• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let’s talk Brian Burns (trade)

ncfan

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Are you signing them as intention as your 2 starters.

I know YGM has had 1.5 games of looking good this year. 
But are you wanting a guy who was on the verge of being cut coming out of camp as your full time starter beyond this year on a smaller extension?

Rotational.  Haynes has been extended twice before.  YGM isn't going anywhere.  They are depth this year, they can be depth next.  We can draft a guy of go the FA route.  What I feel we can't do is be married to a Burns mega-deal.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Rotational.  Haynes has been extended twice before.  YGM isn't going anywhere.  They are depth this year, they can be depth next.  We can draft a guy of go the FA route.  What I feel we can't do is be married to a Burns mega-deal.

So we’ll extend both Haynes And YGM,  both who are set to hit FA at years end.  Then use the 1st from Burns on a Edge or pay above market price for one of these guys?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/edge//

Edited by ncfan

3 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I love Luuvu and hope he is here pst this season.

But I know of at least 1 sack he got last week was a direct result of Carr stepping up to avoid Burns and stepped right into Luuvu for the Sack.  
In addition, how many sacks do you see him to continue from that LB if Evero leaves and a new DC comes in?  Is a new DC going to utilize him in those exotic blitzes?

My point being Burns is produces in spurts.  He'll go off in one half of one game and then disappear for a while.  Good on the Panthers for telling Burns' agent he ain't getting top of the market value.

6 minutes ago, ncfan said:

So we’ll extend both Haynes And YGM,  both who are set to hit FA at years end.  Then use the 1st from Burns on a Edge or pay above market price for one of these guys?

Yup.  Above market on average dude over a crippling contract.  Maybe first or a second rounder, but yes, draft a guy.  Same principle of why we drafted a rookie QB; cheap contract and hopefully they can be developed.

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yup.  Above market on average dude over a crippling contract.  Maybe first or a second rounder, but yes, draft a guy.  Same principle of why we drafted a rookie QB; cheap contract and hopefully they can be developed.

Isn’t a big principle of drafting a rookie QB is yes to develop him.  But also afford you the cap flexibility to pay $$ at premium positions?

Edited by ncfan

16 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I think you can get a older vet from there like Z Smith for a decent price and a mid-level one while seeing if Barno, Haynes, or YGM can develop.  1st round goes to an offensive weapon.  Late round add more OL depth.  A FA LB or 2 is what we need also.  We should have a decent amount of cap space (especially if we don't extend Burns).  

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Not being obtuse.

Just speaking reality of the situation.

and this isn’t a NBA trade situation where you need matching salaries.  Burns will be a FA at years end.  So he will be dealt with the remaining portion of his rookie deal.  Or a tag and trade, which the team receiving him will still have to deal with the big elephant in the room of him wanting 30 mil.

We could take on a player of there’s with a big contract to help their cap situation.  But what sense is that if your just trading him for that late 1st rd pick primarily to help open cap by not paying him.

He is going to make what someone wants to pay him so let him find a trade partner and he would take whatever they are offering or not. Same as franchising him and letting him seek a partner at the end of the year, it helps the player re-adjust their values or they find a new sucker. It's not new territory at all. Eating some cap from a contract someone wants to dump works if we can eat the dead cap this year and free it up at the end of the year for free agents.

Worst case he walks and the Panthers get a 3rd comp pick, that is what the floor is with Burns now and it might happen with the way this is going so a late 1st isn't looking too bad. He thinks his value is much more than it should be so let the market dictate that to him since this team failed so miserably in handling this situation. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Isn’t a big principle of drafting a rookie QB is yes to develop him.  But also afford you the cap flexibility to pay $$ at premium positions?

That would be Brown who we pay.  It's finally clicked with him.  LBs are a dime a dozen.  In today's NFL on defense, you invest in your line and corners.  Kids are more athletic and faster now, so finding an edge/3-4 OLB in the draft is easier than it used to be.  If they can play the run too?  BONUS!

• Beer 1

If only someone could have seen all this coming? I was assured that trading Burns for 2 1sts and a 2nd was crazy. That he was worth the extra it would cost turning that deal down. And the Panthers would be able to get that deal anytime later if they wanted. Now, getting one late 1st is probably the best case scenario. Huddle logic wins again!!!!!

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, ncfan said:

Now we are left with only Barno and DJ Johnson as the Only edge rushers signed in the roster for next year.

Deciding whether to trade Burns or not based on our depth is irrelevant. Barno and DJ can do exactly what Burns has been doing for us these past 3 games, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! And they do it for cheaper! Burns has trade value based on his potential and that's his selling point. It's really a no brainer question when you look at the pros and cons. He is an expensive player that hasn't produced anything. Burns will not win you a football game, Bryce if surrounded by the right cast can win football games.  

9 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Deciding whether to trade Burns or not based on our depth is irrelevant. Barno and DJ can do exactly what Burns has been doing for us these past 3 games, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! And they do it for cheaper! Burns has trade value based on his potential and that's his selling point. It's really a no brainer question when you look at the pros and cons. He is an expensive player that hasn't produced anything. Burns will not win you a football game, Bryce if surrounded by the right cast can win football games.  

Not exactly. I'm sure every team that has to play Brian Burns double teams him which is why he disappears.  To be honest, I haven't re-watched the game but teams definitely gameplay around him and know how great he is. 

4 hours ago, Cam Lawter said:

Ill take a WR and a late first round pick for Burns. We can't win games with him so it doesn't matter. 

Also, you people are just flat out idiots with this Bryce thing. The dude has made some crazy anticipation passes and lost against a top 5 defense against the Saints. Can't even make it 3 games into the season and are calling him Clausen lmao. 

Yeah, I’m as down as anyone on this team, but the Bryce hate is getting out of control. He’s not playing well, but he’s also shown signs that he’ll be ok. I think the fact that Stroud has started off well is causing some people to lose their minds. 

• Pie 1

Just now, frankw said:

People are going to have to accept we are not trading our way out if this mess. We've been trying that for 3 seasons now and we've only dug ourselves into a deeper hole.

Exactly.

Tepper/Fitt are the problem. Until we do something with them these bad decisions will continue. This man walked in a room with a HC who was fired midseason and thought he would be a good coach to lead this team.

Then you have Fitt with his bad draft picks.smh

• Beer 1