• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

running the entire 3rd and 4th qtr when you are looking at a young QB??

grateflday

I have said this inside several other threads but wanted to see how you all felt about this so I started a specific thread on this.

How many of you were pissed at the play calling in the 3rd and 4th Qtr??? I was and am glad Billick also brought this up during the broadcast.

What are you doing running the ball on every single play in the 3rd and 4th Qtr when you are playing a young QB and trying to evaluate what you have??? Is it so you can go 8-8 vs 7-9. I mean come on. How are you as a coach evaluating a guy, seeing what he can do possibly for next season, plus how is Matt Moore going to develope, learn, when all he is doing with a 13pt lead is handing the ball off for 2 qtrs.

I just found the whole 2nd half ridiculus and it sealed my desire to see Fox move on.

How many of you were pissed at the play calling in the 3rd and 4th Qtr??? I was and am glad Billick also brought this up during the broadcast.

I was going to say, you sound just like Billick. I was actually getting tired of him saying " Here on third down, we need to see if Moore has what it takes"... Every 3rd down. Every 3rd down, he would say the same thing. We all know Fox, he will run Hoov on 3rd and 12. I have seen enough out of Moore. As for Billick, thought he was basically saying Delhomme is still the man. F-THat!

Dont take that personal.

Perhaps because they weren't "looking at him" anymore.

Could be they feel like they know enough already. It's even possible the decision might already have been made to go into next season with Moore as starter.

"There's nothing wrong with the bloody thing!" :yikes:

He' has not been seeing what Fox has been seeing, thats for sure!

Say they had Moore throw 10 or so more passes. What would that show? Even if they were 10 great passes that wouldnt suddenly change there plans for the future or really help them figure out who Moore is.

I think they have already planned on letting Moore battle for the one next year. 10 or 20 passes IMO wouldnt have changed that good or bad.

Could be they feel like they know enough already. It's even possible the decision might already have been made to go into next season with Moore as starter.

I am not buying that part at all :-) For me it just comes down to Fox, his philosphy and possible inability to know how to develope a player.

Matt Moore is not going to learn how to read defenses, pass coverages, blitzes, etc by handing the ball off for 2nd Qtrs straight.

I am not buying that part at all :-) For me it just comes down to Fox, his philosphy and possible inability to know how to develope a player.

Matt Moore is not going to learn how to read defenses, pass coverages, blitzes, etc by handing the ball off for 2nd Qtrs straight.

How much will Moore learn by facing a New Orleans defense that really wasn't playing that hard. Face it, by the third quarter, New Orleans was thinking about the post season, and our guys were thinking about the offseason. Moore will learn more during preseason training than he would against New Orleans defense yesterday.

You can still read all that regarldess if your handing the ball of or not.

Matt Moore was not going to get noticably better had he thrown a couple more balls.

I have said this inside several other threads but wanted to see how you all felt about this so I started a specific thread on this.

What are you doing running the ball on every single play in the 3rd and 4th Qtr when you are playing a young QB and trying to evaluate what you have??? Is it so you can go 8-8 vs 7-9. I mean come on. How are you as a coach evaluating a guy, seeing what he can do possibly for next season, plus how is Matt Moore going to develope, learn, when all he is doing with a 13pt lead is handing the ball off for 2 qtrs.

I just found the whole 2nd half ridiculus and it sealed my desire to see Fox move on.

The play calling got us a win.

But I guess you'd rather see Moore throw the ball all over the place in hopes of what, seeing 2 more quarters of what we already know he can do?

What Billick was saying, and which I happen to completely agree with, was not about next year and whether or not Moore should compete with or even get the start over Jake, but trying to get more info on Moore to better determine if he has what it takes to be the long-term QB of this team. And unfortunately, we still have not seen enough to know for sure.

He hasn't had many 3rd and longs, or really been put in any particularly difficult positions. In fact, in each of his starts, Moore was just asked to manage the game, not once was he asked to do anything that would indicate he will be able to carry the team on his shoulders if nothing else is working. So there is still a lot we do not know about what he is capable of.

And while it is impossible to duplicate every situation you would like to evaluate him in, you do what you can...and in this case, that was putting the ball in Moore's hands as much as possible. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Now I don't buy into any conspiracy theory, but I do think it was a lost opportunity to get a better look at Moore, even if it was against a resting Saints team...especially since this was a meaningless game for both teams.

What Billick was saying, and which I happen to completely agree with, was not about next year and whether or not Moore should compete with or even get the start over Jake, but trying to get more info on Moore to better determine if he has what it takes to be the long-term QB of this team. And unfortunately, we still have not seen enough to know for sure.

He hasn't had many 3rd and longs, or really been put in any particularly difficult positions. In fact, in each of his starts, Moore was just asked to manage the game, not once was he asked to do anything that would indicate he will be able to carry the team on his shoulders if nothing else is working. So there is still a lot we do not know about what he is capable of.

And while it is impossible to duplicate every situation you would like to evaluate him in, you do what you can...and in this case, that was putting the ball in Moore's hands as much as possible. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Now I don't buy into any conspiracy theory, but I do think it was a lost opportunity to get a better look at Moore, even if it was against a resting Saints team...especially since this was a meaningless game for both teams.

I get what he meant, and I could agree, but it isn't my decision.

My point is that Fox might think he knows enough to go with Moore, hence not seeing the need to use this game for evaluative purposes.

Why do so many people think that it impossible to judge a player based on 100's of throws in orchestrated situations in practice? Why do they think it takes 6-8 throws during a game to make a decision?

Archived