• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers w/long term contract or 1st rnd pick with cap space

cheynehowell

What's the point of even having Brown/Johnson if you resign Peppers to a long term contract? Either the Panthers can bank on a 30 year old head case or they can go with their promising young guys who won't be anywhere near as costly.

It's called "ROTATION".

What's the point of even having Brown/Johnson if you resign Peppers to a long term contract? Either the Panthers can bank on a 30 year old head case or they can go with their promising young guys who won't be anywhere near as costly.
that makes a lot of sense.

i'm still feeling that if we can get him for cheap and he wants to be here then we make it happen. he won't go for cheap, though. best case, imo, is what i have been saying...get him in a cap friendly contract and then trade him for something that we need more. letting him walk isn't a bad idea either. if we can get something of value for him i think we should but even if we don't we'll be ok.

Tough call. Atleast with Pep you know what you're getting each year, which about 8 solid games, 4 great games, and 4 stinkers.

If the price is right, sign Pep definitely. If he is asking for ridiculous amounts of moolah, then I'd rather have the 1st rounder.

12 games of solid or better is actually very good. Compare that to Jared Allen who had three great games, 4 decent ones, and didn't do much in the others.

I agree though, if he wants albert haynesworth money, he can get it from another team.

I'm happy about Matt Moore because of the opportunity to solve the QB issues internally with no chemistry problems. I would give Pep a healthy contract and go after a WR via free agency and drafting an under the radar type player like Smitty was for us. With the talent we have we are not far from being a Super Bowl team. It all starts with signing Pep.

Tag & Trade but that would be pretty moot because there are some good, "cheap" free agents coming out and I'm pretty sure this team would much rather get a quick free-agent fix instead of wanting to develop players.

This team is prime for a SB run we get cap, we get free agents, we get back to winning.

S I M P L E.

As much as I hate to say it...those are my thoughts exactly. I appreciate everything that Pep has done for the team and that he actually looked like he stepped up to the plate this year. But at 16 million bucks that is what I expected him to do.

Brown and Johnson have shown real flashes of what they can do rushing the passer. IMO...if we brought in Cowher and he installed his 3-4 defense, Everette Brown would be the next great OLB pass rusher. He has DeMarcus Ware, LaMarr Woodley, Shawn Merriman written all over him IMO.

Its a tough call with Pep but I think that whether we end up staying with the Tampa 2 or switching to a 3-4, we can be successful without him and add some much needed weapons to our offense for Moore to use next year.

If you told me we could trade Pep for a first round pick and we could get Dez Bryant or Golden Tate INCLUDING the cap space to sign another pass rusher or DT...I'd do it.

Think of it this way. We could sign Pep to a long-term deal OR we could potentially bring in:

Dez Bryant/Golden Tate

Casey Hampton (will not be retained by the Steelers)

Give TD a new contract

Sign another pass rushing OLB (Merriman is a FA this year)

if there's no cap and jerry doesn't care then why should we

it's not my money

True but back in the pre cap days you had owners like Ediie Debartelo that spent millions buying free agents and Championships. Then you had more fiscally responsible owners who didn't or couldnt spend that type of money. JR strikes me as the later.

peppers will get tagged on way or the other.

his options will be greater this year than it will be at any point in the future. if 2011 is locked out he'll be 32 before he he can play on any team and who is going to want to take much of a risk on that? we won't be over the hill but he also won't be nearly as valuable.

if he's serious about wanting to go to another team the only way it will happen is if he can make himself cap friendly. only way that is going to happen is if he signs a cap friendly deal with us...unless he can find some team to give us a couple first rounders.

if he signs a reasonable deal with the panthers he'll be easier to move. he's probably not going to be looking at the exact same teams he did last year. if he opens up his options a bit he'll find a new home.

i still say a deal with arizona makes the most sense. they need him. he likes arizona. we need boldin. they don't want boldin. boldin wants to go somewhere he'll be appreciated. money saved from not paying peppers franchise tag will be able to free up plenty of money to get him.

if he decides he's happy here and is fine with staying....cool. prove it by signing a cap friendly deal with us. let us use that money to go after some more help.

so shall it be written. so shall it be done.

The Panthers don't "need" Boldin.

"or they can go with their promising young guys who might not be as good."

Think its possible to have 2 1,000 yard WR's, and 2 1,000 yard RB's in the same season?

Nope.

Archived