial pair of very large earthquakes on December 16, 1811. These earthquakes, as well as the seismic zone of their occurrence, were named for the Mississippi River town of New Madrid, Louisiana Territory, now Missouri.

There are estimates that the earthquakes were felt strongly over roughly 130,000 square kilometers (50,000 square miles), and moderately across nearly 3 million square kilometers (1 million square miles). The historic 1906 San Francisco earthquake, by comparison, was felt moderately over roughly 16,000 square kilometers (6,000 square miles).

Here is more

http://geology.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/4/296

Geoarchaeological evidence of strong prehistoric earthquakes in the New Madrid (Missouri) seismic zone

Roger T. Saucier1

1 U.S. Army Engineers Waterways Experiment Station, 3909 Halls Ferry Road, Vicksburg, Mississippi 39180-6199

Sand blows and fissures that cover >10500 km2 in northeastern Arkansas and southeastern Missouri attest to the severity of the 1811-1812 earthquake series in the New Madrid seismic zone. However, except for one occurrence near New Madrid, Missouri, the region has been devoid of any evidence of other major shocks for at least 1.3 ka prior to 1811 and possibly for >9 ka. Stratigraphic relations and radiocarbon dating at a recently excavated archaeological site near East Prairie, Missouri, have revealed liquefaction phenomena attributable to a shock dated to within about 100 yr prior to A.D. 539 and a probable second one dated between about A.D. 539 and 991.

You can get a jacket for $9.00.

While I know some folks literally can't scrape together 9.00, i doubt there are that many who truly couldn't find, or borrow, $9.00. I grew up literally below the poverty line for some years and I never recall not having clothes.

If you don't have an extra 9.00 you better not have cable tv, a shiny car, an xbox, have gone to applebee's in the past month, more than a very basic cell phone, more apartment than you need, etc...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10159581

A quake like that today would devastate Memphis and probably kill millions of Americans.

I would also like to add that we must help Haiti in this time. A persons shows great ignorance saying something like "we need to help people here first". If we did not help in these situations we would not be Americans.

While I know some folks literally can't scrape together 9.00, i doubt there are that many who truly couldn't find, or borrow, $9.00. I grew up literally below the poverty line for some years and I never recall not having clothes.

If you don't have an extra 9.00 you better not have cable tv, a shiny car, an xbox, have gone to applebee's in the past month, more than a very basic cell phone, more apartment than you need, etc...

talk about cold hearted...wow.

I'd be shocked if there was anywhere in Miami with $9 coats. They would have sold out in 10 minutes.

When Seattle hit 100 this summer, you couldn't get an air conditioner in the stores if you paid double for one.

Not sure exactly how a thread on a natural disaster that has killed enough people to total a six digit figure should be moved to the tinderbox...but here we go.

Well, you've got one person using a horrible disaster as an excuse to take a shot at religious people and another being a douche, I suppose, just for the sake of being a douche.

People are great, eh? :nonod:

Girlfriend has been watching the coverage of it and finds it all extremely sad. I can't even bring myself to read or watch the news because I always have trouble disconnecting myself from these things. I tend to internalize it all and feel really sad.

We'll both likely contribute something to relief efforts; money, food or clothes or something of the sort. Our local church usually helps collect things for stuff like this.

All very sad. Makes you think that what you consider tragedies in your own life are, relatively speaking, no big deal.

A couple points. Most people do not realize that the damage increases exponetionally in relation to magnitude of an earth quake as recorded on the Richter. See the chart. ( Found at http://www.seismo.unr.edu/ftp/pub/louie/class/100/magnitude.html )

mag.gif

That's right about the exponential quake ratings. I was about 40 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge 6.5 quake. Had a waterbed at the time, that sucker sloshed back and forth like you can't believe. I'd hate to be ground zero for a 7 plus quake.

That's right about the exponential quake ratings. I was about 40 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge 6.5 quake. Had a waterbed at the time, that sucker sloshed back and forth like you can't believe. I'd hate to be ground zero for a 7 plus quake.

Yeah, can you imagine the 9 that hit in 2004 causing the tsunami? 1000 more powerful than this one... incredible.

Sheesh

The US has indestructible carrier groups roaming the world. Send one of them to Haiti.

Don't make sarcastic remarks about stuff you don't know about. You know we will easily be the leading nation in humanitarian aide from the pubic and private sector. That kind of comment isn't called for, it doesn't make any sense.

Notice the quote was about immediate aide, it takes a while to put together multimillion dollar packages. It's our tax dollars so obviously it's going to have a bunch of red tape to cut through.

It's especially ironic that you mentioned carrier groups because we pretty much have sent a carrier task force to any major disaster for humnitarian aide since the invention of the aircraft carrier.

Archived