• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

169 arrested in Texas cockfighting raid, face 6-8 months of additional cockfighting

Jangler

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6797256.html

Sheriff's deputies arrested 169 people and seized 114 roosters after raiding a cockfight site in North Texas on Saturday, authorities said.

Drugs and cash were seized at the north Parker County site, and at least 10 children were taken into custody by Child Protective Services workers, officials said.

Cockfight organizers had set up an arena inside a barn, said Parker County Sheriff Larry Fowler.

Dead and injured roosters were also found.

Officials said the operators could face charges of gambling and engaging in organized crime.

John Goodwin of the Humane Society of the United States said cockfighting is a lucrative business.

“There's a little industry that has evolved around this,” he said. “It's surprising how organized these people can be.

“If 50 people enter the cockfighting ring and each pay a $200 entry fee, that's $10,000 in the pot. Hopefully, people will look at this arrest and see the consequences outweigh any of the potential gain.”

Growing up in Western Massachusetts, I had a friend whose father owned a small farm and told me one day that he had a big fight there once a month or so. All Portugese I think...personally I thought it was pretty awful but it was one of those moments when you are 17 and think "Ah Ha! This is how the world actually works!".....

I don't see the bloodsport ban as much as being about animal rights, as asking humans to show that they're more civilized than animals. I've never had the urge to make an animal fight for my pleasure, personally, and I admittedly have a few screws loose.

Archived