• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any financial resolutions/goals/neat ideas for 2010?

pstall

We paid off all our credit cards recently in preparation for the baby coming. Wife is gonna stay home for at least a year so I'm trying to figure out how to make it on just my salary/band $$ alone.

Will be a challenge but we'll make it work.

we just got someone to rent our old house. their rent pays the mortgage. since i plan to sell that home in the next two years, should i overpay the mortgage to reduce the principle or take the extra funds and stash them in a high interest CD? where else should i put those funds?

Nice setup.

The overpayment depends on your current cash flow. If you are in good enough shape to do so and the rate is low pay it down.

That also assumes you have no debt right now. Of course if you have debt, knock that out.

If you go the cd route, make sure you Ladder the cd's. Get different increments so you can take advantage of changing rates without locking in all your money.

Best thing I did was go to a high-interest rate money market account. I also got one of those way to save deals that anytime I use my debit card, a buck goes into that account, with five percent interest the first year, and 3 percent for years two and three.

Back on the budget because we blew it the last 2 months. Part of me wants to sell our house get rid of the weight and live in a damn apartment without any responsibility!!!! but that will never happen :)

Maybe we should just get a roommate. We have so much wasted space and it would bring in some extra dough. hmmmm.......

Back on the budget because we blew it the last 2 months. Part of me wants to sell our house get rid of the weight and live in a damn apartment without any responsibility!!!! but that will never happen :)

Maybe we should just get a roommate. We have so much wasted space and it would bring in some extra dough. hmmmm.......

with a young son, I would choose someone you know very well if you decide to go that route.

I have thought that several times myself.

But selling it is an issue unto itself. But I wouldn't mind renting, lowering our outcome by alot and take a year or so and financially reboot some.

I have thought that several times myself.

But selling it is an issue unto itself. But I wouldn't mind renting, lowering our outcome by alot and take a year or so and financially reboot some.

Yeah we bought a foreclosed home. Great deal but too much space and lots of upkeep. My husband is ready to sell it once the market turns around but I think I'm getting spoiled to it all. Not sure I'm going to be able to downgrade after living there for several years. Then again the idea of having a teeny tiny house payment is quite appealing and would help me reach my goal of being able to sit around and play video games all day for the rest of my life :cool:

Archived