• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce could be a future cautionary tale...

micnificent28

2 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

We suck on purpose.

There are some good QB's showing up that will be available in the next draft. I don't recall all names right now but a few that have stuck out to me are as follows:

1. Sanders - They have no run game, at all, yet he's throwing for 300 and 400 yards, multiple touchdowns, and just carrying that team. If he weren't there, they would be losing much worse than they already are

2. Kyle McCord - Dude has played lights out the first two games and was treated like dog poo at Ohio State

3. LSU Guy - He stuck around behind Daniels and man, he can fit a football into a tight window without even seeing the receiver, and throws with such timing and pace

4. Carson Beck - I don't like the idea of drafting him. He's an average player on the best team in the country and it's hard to tell if he's carried or is carrying the team. Overall, if App State's receivers could have created separation against Clemson, I think Joey Aguilar could have had a similar stat line to Beck so I'm inclined to think Beck will be drafted high, but it's solely a function of being on the best team in the country. 

I would like to throw in Jaxson dart.  The only problem with him is that he plays for Ole Miss rebels.  I am a graduate from Ole Miss. I have seen some talented quarterbacks. Leave Ole Miss only to have off the field problems when they play at the NFL level. Can you say Chad Kelly can you say, Matt Correll?

All kidding aside, Jackson is an extremely talented quarterback. He is very accurate he has turned Ole Miss from, “ just another contender” to “a national championship contender.”

People, I am not sure we have to worry about tanking.   I do not think we can win a game with this situation.  When a second year, #1 overall draft pick explains that it was his job to recognize blitzes and check out or "throw the ball away," I get concerned.  First, your life is football--how did you not realize this before Sunday?  Second, it happened 4 times.  "Fool me once...:  and third, I get the feeling that he is playing the victim to a degree.  Where is the anger?  The fire?  The drive?  It is almost as if he is entitled and we are fully invested in our newly adopted child.  

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, fanpanther said:

I believe Bryce came out and said the 4 sacks from the cb blitz were on him its his job to recognize it and shift protection or get rid of the ball to the guy left open from the blitzing corner. 

I expect him to own it. It's his job and that is his character. 

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Young can't pick them up. Even the announcers were blaming him on those. Said it's basic stuff you expect to see a 2nd year guy grasp. They also said they were blitzing more than normal but it was effective. 

I heard the announcers all game long. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Green-Ghost said:

I would like to throw in Jaxson dart.  The only problem with him is that he plays for Ole Miss rebels.  I am a graduate from Ole Miss. I have seen some talented quarterbacks. Leave Ole Miss only to have off the field problems when they play at the NFL level. Can you say Chad Kelly can you say, Matt Correll?

All kidding aside, Jackson is an extremely talented quarterback. He is very accurate he has turned Ole Miss from, “ just another contender” to “a national championship contender.”

Dart just set a SEC record for 24 straight completions and his qb rating is off the charts (they have not played anyone MTSU and Furman)--has always been mobile enough and has always completed over 60%--I think college prospects are considered accurate around 70%, fwiw).  His two games, however, are eye opening.  47 completions in 54 attempts.  Nearly 400 yards per game.  Great start.  While I see the top 3 QBs as Ewers, Beck, and maybe Sanders (I have reasons for some red flags with Sanders), I see a second wave of QBs who could rise into the first round and even the best QB conversation.  Any of these four could easily rise, if not all of them:  Milroe (ALA) Mussmeier (LSU) and Allar (Penn St.) 

The quality of the program can elevate a QB and if you play for Georgia or Alabama, that should factor in as a negative.  Ole Miss is ranked pretty high, so I will watch Dart closely against equal or better opponents.  He could be the real deal, however, having played at USC and then three years under Kiffin.  Corral was under Kiffin too, so I wonder if he is able to get the most out of talent that was not considered NFL caliber-but every situation is different.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Dart just set a SEC record for 24 straight completions and his qb rating is off the charts (they have not played anyone MTSU and Furman)--has always been mobile enough and has always completed over 60%--I think college prospects are considered accurate around 70%, fwiw).  His two games, however, are eye opening.  47 completions in 54 attempts.  Nearly 400 yards per game.  Great start.  While I see the top 3 QBs as Ewers, Beck, and maybe Sanders (I have reasons for some red flags with Sanders), I see a second wave of QBs who could rise into the first round and even the best QB conversation.  Any of these four could easily rise, if not all of them:  Milroe (ALA) Mussmeier (LSU) and Allar (Penn St.) 

