• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sherlock Holmes

pstall

How have they strayed Jangler - I haven't seen it yet, but the reviews I have seen about it say at first glance it might seem to have strayed, but if you look at the strictly at the books and not any of the previous Sherlock Holmes movies, that it has not. I'd be interested in PG's and pstall's take on that questions as well.

I think it covered his persona quite well. The gay thing is kinda overdone. Moreseo the joking that any of the fellas do on here with fellow dudes.

In the movie I wouldn't classify him as a womanizer. He was more of a guy who loved a challenge and figuring something out, whether it be a crime or a person.

Very cool film.

Can't say I like turning Holmes into a hard-partying action hero.

Good movie? Perhaps. Sherlock Holmes? Not really.

(and for the record, "Young Sherlock Holmes" was utter crap)

Not sure if you have seen it yet but hard partying is hardly him in this film.

What he did seems to fit with the times of new medicines and elixirs as well as him being intrinsicly curious.

http://www.zimbio.com/Robert+Downey+Jr./articles/u13FLPZRhKq/Sherlock+Holmes+Sequel+Threatened+Homosexual

Andrea Plunket holds the copyright to the Sherlock Holmes stories, and she's not so pleased about some comments Robert Downey Jr. made regarding the main characters' sexuality. After Downey mentioned Sherlock and his sidekick Dr. Watson could be portrayed as a gay couple, Plunkett vowed not to allow a sequel if director Guy Ritchie decides to take it the story in that direction.

She said: “I hope this is just an example of Mr. Downey's black sense of humor. It would be drastic, but I would withdraw permission for more films to be made if they feel that is a theme they wish to bring out in the future. I am not hostile to homosexuals, but I am to anyone who is not true to the spirit of the books.”

Plunket’s worries were sparked after Downey said in an interview with US talk show host David Letterman that Sherlock could be considered a “butch homosexual.” It is not the first time Downey has spoken about the implied “bromance” between Holmes and Watson, who is played by Jude Law.

He said: “I think the word bromance is so passe. We are two men who happen to be roommates who wrestle a lot and share a bed."

In the books, Holmes was very clean and not a womanizer. Some people have even read into his character that he was gay. Would have been an interesting way to go...:P

A womanizer, no. But clean? Wasn't he addicted to cocaine in the books?

As a "House" fan, I was impressed with how similar the relationship between Holmes and Watson, and House and Wilson is. With Holmes constantly testing the bounds of the friendship, and intentionally pissing off his best and only friend. And Holmes delving into periods of self-destruction and addiction when his mind isn't occupied with a case. I think I will enjoy house even more now I know how close it is to the material it's inspired by.

Archived