• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

running the entire 3rd and 4th qtr when you are looking at a young QB??

grateflday

Why do so many people think that it impossible to judge a player based on 100's of throws in orchestrated situations in practice? Why do they think it takes 6-8 throws during a game to make a decision?

Well, the pressure and intensity are certainly much greater during a game than during practice. And thats the key, seeing how the QB reacts under pressure. Fwiw though, I don't think we would see how Moore reacted under pressure yesterday. There just didn't seem to be a lot of intensity in the second half.

The play calling got us a win.

But I guess you'd rather see Moore throw the ball all over the place in hopes of what, seeing 2 more quarters of what we already know he can do?

I was not wanting to see Moore throw it all over the place, but one some of those 3rd downs it would have been nice; and maybe on a couple of 1st or 2nd downs.

Plus we dont already really know what Moore can do when he HAS to throw the ball; and whether or not "we do" - I guess having your young QB get experience dropping back to pass on 3rd and long is a bad idea :rolleyes:

I get what he meant, and I could agree, but it isn't my decision.

My point is that Fox might think he knows enough to go with Moore, hence not seeing the need to use this game for evaluative purposes.

Why do so many people think that it impossible to judge a player based on 100's of throws in orchestrated situations in practice? Why do they think it takes 6-8 throws during a game to make a decision?

Evaluative purposes or not, I am not even saying that. You have Moore throw some passes in the 2nd half for EXPERIENCE!!! Practice is one thing, game situations against an opponent is another despite if they are resting starters. Moore has had the luxury of a great running game and defense in all his starts this season and that is great; but he is not going to have that all the time. How about giving him some game time experience throwing the ball on 3rd down, etc. Sure, you can do that in the Pre-Season but why waste a whole half in a regular season game. I understand why they played that way, but if I was more concerned about next season I would be letter Moore get experience passing more, thats all.

Yesterday's game was typical John Fox. Get the lead, do nothing on offense unless the other team ties it up or takes the lead themselves.

I get what he meant, and I could agree, but it isn't my decision.

My point is that Fox might think he knows enough to go with Moore, hence not seeing the need to use this game for evaluative purposes.

Maybe - if Fox is here he will start Delhomme

and if he is not here he is not interested in giving Moore experience

:(

Some players are different in games than in practice. Moore looked horrible in preseason, not the case when actually given a chance with the first team in games- to the tune fo 4-1.

Also Jarrett, I keep hearing how he is stupid and can not learn the playbook and isn't good in practice, but every game time situation where he has had the ball thrown to him he caught everything and took big hits, went over the middle, picked up some key 3rd downs. But because Fox thinks he isn't good in practice he deactivates him every game and we don't get to see.

When Jake was in per Fox decision, only Smitty and Moose ever got the ball. We don't know how good Rosario is, Barnridge is, and won't unless they are given shots and get the ball thrown to them-and I dont mean in practice.

In Iversons immortal words.....practice, we talkin practice, I mean practice man, we talkin practice.

You have Moore throw some passes in the 2nd half for EXPERIENCE!!! Practice is one thing, game situations against an opponent is another despite if they are resting starters. .

So you want to tell 52 players that winning is not as important as getting a few (very few) more game reps for your possible starter next year? You want to demonstrate that deviation from a game plan (& philosophy) that is working is OK?

Some players are different in games than in practice. Moore looked horrible in preseason, not the case when actually given a chance with the first team in games- to the tune fo 4-1.

Also Jarrett, I keep hearing how he is stupid and can not learn the playbook and isn't good in practice, but every game time situation where he has had the ball thrown to him he caught everything and took big hits, went over the middle, picked up some key 3rd downs. But because Fox thinks he isn't good in practice he deactivates him every game and we don't get to see.

When Jake was in per Fox decision, only Smitty and Moose ever got the ball. We don't know how good Rosario is, Barnridge is, and won't unless they are given shots and get the ball thrown to them-and I dont mean in practice.

In Iversons immortal words.....practice, we talkin practice, I mean practice man, we talkin practice.

And in game situations, you have organized your game plan around the plays that the on field personnel groupings have mastered. Do you think they put Jarrett on the field to run plays that he demonstrated that he didn't know in practice. That would be pretty stupid. You can't look entirely at what he did excel at. You also have to take a look at some of the things that were accomplished by a 36 yo WR and wonder why he was on the field over Jarrett.

Hidden

But I guess you'd rather see Moore throw the ball all over the place in hopes of what, seeing 2 more quarters of what we already know he can do?

So you want to tell 52 players that winning is not as important as getting a few (very few) more game reps for your possible starter next year? You want to demonstrate that deviation from a game plan (& philosophy) that is working is OK?

You know what, I agree with your statement also which makes this discussion difficult. My feelings of letting Moore throw the ball some also goes in hand with Fox's philosphy of doing nothing when you have a lead until the opponent either ties the score or takes the lead.

Despite how dominant the defense was a 13pt lead in the 3rd QTR means nothing. So many times Fox packs in the offense when the Panthers have a lead to then see it evaporate resulting in then having to have your QB do something. Fox did the same thing yesterday, fortunately it resulted in a win.

So, yeah you get Moore experience but at the same time you TRY to put a team away and not just protect a slight lead; but Fox doesnt do that and is why the Panthers are so inconsistent. For all we know those 51 other players were thinking here we go again, relying on the Defense and RB's to have to make all the plays

You know what, I agree with your statement also which makes this discussion difficult. My feelings of letting Moore throw the ball some also goes in hand with Fox's philosphy of doing nothing when you have a lead until the opponent either ties the score or takes the lead.

Despite how dominant the defense was a 13pt lead in the 3rd QTR means nothing. So many times Fox packs in the offense when the Panthers have a lead to then see it evaporate resulting in then having to have your QB do something. Fox did the same thing yesterday, fortunately it resulted in a win.

So, yeah you get Moore experience but at the same time you TRY to put a team away and not just protect a slight lead; but Fox doesnt do that and is why the Panthers are so inconsistent. For all we know those 51 other players were thinking here we go again, relying on the Defense and RB's to have to make all the plays.

I would have like to see more than just run, run, run, punt the entire 2nd half.

Fox's game plan and philosophy and conservativeness has our players 8 and 8 and sitting at home watching the playoffs.

Same results as every other year, never 2 winning seasons in a row. Good season-crap season...........so is that acceptable forever? And what about in Minnesota game and Giants game? We had those games well in hand but they opened the offences up to the tune of 67 points to our opponents 16 in those 2 games. So he wanted to run it up on the Giants but not the Saints?

I just think when you chance to evaluate your talent and still get the win, you do it, don't shut it down. Why make you Qb only a game manager if he might be capable of much more?

You can't be serious, that was a glorified preseason game, try different things with Matt see what he does in different situations have some fun with it. But no we hand off, then hand off , then run the wild cat with Hoover:confused: Was that the part of the winning game plan? Game plan:smilielol5:

The playcalling is typical playcalling to get the win, when you have a lead. You can talk about wanting to see Moore throw more in those situations all you want to, but that is not what regular season is about. Would I have liked to see him make some more throws on 1st, and 3rd? Sure, but I fully understand why they didn't. When you got a lead, you run the ball, run time off the clock. They did that, and got the win. Yet some people will never be happy.

Look how many times NE ran the ball yesterday. It was really cold and that ball would have felt like a rock hitting you. There were a ton of dropped passes yesterday. We ran because we could and it was not that easy to throw particularly with the wind swirling. Pretty easy to figure out if you were there.

Archived