The quality of the program can elevate a QB and if you play for Georgia or Alabama, that should factor in as a negative.  Ole Miss is ranked pretty high, so I will watch Dart closely against equal or better opponents.  He could be the real deal, however, having played at USC and then three years under Kiffin.  Corral was under Kiffin too, so I wonder if he is able to get the most out of talent that was not considered NFL caliber-but every situation is different.

there are plenty of prospects this year if we have to move on, I dont believe the narrative that this class isnt good.  It seems pretty deep to me

• Pie 2

I was just having this conversation yesterday at BHAWK Distillery (awesome btw!) after checking out mid-third quarter.

Bryce is absolutely going to be a cautionary tale. Bryce Young being taken #1 overall is the story of people thinking too much for their own good, and data doesn't always tell the whole story.

Picking NFL talent is extremely risky, so people who are in the position of making those calls like to wrap themselves in some sort of security blanket to try to add structure, logic, and reproducibility to something that is inherently chaotic. Guys who looked like sure-fire hits have flopped. And guys who were written off and drafted Mr. Irrelevant have led their teams to the Super Bowl. It's a gamble. It's a woozle. It's a wozzle.

matthew mcconaughey GIF

No one knows what's actually going to make a successful NFL pro.

So what do the people in charge of picking NFL talent do? It varies from year to year. But right now, it seems like the answer is:

Analytics!

Let's take every measurable about a prospect. Let's take every characteristic. Every personality trait. And let's turn it into data. Plug it all into a computer. Do a rain dance and ejaculate on the motherboard, and hey presto! You've got a "formula" for picking NFL talent.

Except you can't project NFL talent based on "data." There are too many immeasurables. Too many unquantifiable characteristics. Too many exigent circumstances surrounding players, teams, chemistry, coaching, and on and on and on.

Bryce Young is the product of people thinking too much for their own good. And unfortunately, we were the fanbase that happened to be picking at #1 when we found the limits of "Analytics."

After Bryce Young, people will say, "Hey, the computer said that this smurf is the best player in the draft," and someone else will rightly say, "Let me use my eyes and common sense. Hmm. No. He's clearly a smurf. Let's pick the guy who actually looks like an NFL player, data be damned."

• Beer 2

17 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I heard the announcers all game long. 

And that's why the Saints kept blitzing because he couldn't pick them up.

There isn't play calling that's going to make Young look good unless they start playing college teams. 

4 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I mean go ahead and celebrate about being right that Young is dog sh*t and this team is going to suck for yet another season. What an amazing thing to be right about lol. Unfortunately it isn't going to make your Sundays anymore fun, sorry about that.

So you think Bryce is dogsh*t? That's very surprising to hear from one of the most diehard and consistent Bryce supporters. What made you change your mind?

23 minutes ago, Waldo said:

And that's why the Saints kept blitzing because he couldn't pick them up.

There isn't play calling that's going to make Young look good unless they start playing college teams. 

Coach Dave didn't have him prepared.  Then again is was a new offense for the Saints. 

Anyways, that's not even nearly as bad as our defense was. 

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I mean go ahead and celebrate about being right that Young is dog sh*t and this team is going to suck for yet another season. What an amazing thing to be right about lol. Unfortunately it isn't going to make your Sundays anymore fun, sorry about that.

Honestly, it did make Sunday more fun. I knew Young sucked and we’d suck this year so I was prepared for the dazzling display we got. It was almost funny/comical to watch and I wasn’t as angry as you clearly appear to be.

I’m just going to relax and watch some football, maybe Panthers and watch college games to see who might be worth our top pick. It’s actually interesting now that we actually have a 1st rounder.